Tesla 3's to be seen at your local Chademo soon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/10/telsa-model-3-chademo-charger-compatible/

Many links available. I think this is positive for the Leaf Community, as it will drive the Chademo usage, which should translate to more stations.

that said, I do fear that availability will start to be pressured in some areas with less supercharger coverage or with superchargers which are already overrun with traffic, as the extra $15 is worth saving an hour waiting for an available terminal.

Supercharger congestion is just about unheard of outside California, the Supercharger is cheaper and 4x faster, and you can count on two thumbs the number of Tesla owners in your area with a CHAdeMO adapter.

Way before you see a Model 3 at your favorite CHAdeMO watering hole, it will be occupied by a CCS car using the shared charger.

I am most curious to see if the 3s show up at the free Chademos in the area first.

For a while the 3’s occupied every free level 2 in our town almost around the clock until just last month when the village board instituted a $1/hour charge. The cars vanished overnight. I am happy to pay the dollar.

Will the free Chademos be next.

Actually for those on the board that have both a Newer Leaf and a 3, if you have an adaptor, you can get free Chademo from a number of stations nationwide with the no charge to charge card.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I am most curious to see if the 3s show up at the free Chademos in the area first.
To quote Bjorn Nyland, "free charging is the devil."

As for your mild case of paranoia, would you buy a CHAdeMO adapter for $450 in order to exploit a free CHAdeMO charger (until it is no longer free) ? Your free charging exploitation is safe from the Tesla armada, although I hope the free charging ends soon for the benefit of the network.

Let's try to keep this civil. And apostrophes are used for possessives and contractions, not to make plurals, despite widespread misunderstanding about that.

Hah, briefly thought about the CHAdeMO adapter for our Model 3 with the no charge to charge benefits of our newest Leaf.

Agree, ethical issues aside, the amount of squatting to recover the costs of the $450 adapter with free charging is a bit much. Also, plug-in squatters - no me gusta. Still, would like to have one of these for the unlikely emergency, but not at that price.

Certainly makes sense in Japan to use their extensive network there.

On a related note, we just did our first supercharging road trip from NorCal to Socal and back. Got back home a week ago, did ~1200 miles. We did have some supercharging congestion, but it was only a bit problematic in the cities (had to wait 10 min in Redondo Beach to charge and could have skipped this place).

One of the big problems is the legacy Model S/X drivers who can't resist the free supercharging and therefore don't charge at home when they should. As the supercharging network continues to build out and some of these late models retire, that should become less of an issue in CA - provided no more substantial free charging is issued.

iPlug, would love to hear your Leaf vs. model 3 comparisons owning both cars.

Agree that Japan (and a couple other island places) is best use case for getting the adapter, though from here and the Tesla board it sounds like there are still some more remote areas in Canada and the west where having a Chademo makes the difference.

Time will tell. I will report back in a month once they have sold a few thousand of them.

I agree that free charging isn’t good for long term health of the ecosystem.

Free public charging in public parking lots can be detrimental, but businesses like Kohl's and Price Chopper and Hannaford offering it to attract EV traffic can be quite positive - when done correctly. As in not putting the EV parking spots in prime locations. The key is to make the service attractive to people who are out for other reasons than doing their daily charging, and unattractive to those who are mooching.

LeftieBiker said:

Free public charging in public parking lots can be detrimental, but businesses like Kohl's and Price Chopper and Hannaford offering it to attract EV traffic can be quite positive - when done correctly. As in not putting the EV parking spots in prime locations. The key is to make the service attractive to people who are out for other reasons than doing their daily charging, and unattractive to those who are mooching.
Just get rid of it.
People abuse anything that is free. They charge when there is no need, and they stay on the EVSE/charger into the battery charge taper. In short, they behave in a manner that would not occur if they paid for the service.

Have you noticed how much of your forum time is spent policing spammers ?

Spammers get a free pass here because they don't get punished. Putting a 2 hour time limit on charging discourages the 'squatters.' Here we have problems with getting ICEd when EV spots are in prime locations, but very little trouble with squatters. As with many other mammalian behaviors, overcrowding aggravates existing bad behaviors*. Having opportunity charging available will remain important until almost all BEVs have 200+ miles ranges.

* Not that I'm really expecting cannibalism at public EV charging stations...

Soooooo, Tesla just randomly decided to make the T3 compatible with chademo for no reason then? Is that what we are all saying? Cause I remember something different when it was first revealed that they couldn't use the adapter.

As good as SC is, it has a long way to go. Or better put; if you have a long way to go, SC is the tits! But if you don't, then its a crap shoot. I live in an area that has a lot of chademo and no SC. We were supposed to get SC and that is likely still on the table...the far end of the table. As it stands the Olympia/Tacoma area is barren and the options on all points of the compass simply do not work.

Twice, I helped a lost soul in their T3 on how to get level 2 working at Tacoma Mall (no plug and pay here...need to plan) It was truly amazing that so many thought the idea of registering with a 3rd party network was so alien?

We also need to look at how many people who don't have effective home charging available. With the emergence of the used EV market and the T3, there has also emerged a new EVer who trickle charges at home or can't charge at home so a "faster" boost is needed occasionally when the electron drip cannot keep up.

Curious; does anyone know how many adapters Tesla has sold?

2hr free charging time limits are also badly abused here. Haven’t seen a free model that works yet. Not even for the business.

iPlug said:
2hr free charging time limits are also badly abused here. Haven’t seen a free model that works yet. Not even for the business.

They have 2 hour free level 2's at the mall COMPLETELY unenforced. I take my Son to a movie most Fridays and I plug in for that so closer to 3, sometimes nearly 4 on longer movies. They used to be overrun by T3's but guessing a lot got the car before they got home charging. It has died down quite a bit.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Curious; does anyone know how many adapters Tesla has sold?
A few hundred if memory serves, and I'll guess the lion's share went to Canada.

Tesla just randomly decided to make the T3 compatible with chademo for no reason then?
Japan

As it stands the Olympia/Tacoma area is barren and the options on all points of the compass simply do not work.
BS

I think it's great news, and look forward to supporting some of the Chademo stations in our area. i first used my Chademo on a SoCal to Canada road trip several years ago, especially along the Oregon coast away from the SC network. Worked great...Adds about 64 miles per half-hour.

When I bought a Model 3, I got another Chademo adapter second hand pretty cheap and now will be able to use that in my travels...

More throughput is good for DC Fast charge stations as it helps them bring in more revenue and pay for the electric bill (which has demand charges in many areas). More charges per month helps to dilute the costs on a per charge basis....

I purchased the CHAdeMO adaptor for my first Model S. Only had to use it a few times but back then the charging network had not really been built yet. Now the CHAdeMO network is really building out fast (PetroCanada). I suspect it will actually beat the Superchargers being built across Canada.
Having the adaptor will greatly improve my road trip planning.
I agree that very few Model 3 owners will bother paying that much for an adaptor just so they can use the free stations. We only have one CHAdeMO/CCS in Calgary and it is $20 per hour.

If Colorado carries through with its published plans to build CCS/CHAdeMO in the rural areas I visit, the adaptor could be useful. Not so much that I would buy one at $450 but inexpensive rentals are I think available.

Or I'll buy one and rent it out for ~ $20 a week plus S&H

Back