Interesting article about EVs at 0% range and their reserve capacity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

I don’t know if the manufacturers change this by market, but thought this was rather interesting. This points to a smaller reserve in the 40 than what’s been reported here. The article has some math issues, so for the Tesla, and Leaf 62 it appears there is a mistake in one of the figures. I think they meant to say the Tesla had. 20km reserve and the Leaf 62 a 40 km reserve (using some backward math).

Side note that both Leafs over performed on range. The Tesla slightly underperformed. The Kona and Niro blew it out of the water. The Kona range was on or with the Tesla Long Range model. Hoping those cars have nationwide distribution in the next couple years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forococheselectricos.com/2019/08/cuantos-kilometros-puede-recorrer-un-coche-electrico-con-0-kilometros-de-autonomia-en-su-marcador.html/amp

DougWantsALeaf said:
I don’t know if the manufacturers change this by market, but thought this was rather interesting. This points to a smaller reserve in the 40 than what’s been reported here. The article has some math issues, so for the Tesla, and Leaf 62 it appears there is a mistake in one of the figures. I think they meant to say the Tesla had. 20km reserve and the Leaf 62 a 40 km reserve (using some backward math).

Side note that both Leafs over performed on range. The Tesla slightly underperformed. The Kona and Niro blew it out of the water. The Kona range was on or with the Tesla Long Range model. Hoping those cars have nationwide distribution in the next couple years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forococheselectricos.com/2019/08/cuantos-kilometros-puede-recorrer-eh. un-coche-electrico-con-0-kilometros-de-autonomia-en-su-marcador.html/amp

Yah. I caught the math thing. Using 40 instead of 4 km reconciles their math.

Meh. Will be getting out to stretch and charge long before then.

Leftie,

I agree that the editing left a lot to be desired, but it is certainly a test worth running, as the different EV's do leave quite a different amount of range hidden (...below the table??).

The Kona range (and Niro) continue to impress in article after article (editing issues and all).

While I do enjoy my plus, I do think that its Kia and Hyundai which will be the force for Tesla to deal with on the budget end of the Model 3 spectrum. They offer superior range and I would argue similar amenities to the SR/SR+ at the price point. If EA and EVGO continue to build out quickly, the Supercharging advantage is significantly diminished. The remaining question is the availability on Kia/Hyundai's end.

On the premium end...there will by many competitors, which appear to be just now waking up. In spite of range issues, the iPace has been getting a number of good reviews. So if 200 miles meets your needs, it becomes all about style, handling, etc...

Nissan needs to up their game a bit. They have momentum sales from the early Leaf, and now a number of new market sales, but that window is limited. While I enjoy my Leaf, we have also had great experiences with Kias...so they were lucky the Niro wasn't available in Chicago yet.

DougWantsALeaf said:
the Tesla had. 20km reserve and the Leaf 62 a 40 km reserve
Just because one time someone claimed they managed to go "20km at 0%" doesn't mean the car has a 20Km reserve.

I've never had either of my Tesla's below 25 miles remaining. There's no reason to. I had my LEAF down close to (but never hit) turtle a few times.

Back