johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Re: Miles per KWH - is it accurate?

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:08 am

Look, this easy enough to do if you have LeafSpy. Note your starting Gid's value, reset the trip meter and reset the mi/KWH meter. Drive the car for a while and note the current Gid's value, mi. driven, and the Mi/KWH value. Subtract the current Gid's value from the starting value and multiply the result by the KWH constant per gid. That gives you the number of KWH used. Divide the miles driven by the number of KWH calculated to get mi/KWH. Compare that to the dash gauge.

When I do this, the value I get is consistently a couple of tenth's lower than the dash gauge. What I'm curious about is what other people are seeing.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Re: Miles per KWH - is it accurate?

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:46 am

johnlocke wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:08 am
Look, this easy enough to do if you have LeafSpy. Note your starting Gid's value, reset the trip meter and reset the mi/KWH meter. Drive the car for a while and note the current Gid's value, mi. driven, and the Mi/KWH value. Subtract the current Gid's value from the starting value and multiply the result by the KWH constant per gid. That gives you the number of KWH used. Divide the miles driven by the number of KWH calculated to get mi/KWH. Compare that to the dash gauge.

When I do this, the value I get is consistently a couple of tenth's lower than the dash gauge. What I'm curious about is what other people are seeing.
Gid's are not accurate measurements of energy. You do know that the "kWh constant per Gid" isn't constant, correct? Get an EVSE that measures kWh to a reasonable accuracy. Remember to multiply by the charging efficiency.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”