Removed for privacy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^^ What jvl said!. LeafSpy will allow you to see exactly the battery condition and capacity.

I’ve been using it for years on my 3rd Leaf. Right now I can see I’ve lost 4% of capacity on my 2019 since I purchased it 9 months ago.

Here are SOH, State of Health, screen snapshots of my original 2015 .

One is from 11/2015 with 460 miles on the odometer. It shows 95% SOH

Other is from 5/2018 with 10, 565 miles on odometer. It shows 85% SOH

WYrTyxgl.jpg

uRupZuJl.jpg

cherylrowe said:
I have a 2011 that's always been a CA car. Replaced the battery pack in January 2018 when the capacity was at 7 bars and range was averaging 55-60 since my daily commute is 50. Assume it was the lizard pack installed in 2018. Now two years later I'm still at 12 bars capacity by my range is dropping heavily. The guess-o-meter actually showed 65 at 100% charge when I got in this morning. Got to work 25 miles later and had 62 from hypermiling. The range has started anywhere from 65-95 over the past month but it was as high as 110 when new. It's dropping faster when I drive and I'm a conservative driver. Got home with 14 miles left one day after less than 60 miles of driving. No climate control running, just the radio and I live in one of the most temperate climates in the world so it's not weather related.
Had the local Nissan dealer do basic and advanced battery testing and they're showing no issues. Any thoughts on what might be happening? I bought the new battery knowing it would take me 4-5 years of driving to recoup the cost but now I'm wondering if I can make it that long given how fast it's dropping and my commute.
I'm curious who you had install a 30kwh battery in an '11 Leaf, I can't believe it was Nissan.....
If it were Nissan they would have only installed the same 24kwh battery as OEM. BTW your photos don't show up :?

Also, I wonder if the OP realizes that the 12th bar represents 15% of the capacity. You can have 12 bars showing and have lost 14.99% or more capacity...

If you right-click you can open his images in a separate tab

He is at SOH of 88.95%, 56.75 Amp-hr

Oddly though his full charge is only 92.7%.SOC. Not sure what is normal but my 2018 at "100%" is usually around 98% in Leaf Spy.

She has at least 2 cells that are lagging all the rest by ~17mV, cells #17 and 80, plus there may be others, but those stick out as easiest to see.

The cells may be defective, or maybe they will balance back up to the rest, but as long as they lag then the average voltage will be pulled down and the range will be affected (as observed).

i would recommend to drive the car down to a really low level, such as 1 bar on the "fuel" gauge, then take another screenshot of the cell voltages. This should show a bigger voltage difference if there is a defective cell. Then charge on L1 or L2 and let it go until it stops on it's own--no timer. This will allow the balancers to do their job for as long as possible. But a defective cell(s) can't be brought back into balance. Good Luck hope you get a new pack if the cells are bad.

I think that many of us have noticed a significant loss in range when the SOH goes below 90% - I did with my 2013 SV. I've theorized before that it's because when it's dropping before that, we are still increasing our driving efficiency, and largely compensate for the loss. By the time it dips below 90%, though, we have stopped becoming more efficient drivers, and at the same time the loss becomes pronounced enough for us to notice it on longer drives.

As long as no cells are not in view and low, that's now a well-balanced pack. I suspect that it was what I suggested above about noticing range loss once it's below 90% capacity, possibly combined with a couple of low cells affecting the range a bit.

Cell #17 is still lagging by 14mV and has not been brought up by balancing. It is causing the overall and average voltage to be held down, and this is why it indicates only 92% SOC instead of something closer to 100%.

My experience with consistently-lagging cells such as this is that they are somehow defective and do not heal themselves even with repeated balancing charges such as you did.

The best case is that it will degrade rapidly such that it is clearly evident to nissan using the Consult Tool that the cell is defective under warranty.

Cell #17 is still lagging by 14mV and has not been brought up by balancing. It is causing the overall and average voltage to be held down, and this is why it indicates only 92% SOC instead of something closer to 100%.

14mv isn't generally considered a big difference. Are you sure about this? I'd do a couple of 100% (indicated) charges from a low SOC (and then drive the car immediately afterwards to get the SOC back down) to see if it improves any more.

I am curious to see if the 90% SOH rule holds on our second Leaf, as we are already experienced drivers. My guess is that I will start to feel it below 95% this time. You do get a little more efficient with the tires after the first few K miles. Having tires with 44psi rating helps a few percent as well.

We will see. With our 2013, I got the best runs in my second not first summer. Hopefully that holds up with the Plus this summer as well.

I very curious to see how well these bigger packs hold up. I know thermal MGMT is non trivial, but it doesn’t feel like many of the other manufacturers have had as many issues as some of the Leaf model years (2011-2012 and 2016-2017).

I am curious to see if the 90% SOH rule holds on our second Leaf, as we are already experienced drivers. My guess is that I will start to feel it below 95% this time.

I agree. The 90% "rule" (more like a guesstimate) applies mainly to EV newbies. When you've lost 1/20th of your range, it will become apparent in at least some situations.

Back