Passenger/Cargo Weight and Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lupus

I know there are easily found guidelines for how fast an ICE car loses mpg per weight added, but is there any guidance on that for a Leaf? I tried searching for it but didn't find anything under "weight" or "fat" (no jokes please).

I occasionally add about 300 lbs in the passenger seat and another 50 in the trunk. How much is that going to kill the range? I myself am not exactly a featherweight, but I'm not too concerned. I would think an additional person makes more difference than me dropping 20 lbs.

I want to plan so I never have to answer why the car didn't go very far with a friend in it as opposed to driving alone.

The basic physics is the same as with an ICE, with one exception: every time you accelerate, the extra weight will cost a little extra energy, but when you slow the car, if you can use mainly regenerative braking, you get back maybe 25 or 30% of that energy. So the overall hit to range can be reduced with careful driving.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect some Newtonian physics gets you close enough to an answer...

The force needed (wheel torque) to accelerate the car is equal to the mass of the vehicle (including passengers) times the rate of acceleration. f=ma

Adding 400 lbs of weight to your LEAF will increase the total mass by about 10%. Since most of the pack energy is used for acceleration of the vehicle, then expect a 10% increase in energy use (so a 10% loss of range) while accelerating. When doing regen, you gain some of that back, but Nissan limited regen on the LEAF so not as much as one would hope for.

That helps conceptually. I'll post results at some point. Might be helpful to the community at large with enough aggregated data. Hopefully I can get accurate and precise measurements with weight being the variable. Not that I would weigh everyone and everything that goes in my car each time! I'll estimate.

I'm glad it isn't going to cut the range in half or something drastic. I have to admit physics wasn't my best science in school.

There is a great trip calculation tool - abetterrouteplanner.com
This lets you pick your car and set numerous parameters for your trip including weight.
The software will then route you through charge points with charge time and travel time estimates.
Put in a common trip you make and play with the parameters. Iv'e tested this on several trips this winter and it is quite accurate.

Greg

gregn said:
ABRP is great. It started Tesla-only and has widened it's scope. If you use it and like it, consider a small donation to the authors.

Lupus said:
That helps conceptually. I'll post results at some point. Might be helpful to the community at large with enough aggregated data. Hopefully I can get accurate and precise measurements with weight being the variable. Not that I would weigh everyone and everything that goes in my car each time! I'll estimate.

I'm glad it isn't going to cut the range in half or something drastic. I have to admit physics wasn't my best science in school.

These concerns are really irrelevant. What does it matter if when you take passengers, you get 5, 10, 15% less mileage?

Doesn't one have more important things to do?

jlv said:
gregn said:
ABRP is great. It started Tesla-only and has widened it's scope. If you use it and like it, consider a small donation to the authors.

I had been wondering if donating was possible. I had never scrolled down on their about page. The software is so easy I never needed to look up anything.
There are donate buttons on the bottom of that page. Definitely worth it. A lot of work went into this.

I drive mostly highway and when I load the leaf up with 400 to 500lb of wood pellets or coal I barely notice any difference.
I put a few bags in the floor of the front seat then the rest on the floor of the back seat and on the back seat it's self.

Back