Leaf with 170000 miles w only 2 bars gone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I found a forum in England. This lady has a fleet of Leaf taxis. Here are a few of her comments. Thread listed below. Fun Read

...LEAF that sparked an electric taxi revolution in Cornwall has clocked up its 100,000th mile without losing a single bar of battery life*. ‘Wizzy’ as it was named by St Austell-based operators C&C Taxis, hit the milestone in the course of more than 25,000 pure electric paying fares and having...

Wizzy has now done more than 170,000 miles and is still used daily. Soon to be pensioned off and replaced by a 30kwh. Thought we would post a picture to show the resilience of the LEAFs battery. Even now in the winter we can get about 65 miles. It has a lifetime average of 3.9 miles per kw.
Has much gone wrong on the car over 170k miles?

A couple of track rod ends, each lower arm, 2 link rods, 1 front shock and the car has never failed us in all it's miles. Drivers seat has seen better days. Car is still on it's second replacement pads front and back. Never ever replaced the discs.

Wizzy' has been rapid charged 3786 times & L2 charged 8925 times. We think it has lost about 26% of the battery.

We have seven 30kWh LEAFS. One has done 62,000 miles already. We seem to get inaccurate readings with leafspy. Can you adjust leafspy to read 30kWh LEAF?

Wizzy has now retired from taxi life. We might still use it as a runabout so it will amass a few more miles. It has far exceeded our expectations and has never broken down (maybe ran out of power a couple of times) still has it's original 12V battery and other than a couple of track rod ends, each lower arm, each link rod, one front shock failure (about 120,000m, we replaced both for safety), pollen filter, 3 set of wiper blades, two sets of brake pads front and rear and tyres. The car is still running on its original motor, battery pack and reduction gear. We hope this instills confidence in all owners of LEAF and maybe help people considering the leap into the EV world. You will wonder why you ever drove diesel/petrol polluting our world. Thank you all for following Wizzys adventure. Who knows how long Wizzy will go on....

There's no magic to how we managed 174,000 miles out of 'Wizzy' and only lost 2 bars. Wizzy has been rapid charged more than 3500 times. This is our take on battery degradation- An idle battery grows dendrites and probably faster at higher states of charge. The closest analogy is a rolling stone gathers no moss, because we were constantly either using the battery or charging the battery there was less time for the dendrites to grow. We also feel there are greater or lesser loses which we can't explain by driving/charging an EV without the battery being at the optimum temperature. This is where battery (pre)conditioning would help (not sure if that makes sense).

here is the post with Wizzi's leaf spy

Managed to get a LeafSpy of 'Wizzy' today. Capacity does fluctuate but today it is showing about 12.5% loss. Not bad for the miles and charges. :love:LEAF

https://www.speakev.com/threads/c-c-taxis-leafspy-screen-grab-from-102-453-gen-2-leaf.8862/#post-125700

https://www.speakev.com/threads/the-battery-health-thread.18923/page-11

So heat and leaving them charged to 100% is whats killing them.
I spent a summer in London the climate there was pretty mild.

makes you wonder if cars used less due to the pandemic shorten their battery life due to them not being a rolling stone. On not letting it sit at 100% and in heat we should start seeing lots of people in forums and various groups start doing a lot better then. Your average car buyer is different as they may unthinkingly charge to 100% every day and just leave it there not sure how to help them except a buffer capacity so they can't charge to 100.

salyavin said:
On not letting it sit at 100% and in heat we should start seeing lots of people in forums and various groups start doing a lot better then. Your average car buyer is different as they may unthinkingly charge to 100% every day and just leave it there not sure how to help them except a buffer capacity so they can't charge to 100.

This is why the 80% (charge) option on MY 2011-12 Leafs is so important. I will never understand why Nissan removed it (and I've read all the explanations).

I left my leaf at 50% SOC during the whole pandemic, and put the 12V on a maintainer for exactly this reason.

Lithium batteries are best stored between 40-60% SOH.

Back