Remote climate control + EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnom

With the autumn being back I'm starting to need to heat my car, and there is something I don't get about the remote climate control. When I'm at home, my car is plugged to my EVSE (2.3 kW). I thought that by starting the climate control remotely it would run off the EVSE and not the battery, helping me save a few additional percents, as this is what I found in the user manual:
When the charge connector is connected, the climate control operates using electric power. When the charge connector is disconnected from the vehicle, the climate control operates using vehicle battery electric power.

and
Air conditioning is limited to the capacity of the electric power when the charge connector is connected to the vehicle. Therefore, the tem- perature may not reach a comfortable level due
to performance of the air conditioning being limited, if the outside temperature is excessively high or low, or if the charge connector is con- nected to a 120V outlet.

Based on this, I would expect that the battery wouldn't be used, even if there wasn't enough power available to achieve the desired temperature (which is ok, a little bit warmer is better than nothing).

However, on the first few tries, my battery was at 76 % when I arrived (it is set to charge until 80 %), so it seems that climate control has been using the battery after all. Is there something I missed? A setting I should have done, or an update that changed the behavior described in the manual?

The climate control always runs from the traction battery - there is no direct connection from the charging port to the climate control. This means that if you use an EVSE that provides less power than the climate control requires, you lose charge. If it provides about 16 amps at 240 volts, you break even, more or less, and if you are charging at more than 16A/240V you gain charge as the climate control runs.

Back