Parked for a week or two. How much bleed-off?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left mine for ten days a while back and could detect no difference on my return. It was parked indoors so no light on the solar panel...

mwalsh said:
Anyone left their car for a week or two yet without charging? If you have, did you see much in the way of bleed-off from the pack over that time?

I asked Nissan about this and they told me 3% bleed-off per month. If this is true or not I have no idea.

I have more concerns about my Murano going unused for a month at a time. Since I'm commuting in my Xebra, my wife is commuting in the Leaf, and the Leaf is now our weekend car instead of the Murano, it's sitting a LOT more now. I think I've only driven it once in all of April, since we picked up the Leaf on April 1! :D

So, here is a question... If you have you car hooked up to an EVSE all that time, does it top off that bleed-off automatically?

kolmstead said:
Mike, if you're going to let it sit for more than a few days, run it down to 80% or so before you leave. Everything I've read indicates that these batteries don't like to sit fully charged for prolonged periods. They get shipped from Japan at what, 40% or so?

-Karl

No problem. It'll be sat at somewhere between 67% and 50% for the duration. And I'll not even need to charge for the trip home if it isn't going to bleed down by any more than a partial (or even a single full) SOC bar.

The rate of bleed-off (or self discharge) is strongly dependent on the battery temperature. A car sitting outside in Phoenix (maybe much higher than 100 F) during summer will self discharge much quicker than one in San Francisco (maybe close to 65 F). As a rough rule-of-thumb, the self-discharge rate may double for every 20 F increase in temperature if the self discharge is due to a chemical reaction. I guess the temperature in the LA area is somewhere between Phoenix and SF in the summer.

Yeah I had the car sitting in garage for 3 days as I was out of town for the weekend and then today only took it out at 9 pm. Funny enough this was also the first time I charged it only to 80% but my DB in eco showed 93. At 100% it used to show 117 before so it seems like it was fine. 3 days is too short I think though.

seems like discharge rates if "properly stored" for Li ion is a very small discharge per month.

afaik; good storage means not too hot, not too cold, not too discharged not too charged.

so i take that to mean garaged (even with temps in 20s it stays in low 50's in my garage. and SOC between 50-80%.

i kinda tested this by turning on my Cellphone, granted not the same but still has Li batt (one that would near dead with day with normal use) now dont remember what the charge was when i turned it off, but its been off for 6 months. it powered up just fine and had between `40-60% charge. (4 segment indicator with 2 segments lit so take that to mean whatever)

DaveinOlyWA said:
afaik; good storage means not too hot, not too cold, not too discharged not too charged.

Cold is good, it preserves the battery.. slows down the aging process and the chemical reaction.. I guess until the electrolyte freezes. I would assume the Leaf shuts off all housekeeping drains after a while.

any idea of what is considered too hot then? my garage faces the setting sun so it can get pretty warm in the summer. probably at least 80 (which may not sound like much but keep in mind average highs for July, our hottest month is 78º)

Slight off-topic although related.
Yesterday I unintentionally left the car turned ON parked near my office.
In about six hours I lost a few bars, 20 miles in range, and my average was down from around 5.0 to 3.1.

jason98 said:
Slight off-topic although related.
Yesterday I unintentionally left the car turned ON parked near my office.
In about six hours I lost a few bars, 20 miles in range, and my average was down from around 5.0 to 3.1.
That's actually kinda useful - it gives us some decent idea of what the baseline loads on the vehicle are, which I suspect are mostly consistent regardless of driving conditions... but only kinda useful because it's not very precise ;)

Seems pretty small but "a few bars" over "about six hours" will add up over time I guess. Certainly if mwalsh left his car on for two weeks he'd come home to an unusable vehicle!
=Smidge=

That seems to be unacceptably high. Was there any accessories. Climate controls etc on?

20% while sitting over 6 hours is 4.8/6 that seems like too much.

DaveinOlyWA said:
That seems to be unacceptably high. Was there any accessories. Climate controls etc on?

Nope. No a/c, no lights. Just the "Other Systems", you know? It eats 0.250 kw pretty much consistently.

Back