martindfw
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011

Help - On the fence about Leaf purchase!!! Range Question

Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 pm

First of all let me start out by saying hi! I'm new here, however, I've been lurking for awhile before I registered and have read numerous threads on this site. I even test drove the Leaf when they had the Leaf Experience tour here in the DFW area and fell in love with the little EV that is the Leaf.

That said, I'm torn as to whether or not the Leaf is for me due to my commute needs - 72 miles round-trip. The commute is about 30 miles interstate with the rest being on surface streets with no real fluctuations in elevation. Additionally, I will not have any way to charge the Leaf at the courthouse and I sure as heck don't anticipate an EV charging station coming on-line anytime soon. So that said is the Leaf for me??? What do you current owners think: will the Leaf make my commute, or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Re: Help - On the fence about Leaf purchase!!! Range Questio

Tue May 10, 2011 7:47 pm

I think you'd be OK initially, particularly if you use ECO mode, stay at 60-65 on the freeway and don't drive around much once you get to work. However, there is the big unknown of battery capacity loss over time. You may not be OK in the future... Though if there's a 120v outlet available you could trickle charge at work and I think you'd definitely be OK with that extra comfort zone.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Adrian
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue May 10, 2011 7:50 pm

My commute is similar in distance; 74 miles round trip, of which about 70 are freeway, rest surface streets. If I stay below 65 MPH on the fwy and take it easy on the street, I can make the round trip with no issues. Since your commute includes more street driving than mine, I think you should be fine since energy consumption is lower at lower speeds. As long as you don't plan on driving faster than 65 on the fwy, I think you should be fine. The only unknown is battery capacity loss over time.
2013 grey Chevy Volt
2011 Red Leaf
Lease returned early due to battery capacity loss

martindfw

Tue May 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies. Do either of you use A/C on your commutes?

jjssd

Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 pm

It is doable. It would be an easier decision if there is a Nissan dealer on route where you could use their charger if something unusual came up.

martindfw

Tue May 10, 2011 8:31 pm

jjssd wrote:It is doable. It would be an easier decision if there is a Nissan dealer on route where you could use their charger if something unusual came up.
No luck there as I'm commuting out of the DFW area into the less populated surrounding counties which are solely the domain of Ford and GM dealers.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Tue May 10, 2011 8:33 pm

My commute is normally short, but I have taken the LEAF on 70+ mile freeway junkets. ECO mode helps a lot and the heater makes a much bigger difference than the A/C does.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Randy3

Tue May 10, 2011 8:36 pm

You didn't mention climate changes. We're getting some hot days in Fresno. A/C isn't taking up much power, but the heater takes a good 10% when in use.

Other than that, if you keep it below 65 mph, I think you can do it. I've gone 92 miles on even elevaton at a mix of 45-60 mph and had two bars left when I got home. The fact that you don't have hills to climb means you can control your range easily by just slowing down if you have to. As you've read in other posts, the range difference between going 45 and 60 is amazing.

Maybe a lease?
Randy
Fresno, CA
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

sdbonez
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue May 10, 2011 8:46 pm

I don't recommend the Leaf to regular people I talk to in San Diego who do regular driving unless their roundtrip is 50 miles or less w/no extreme elevation changes. There's a lot to take into consideration and you're right at the EPA's recommended range with your stated commute. A key factor will be how flat your off-highway commute really is.. and how fast you go off-highway. Can you hypermile it and make it? Likely.

You also don't state whether it's 30miles each way on the freeway + 6 miles on surface streets each way --- or 30 miles total on the freeway out of your 72. That makes a big difference.
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

leafme
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0200

Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm

martindfw wrote:First of all let me start out by saying hi! I'm new here, however, I've been lurking for awhile before I registered and have read numerous threads on this site. I'm torn as to whether or not the Leaf is for me due to my commute needs - 72 miles round-trip.
Hi Martin, Welcome.

When I'm asked, I say my LEAF gets about 70 freeway miles at 68 mph from 100% charge (after 4 months and 4,000 miles). That allows for any amount of use of climate control (which I run almost ALL the time), lights, wipers, and let's not forget... music (the heater burns through more juice than the AC does). I'd say it might work for you since more than half of your trip is not at freeway speeds. Edmunds.com drove it in the flat desert to dead stop after 132 miles at a constant 35 mph. Over time we know where the battery capacity is headed but it might work fine for you. If your crazy about owning and driving one I say go for it. I'm crazy, I own one, and am loving it (34 mi/day, 85% freeway, nightly charging to 80%). Very smooth freeway ride (stereo is terrible so Randy and I beefed up the sound system with a pair of bazooka woofers in the trunk - search for Randy's thread on this subject).

Malcolm :geek:

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”