cdub
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

RULES FOR NEW LEAF OWNERS

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:56 pm

RULES:

#1. If you think that it would be fun and exciting to drive your new Leaf 30 miles to Santa Monica to try and find Chargepoint chargers in the Santa Monica Mall for the first time WITH YOUR WIFE AND 2 SMALL KIDS. It won't be. Don't do it.

#2. If you think it will be easy to use Chargepoint chargers without a card yet and it will be so easy to call and use them. IT WON'T BE. The call center is in India and they couldn't get either of the 2 available chargers working for me.

#3. Don't go following those "Electric Vehicle Charging" blue signs. They're paddle chargers and 10 years old.

#4. If you're at home for an hour before you head out and are 2 bars down and your wife says should we plug it in... the answer is YES!

#5. This is the most important. See rule #1.

Thank you Santa Monica Nissan for letting me charge my car for the long surface street ride back to Glendale in ECO. After I spent 2 hours trying to get chargepoint chargers to work and driving around to outdated chargers on Montana and City Hall.

The infrastructure isn't there yet... it's getting there - but we're bleeding edge. But I love my car... it'll just be a while before I attempt that again.
La Crescenta, CA
Nissan LEAF™ ETEC trim, Cayenne Red
Reserved: 4/20
Ordered: 10/16 (Sept. order)
Delivered: 6/2 (4-22er)

VIN: 2106

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Re: RULES FOR NEW LEAF OWNERS

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the advice, cdub!

We're planning such a trip from Irvine, but...

1. No kids, just two adults who are up for the adventure.
2. I have my Chargepoint card and I'm planning to test it at South Coast Plaza before the trip to SM.
3. I have apps to map my route to charging stations at Santa Monica Place and/or the Pier.
4. SM Nissan was my fallback choice. Or maybe I'll contact one of our SM friends to get a charge from her home EVSE.

I'll report on our experience, as you have. :)
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cdub

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Well prepared. I was winging it. Bad idea. :)
La Crescenta, CA

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Boomer23 wrote:2. I have my Chargepoint card and I'm planning to test it at South Coast Plaza before the trip to SM.
I can assure you South Coast Plaza ChargePoint charging stations are working just fine as I was there this evening.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

Lopton
Delivery Date: 04 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300864

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:26 pm

I can vouch for the Santa Monica chargepoint stations, they work great with a card. Only potential issue I had was there were 2 Volts there when I got there :P

Cdub, you missed out though, 3 blocks away you could have parked on the Santa Monica pier (would have cost you a couple bucks) and charged for free with the Clipper Creek charger there (or tried to get the Chargepoint customer service to unlock the 120V outlet). It is kinda neat parking on the pier though and being right there at the beach.

-Matt
PS: we keep our chargepoint card in the glovebox at all times, that way it isn't in my wallet or her purse at the wrong time :roll:
PSS: BTW we have done the trip to Santa Monica several times, and we are in Lakeview Terrace (just down the road)
Original 2011 Leaf SV #857 - Total Loss on 11/27/2015
New 2016 Leaf SL #300864

cdub

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:34 pm

The trip would have been perfect if those people in the Indian call center would have turned those chargepoint chargers on.

My cards should arrive next week though.

How many bars does it take to get back to Glendale on the freeway? I worry about the climb up the 2.
La Crescenta, CA

Lopton
Delivery Date: 04 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300864

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:42 pm

I have only done the climb up the 2 once, and I didn't really keep track of the bars (got sidetracked) but noticed while it eats through the charge the Leaf seems to go up the hill easier then my Honda Insight does .

I'll do it again and actually keep track of bars one of these days.

We usually take the 118 to the 405 down. We can make it there and back easy without charging.

-Matt
Original 2011 Leaf SV #857 - Total Loss on 11/27/2015
New 2016 Leaf SL #300864

Caracalover
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0567

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Cdub, I drove my LEaf up the Angeles Crest today, started with almost a full charge and went up to MT Lowe (Almost to Mt Wilson) before turning around, heading back to the Angeles Forest hwy, cruising over to the Big Tujunga turnoff, and then going back the way we came. I got back home with 5 bars of charge remaining, started with one down, so it cost me about 6 bars to go 50 miles with a large amount of elevation shift. I have found that ten miles per bar is pretty average and I have done 85 with the AC on up the 2 from the 134 to the 210. The more you get to know the car the more you will trust it. I live a ways up the hill in Altadena, so I don't like to charge to 100%. Might just as well gain energy going down the hill. With an 80% charge the "range" meter says 62 miles, but by the time I get to the freeway it is reading upwards of eighty. I have also found that using eco mode only to slow the vehicle and a light foot in drive mode is actually more efficient.You still regen in drive mode, but you maintain or gain speed going downhill - so let it coast to a little over the speed limit, then eco mode it back down and at most stops. City driving is fine if you can maintain a constant speed, but eats up just as much energy as the freeway if you have a lot of stops. Best mileage in LA is in heavy traffic moving less than 65, so you can now enjoy traffic jams without worry - you are gaining charge while others are using gas.
26,000 miles on Silver Leaf
wildcatzoo.org drive there on Sunday across a big mountain, sorry no public charging at this time.
Looking for grants to put in solar port so perhaps in the future...

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:02 am

Caracalover wrote:I have found that ten miles per bar is pretty average and I have done 85 with the AC on up the 2 from the 134 to the 210.
I'm guessing that you haven't gotten the April firmware upgrade, right? I think ten miles per bar is really high with that change. ... But then maybe you do have it, and are just a much better EV driver than I am.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:25 am

As I try to tell my wife's kids/grand kids.....an easy life is all in the planning. Not only do you need a plan A, you should always have a plan B. And in some instances a plan C isn't a bad idea either. You seem to realize your mistakes, so I won't rag you on them too badly. But....

You shouldn't have started out for a 60 mile r/t without 100% charge (then you wouldn't have needed to charge at all).

You should have waited for your Charge Point charge card to arrive.

You should have scoped out all the charging opportunities in advance. The thread I made here on my visit to SM wouldn't have been a bad place to start - you would have at least found the info for the charger on the Pier, if nothing else.

Santa Monica Nissan should have always been on your radar as plan C. And, in fact, I would have even put a shout out on here for a plan D - someone in the neighborhood who maybe wouldn't have minded you using their L2 for a few hours, like Mallory for example.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 85,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses