RevBrent

Re: Nervous about this trip, but locked into it..

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:37 pm

91040 wrote:RevBrent- A very strong second to what jimmydreams just posted. Being about a 1000' higher than LA proper, energy usage on the way home is much higher on the way back.
What you and others posted certainly turned out to be true. I used barely 5 bars on the way to O'side and then 6 on the way home. I pulled into the driveway with one bar left, 9 miles listed on the guessometer, and no low battery warnings. I never really worried because it never looked like I wouldn't make it....it would just be close. I drove 60 both ways in Eco, but no Climate Control on the way home (it was night anyway.)

I'm very pleased with my results and my "real world" sense of the range of the car. My final thoughts were that it would be great somehow if the map in the car could somehow take elevation change into account when giving you the estimated range. Or is there a possibility it does that already?

occ
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:22 pm

RevBrent wrote:
91040 wrote:RevBrent- A very strong second to what jimmydreams just posted. Being about a 1000' higher than LA proper, energy usage on the way home is much higher on the way back.
What you and others posted certainly turned out to be true. I used barely 5 bars on the way to O'side and then 6 on the way home. I pulled into the driveway with one bar left, 9 miles listed on the guessometer, and no low battery warnings. I never really worried because it never looked like I wouldn't make it....it would just be close. I drove 60 both ways in Eco, but no Climate Control on the way home (it was night anyway.)

I'm very pleased with my results and my "real world" sense of the range of the car. My final thoughts were that it would be great somehow if the map in the car could somehow take elevation change into account when giving you the estimated range. Or is there a possibility it does that already?
That's very encouraging for my attempt from Kerney Mesa (Or Poway) to my home in Tustin (87miles) when I take delivery...and I'd be going the "right" direction. When you took that leg from San Diego North on I-5 at 60mph, did you have any problems with faster traffic? Did you use cruise control or did you play up-hill/down-hill with varying (gas) pedal? How about wind at the time, anything noticeable? Thanks.

JimmyD offered me a charge at his residence (thanks Jimmy!) so I do have plan B, as well as several Nissan dealers along the way, but I'd really like to experience the range capability firsthand if I can.
2011 Nissan LEAF:
Res: 4/21/10 7am
RAQ: 11/23/10 (& ordered)
Delivered: 6/17 vin 4873
Toyota Rav4EV (2/27/13)
4Kw Solar PV

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:51 pm

74 miles in a loop should be easily managed without worry.

Now I read that you made it just fine, as expected ;)
Last edited by smkettner on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

RevBrent

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:55 pm

occ wrote:That's very encouraging for my attempt from Kerney Mesa (Or Poway) to my home in Tustin (87miles) when I take delivery...and I'd be going the "right" direction. When you took that leg from San Diego North on I-5 at 60mph, did you have any problems with faster traffic? Did you use cruise control or did you play up-hill/down-hill with varying (gas) pedal? How about wind at the time, anything noticeable? Thanks.

JimmyD offered me a charge at his residence (thanks Jimmy!) so I do have plan B, as well as several Nissan dealers along the way, but I'd really like to experience the range capability firsthand if I can.
The trip from SD to Oside was at 63 mph, cruise control, Eco, with climate control on. I just got in the slow lane and never really had a problem. At 63mph, I was pretty comfortable in the far right lane. Wind was the just the usual off the coast breeze. I'm thinking you will be just fine, but yes, it's good to have a Plan B!

garypq
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2018
Leaf Number: 308414

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:13 pm

RevBrent wrote:Well, my travel plans today have me a little nervous, but I'm locked into this. Today I'm scheduled to go from San Diego to Oceanside and back...approximately 74 highway miles. I'm going on Eco, 60mph and no CC. I thought about going up early and charging at Mossy Nissan Oceanside, but it would take me out of my way by about 8 miles and I could only charge there for about an hour. So that seems like a wash because I would probably only make back about 8 miles during that hour.

I'll be in the Oceanside Pier area. Does anyone know of a parking lot or garage with access to a 120 outlet that I could trickle charge with?

I'm feeling nervous, but we'll see what happens. Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into a "I should have known better" story!

Well, did you make it? Or are you still walking? :?:
2011 Cayenne Red
Knoxville TN
Reserved July 11, 2010 (Tour de France Nissan ad)
Ordered January 28, 2011
Delivery May 26, 2011
Left Japan before Tsunami, arrived Tennessee after Tornado/Hail storm

davewill

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:19 pm

garypq wrote:Well, did you make it? Or are you still walking? :?:
He already posted up above.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

GroundLoop

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:22 pm

I drove from Miramar to Oceanside (76) round-trip twice now, and both times ended up back with 5mi on the flashing display.

This was "keeping pace with traffic" and no attempt to hug the right lane. :)

Mx5racer

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:12 am

That's very encouraging for my attempt from Kerney Mesa (Or Poway) to my home in Tustin (87miles) when I take delivery
I got my car from Kerney Mesa, they moved the car to their Oceanside dealership and charged it fully there for me, 87 miles would be a very stressful first drive and trying to go slow on that part of the 5 is a challenge.
Silver SL
Yorba Linda, CA
5.9 Solar

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”