Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbrown125

Still trying to decide if the Leaf will work for me. The postings have the ranges across the board. I'm just trying to determine if it will get me to work. I live in the Inland Empire and drive to LA daily; 65 miles one way, 60 on the freeway. I currently have a Prius and know how to maximize the mileage. I consistantly get 52mpg after 170,000 miles. If I drive the leaf at a moderate speed 55 to 60, will I get at least 70 miles. Does anyone have any experience in this area. I'm a little concerned with the wind tunnel in the Fontana area. I love the car and technology, and I'm planning to install a couple of charging stations at work to support other drivers. Any advice for a newbe would be appreciated.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....197037,-117.905273&spn=0.979107,1.31012&z=10

That is a map of the route I came home from the dealership. I drove it between 60-70 and ended up with 62 miles driven 8bars used and 4 bars left. Note this was pre-software update, which means I would end up with more like 2-3 bars left with new software. If you drive conservatively I don't see any problem with it but you would need ample time to charge at work using level 2, is that available for certain for you?

I would say myself that you may considering waiting for the next round of EV's.. but if you are daring go for it ;)

-Matt

I would suggest you lease for 3 years, you will be cycling the battery nearly 100% TWICE every day.. may not have the range in about 3-4 years.

Based on the assumption the batteries can handle about 1500 heavy cycles.. and I am well known for being an optimist.

Never mind, I dont think you can get a lease for driving almost 40k miles a year.

The one-way range will be close, you couldn't run any errands at lunch or after work, and you'd have to charge at work for about 8 hours at 240V.

I've owned my Leaf for about two months, and am very comfortable with a 30-40 mile daily drive. I would stress out daily trying to do 70.

My recommendation would be to skip this generation Leaf and wait for something with about 50% more range (EPA 110 miles for example). Even then, you'd need to arrange for 240V charging at work.

I agree with the majority: While it is technically possible, there are just too many variables and uncertainties in such a scenario and it would appear the Leaf is just not a good fit for your requirements. I'd stick with the Prius.

Rbrown125 said:
Still trying to decide if the Leaf will work for me. The postings have the ranges across the board. I'm just trying to determine if it will get me to work. I live in the Inland Empire and drive to LA daily; 65 miles one way, 60 on the freeway. I currently have a Prius and know how to maximize the mileage. I consistantly get 52mpg after 170,000 miles. If I drive the leaf at a moderate speed 55 to 60, will I get at least 70 miles. Does anyone have any experience in this area. I'm a little concerned with the wind tunnel in the Fontana area. I love the car and technology, and I'm planning to install a couple of charging stations at work to support other drivers. Any advice for a newbe would be appreciated.

113 miles round trip (about 100 miles at 60mph freeway). 100% charge. 7 bars to get there. 3.75 hour charging to full on L2. 10 bars to get back.
Gentle acceleration, steady speed though letting speed drop a bit going up hills and increase going down. I did go 60mph up the 2 mile grade on the 2 from Eagle Rock.
With future capacity degradation of the battery...?

91040 said:
113 miles round trip (about 100 miles at 60mph freeway). 100% charge. 7 bars to get there. 3.75 hour charging to full on L2. 10 bars to get back.

You drove 60mph on the hwy?.. not in CA from what I see posted in this board :)

Yes, 60mph on the freeway. Los Angeles/Orange County- La Crescenta valley to Costa Mesa and back. Left Sunday around 6pm returned after midnight.

91040 said:
Yes, 60mph on the freeway. Los Angeles/Orange County- La Crescenta valley to Costa Mesa and back. Left Sunday around 6pm returned after midnight.

I was just being funny, but did you feel your life was at risk at any time?.. btw, I always drive 55 on the hwy.

I sure hope the rear crash protection on the Leaf is robust! :lol:

IMHO, people seeing a Leaf in the slow lane going well below the prevailing speed will do nothing to sell EVs as a viable concept...

Herm said:
btw, I always drive 55 on the hwy.

Herm- I should pay attention to the emoticons.

I have been driving 60ish on the freeways since ordering the car to get accustomed to how I would drive to get the range I want. Haven't had many problems and am surprised that even at that speed I am passing cars. A few years ago my habitual speed was 80!

mogur- Being able to drive longer distances will also help to sell EVs. Making the drive to Costa Mesa with my Leaf instead of another car, shows its utility.

Not to the average ICE driver that sees one going slowly on the freeway and thinks, "There goes another one of those damn electric cars that can't keep up with anything or go anywhere - I'll never buy one of those!" They have no idea where you are going or coming from, or what you are doing and thinking; just that you are simply slow... Perception is reality to the uninformed...

91040 said:
mogur- Being able to drive longer distances will also help to sell EVs. Making the drive to Costa Mesa with my Leaf instead of another car shows its utility.

mogur said:
Not to the average ICE driver that sees one going slowly on the freeway and thinks, "There goes another one of those damn electric cars that can't keep up with anything or go anywhere - I'll never buy one of those!" They have no idea where you are going or coming from, or what you are doing and thinking; just that you are simply slow... Perception is reality to the uninformed...
Well, I'm not going to waste energy just for PR. The 55 mph limit should never have been repealed. It was stupid to increase oil usage, and waste lives just because a bunch of people can't stand anyone telling them what to do.

OK, I try to balance it out by going 65 or 70 on the freeway in my Leaf anyway... And if I REALLY want to burn up some energy, I take the boat out (29 GPH)! :p

davewill said:
Well, I'm not going to waste energy just for PR. The 55 mph limit should never have been repealed. It was stupid to increase oil usage, and waste lives just because a bunch of people can't stand anyone telling them what to do.

Burning the juice at 75+ on the highway has been my M.O. lately. I'm not placing very high on the Carwings tree page ;) When I find the need to burn all kinds of gas I go fly one of my planes... :cool:

mogur said:
I sure hope the rear crash protection on the Leaf is robust! :lol:

IMHO, people seeing a Leaf in the slow lane going well below the prevailing speed will do nothing to sell EVs as a viable concept...

It would take gas rationing to convince those people to buy a Leaf anyways. In any case, I'm doing 55 you are doing 75, a speed differential of 20mph. If you are driving at 20mph on a side street and you see a car stopped in the middle of the road, are you going to crash into them?.. I would think you have plenty of time to slow down and even stop.

You might want to take physics 101 again... All other considerations aside that make this argument silly on the surface, it takes much more distance to slow from 75 to 55 than from 20 to 0 (roughly the square of the speed)... Your distance required to initially react is also increased proportionally by the higher speed.

Oh, and by the way, you got the quote wrong ... I said 65 or 70, not 75.

Herm said:
In any case, I'm doing 55 you are doing 75, a speed differential of 20mph. If you are driving at 20mph on a side street and you see a car stopped in the middle of the road, are you going to crash into them?.. I would think you have plenty of time to slow down and even stop.

mogur said:
I sure hope the rear crash protection on the Leaf is robust!

You may be right, but guess what, on the California roads there are plenty of slow people in gas cars, and they don't get crushed from behind constantly... contrary to this crazy perception that you will get killed on the freeways of California unless you drive 80, I routinely find traffic flowing between 55 & 65 in the right two lanes. As far as I am concerned there is a golden rule of traffic "Slower traffic stay to the right" If you drive 55 get to the right and be happy, if you drive 85 get to the left and be angry when someone slows you down or gives you a ticket, your choice (I don't care what you choose)

-Matt
PS: My choice is to drive the speed limit (or right lane traffic speed) to save a little energy and not have to pay traffic fines, but anyone is entitled to drive as they want....

Back