Range Chart

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

30kWh LEAF Classic:

Use this 100% chart for a new 30kWh battery

Use this chart for a 30kWh battery at 90% capacity

Use this chart for a 30kWh battery at 80% capacity

Use this chart for a 30kWh battery at 70% capacity

METRIC:

METRIC - Use this chart for a 30kWh battery at 100% capacity

METRIC - Use this chart for a 30kWh battery at 90% capacity

METRIC - Use this chart for a 30kWh battery at 80% capacity

METRIC - Use this chart for a 30kWh battery at 70% capacity

LEAFrangeChart30kWh%20Sheet1.jpg

60kWh LEAF v2.0
Use this 100% chart for a 60kWh new battery.

LEAFrangeChart60kWh.jpg

LEAFrangeChartVersion7F.jpg

LEAFrangeChartVersion7G100.jpg

Here's how bad the range can get with a seriously degraded battery:

LEAFrangeChartVersion7G63.jpg

Update: - 9 October 2012, Added chart version "7G". Each PDF file has English (first page) and Metric (second page) measure.
Now for iPhone, iPad, and iPod, free from the Apple App Store
Now for Android !!!

If your LEAF is missing any of the small capacity bar segments of the 12 total capacity segments on the right hand side of the dash, next to the 12 longer energy remaining bars, use the following appropriate chart(s):

Here are the links on Dropbox - no downloading hassle:

Use this 100% chart for a factory new battery.

Use this 93% chart for a one year old or more battery that still has all 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 82% chart for a battery that has 11 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 75% chart for a battery that has 10 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 69% chart for a battery that has 9 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 63% chart for a battery that has 8 of 12 capacity bar segments.

EPA LA4 test cycle: 100 miles

The Nissan LEAF has been tested under the EPA Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, a laboratory test commonly called the LA4 test cycle, which represents city driving conditions. Top speed is 56.7 mph and average speed is 19.59 mph. Ambient temperature can vary from 68 - 86 degrees. Climate control is off. The Nissan LEAF easily achieved 100 miles.

If you decide to use this chart, you can print it out and carry it in your car for reference. Your range may vary.

MILES GAINED CHARGING

Nissan LEAF Miles Gained per Hour Charging

Amps/Volts -- Where ---- 65mph / 4 miles per kWh consumption rate

12 / 120 ------- Any ------ 4.0 miles (supplied cable with car in USA/Canada)
12 / 208 ------ Public ----- 8.4 miles (EVSEupgrade.com 2011/12 LEAF)
12 / 240 ------ Home ----- 9.6 miles (EVSEupgrade.com 2011/12 LEAF)
16 / 208 ------ Public ----- 11.1 miles (EVSEupgrade.com 2011/12 LEAF)****
16 / 240 ------ Home ----- 12.9 miles (EVSEupgrade.com 2011/12 LEAF)
20 / 208 ------ Public ----- 14.1 miles (Clipper Creek LCS-25)
20 / 240 ------ Home ----- 16.3 miles (Clipper Creek LCS-25)
25 / 208 ------ Public ----- 17.8 miles (EVSEupgrade.com 2013 LEAF)
25 / 240 ------ Home ----- 20.6 miles (EVSEupgrade.com 2013 LEAF)
30 / 208 ------ Public ----- 21.4 miles (unverified at 30 amps**)
30 / 240 ------ Home ----- 22.7 miles (limited to 27.5 amps)

**** will likely pull 18 amps at 208 volts****

**I don't know if its been measured at 200 or 208 volts yet to see if it increases to 30 amps.**

TIME USED CHARGING

NOTE: the JESLA portable charge cable from http://www.QuickChargePower.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can charge any LEAF from the slowest 12 amp to 30 amps using 100 - 250 volts. It can also charge a Tesla Model S, Toyota Rav4 EV, or Mercedes B-Class ED at 10kW (40 amps at 250 volts).

Nissan LEAF hours to charge LEAF with warm new condition battery
From Turtle mode ("dead") to 100%

Amps/Volts -- Where ---- Time

12 / 120 ------- Any ------ 22.8 hours (supplied cable with car in USA/Canada)
12 / 208 ------ Public ----- 11.4 hours (EVSEupgrade.com 2011/12 LEAF)
12 / 240 ------ Home ------ 9.9 hours (EVSEupgrade.com 2011/12 LEAF)
16 / 208 ------ Public ------ 8.6 hours (EVSEupgrade.com 2011/12 LEAF)****
16 / 240 ------ Home ------ 7.4 hours (EVSEupgrade.com 2011/12 LEAF)
20 / 208 ------ Public ------ 6.7 hours (Clipper Creek LCS-25)
20 / 240 ------ Home ------ 5.9 hours (Clipper Creek LCS-25)
25 / 208 ------ Public ------ 5.4 hours (EVSEupgrade.com 2013 LEAF)
25 / 240 ------ Home ------ 4.7 hours (EVSEupgrade.com 2013 LEAF)
30 / 208 ------ Public ------ 4.5 hours (unverified at 30 amps**)
30 / 240 ------ Home ------ 4.2 hours (limited to 27.5 amps)

**** will likely pull 18 amps at 208 volts****

**I don't know if its been measured at 200 or 208 volts yet to see if it increases to 30 amps.**

LEAF Charge-Rate Chart
Assumes 30 amp pilot signal from EVSE

----------- Japan --- USA/Canada - The World --- USA/Canada
Amps --- 200 volts --- 208 volts --- 230 volts ------- 240volts

16 -------- 3.2kW -------- 3.3kW ---- 3.7kW ------ 3.8kW
27.5 ------ 5.5kW** ------ 5.7kW** --- 6.3kW ------ 6.6kW

Obviously, the charger will output some value below those stated above, at about 85-90%. So, a typical LEAF drawing 16 amps at your North American house's 240 volts will put 3.3kW into the battery, and draw 3.8kW from the wall.

The new 2013 LEAF with optional 27.5 amp charger will be about 6.6kW at 240 volts. The 2013 LEAF-S retains the 16 amp charger of all previous LEAFs.

Nice chart. Thanks. It might help all of us reduce any remaining anxiety ... :)

Now ... I know it's apples-to-oranges, at least in terms of price and range, but if Nissan could just get their engineering resources to produce something accurate to replace the guessometer ... with a more useful tool and data (look at the 2nd "-" paragraph): http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5757-Tesla-Road-Trip-Good-Karma?p=70188#post70188

Very nice graph. However, it's far too complicated for the average driver and, given the inability to accurately measure the output in kW, ultimately not that useful even for those who could understand it.

Interesting chart - the "projected battery discharge curve" and the actual battery discharge curve don't seem to be in great agreement. It would be interesting to know what caused the actual discharge to have the inverse curvature to the projected (looks like two spots where the curvatures are opposite), and see if there is a way to extend that actual discharge behavior. Is it just speed/load/discharge rate? Seems the graph is missing a critical axis of information.

TonyWilliams said:
Here's the range chart I compiled today: ...

Very nice! Any chance you could put this into a PDF link, it would be nice to have laminated in the car for my wife and I to help reinforce good speed habits and to give a decent way to predict range.

g

Great job! Might want to point out that this is with the latest firmware even though I am sure there only a handful of Leafs running the old firmware including mine.

SanDust said:
Very nice graph. However, it's far too complicated for the average driver and, given the inability to accurately measure the output in kW, ultimately not that useful even for those who could understand it.

Huh, far too complicated for the average driver? It's just a table. Are we assuming that the average driver can't read a simple table?

As long as Tony based his chart on reliable data, I think it's amazingly useful.

Boomer23 said:
SanDust said:

Huh, far too complicated for the average driver? It's just a table. Are we assuming that the average driver can't read a simple table?

As long as Tony based his chart on reliable data, I think it's amazingly useful.
I think he was commenting on the graph in the original thread. I'll move these comments to original graph thread.

evnow said:
I think he was commenting on the graph in the original thread. I'll move these comments to original graph thread.

How about a link back to that in the OP in this thread, so we can go reference it? I never saw the original, and some of the comments relating the two have me tilting my head like Nipper.

Thanks--

PS--great chart, btw!

mwalsh said:
Nice work Tony!

I took the liberty of printing your image to a .pdf:

http://www.responsivespace.com/mjw/LEAFRangeChart.pdf

Very nice, Tony; thanks for sharing. When I get my car, I'm going to have a laminated copy accessible for the driver. :D :D

I drive at 62 average and my RT to work is 76 miles and I get home with 9 miles or more. After just hitting low battery warning.

I added my own touch to your chart and added the latest SOC i could find, along with 80% charge and a few more miles/bar.

LeafChart.jpg

Wow. Glad so many liked it. I made it for my wife's range anxiety, and intend to laminate the final product and clip it to the driver's sun visor.

My "training", of course is to completely ignore the crazy range predictions on the car's fuel gauge. Also, ignore the chart bar data when the first hard data point happens at "Low Batt Warn".

As soon as that pops up, reset a trip odometer to zero and based on the chart, you'll have a very accurate idea of how far you can really go. The cross check is to be able to predict, with the trip odometer, when "Very Low Batt Warn" comes on, and ultimately know when "Turtle" is immanent.

I purposely left out any technical stuff she doesn't care about. Just provided data at a certain speed in mostly ideal conditions provides this many miles. She doesn't care how many KW or % that is.

Back