Get local weather information on CARWINGS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainnw

Here is an RSS feed I made so you can receive the local weather report with CARWINGS. I am sorry that the weather icons are so small, hopefully I will find a fix for that soon.

No need to add a zip code/etc, its car location based.

To add, go into CARWINGS, then go under News Feeds, and add the following URL:

http://nwrs.net/rss/wx.php

Enjoy!

Yes. See this article for more details. http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Nissan-LEAF-cars-leak-speed-position-destination-to-RSS-feeds-1259465.html

I added both of them since I thought they were pretty cool!

davewill said:
So, this means that our location is sent along with every RSS request?

Yeah, seems a necessary evil for the kind of information one would want to get from such a service... you could always never put any URLs for the RSS system to call :)

rainnw said:
Here is an RSS feed I made so you can receive the local weather report with CARWINGS. [...] No need to add a zip code/etc, its car location based.
I originally skipped this thread, because hey, San Diego -- we know what the weather is. I figured it was a CarWings thing.

Then I saw the article and realized how this trick works. Neat-o!
Nice research.

Apparently a few sites have picked up my blog entry :)

I noticed the weather app says "no search results found" in certain locations, so expect that to improve as I debug that.

I think Nissan should just warn people about this (have an on/off switch), as well as cut back some of the unnecessary information. Make it just location, much like how your iphone asks for your location, and nothing more.

That way, we can enjoy a new generation of location-based RSS feeds. Near by traffic cameras? Virtual tours? location based wikipedia articles? Possibly some next proof of concepts that could be tried.

Also, it is interesting to note that RSS feeds support pictures, hyperlinks (it makes a QR code for your smartphone to read), as well as phone number and position. The annoying part is that you have to use the carwings namespace for that functionality. It won't do something normal like use the images and links already in the RSS feed!

Unfortunately, the link to the namespace referenced does not work, and I cannot read japanese on the carwings developer lab site. It will be a slow process :)

I love the two apps you have done and am looking forward to you coming up with some more uses for the info.

Thanks!

rainnw said:

I noticed the weather app says "no search results found" in certain locations, so expect that to improve as I debug that.

I think Nissan should just warn people about this (have an on/off switch), as well as cut back some of the unnecessary information. Make it just location, much like how your iphone asks for your location, and nothing more.

That way, we can enjoy a new generation of location-based RSS feeds. Near by traffic cameras? Virtual tours? location based wikipedia articles? Possibly some next proof of concepts that could be tried.

Also, it is interesting to note that RSS feeds support pictures, hyperlinks (it makes a QR code for your smartphone to read), as well as phone number and position. The annoying part is that you have to use the carwings namespace for that functionality. It won't do something normal like use the images and links already in the RSS feed!

Unfortunately, the link to the namespace referenced does not work, and I cannot read japanese on the carwings developer lab site. It will be a slow process :)

This may bee cool but who is going to search through multiple menus to get the weather when it should be integral, a button on the map, a voice command, etc. When it comes to functionality of the NAV the LEAF is pathetic at best. I'm astonished at the stupidity of this slapped together, clunky system. A perfect example is not being able to get access to the NAV when driving but not having voice commands to get to those features however there are voice commands for "international call" and other useless features. Why not something useful like "show charge stations", "find nearest restaurants", my 05 Acura could do this perfectly and it did not have "advanced telematics". There is nothing advanced about Nissan's junk user interface and adding a clunky URL buried in the system is not making it any better. One would think that with the crummy audio quality at least the NAV would have been more user friendly or at least not painfully limited as if it were 10 years old. NAV rant over.

GroundLoop said:
I originally skipped this thread, because hey, San Diego -- we know what the weather is.
Ya--"Night and morning low clouds and fog, clearing in the afternoon" covers about 90% of the days here. :lol:

TT

Stoaty said:
rainnw said:
Link to the blog entry? Don't be modest. :D

http://seattlewireless.net/~casey/

Since this encompasses more than just weather, I am going to make a post aggregating all CARWINGS specific RSS feeds. CARWINGS has some very specific RSS features (you have to do something special even for images), so there will be a difference compared to just any ol' RSS feed :D

Back