End of range behavour

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckemie

Searching did not turn up anything on this topic. Perhaps I am a poor searcher.

We've been wondering what to expect as we exhaust our battery capacity. Today, I found out.

We had been estimating range by adding miles traveled to the silly miles remaining on the dash display. Typically the sum of those two numbers would be around 90 miles at the end of a 70-80 mile trip. Today, I decided to run it on down. We hit "---" for the remaining miles for the first time. I noticed 4 miles and the next time I noticed, it was "---". Onward, Through the Fog says I. I got home several miles after it went below zero with about 100 miles on the trip and went out driving up and down the road to see what would happen. At about 106 miles, it went into "turtle" mode. I immediately turned around and headed for home, less than 1 mile. About 200 yards short of my charging connection, it stopped moving entirely. It shifted itself to N and refused to shift to D or Eco. All electronics continued to work. I walked to the building where I charge, got a golf cart and towed the Leaf in with the golf cart.

My conclusions:
1) at modest speeds, you have at least 10 miles left when your "miles to go" goes below zero
2) once you hit "turtle" mode, you likely have less than a mile left

I have heard that if you let the vehicle sit for a half hour or so it will regain some charge and you can drive it a little farther. Is that true?

jimcmorr said:
I have heard that if you let the vehicle sit for a half hour or so it will regain some charge and you can drive it a little farther. Is that true?

That would be true with a lead battery. I doubt that it is true for lithium. I didn't try waiting with this experiment.

Back