edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway

Wed May 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Re-post below from my last weekend's trip.

101 would be a far longer drive, than taking "Old HWY 99", which shadows 1-5 to Oregon.

If I make it to Ashland before June, I'll post RV park charge reports on Recargo.
A year after picking up my LEAF and driving it home from the Bay area, I finally made the trip back.

530 miles over 3 days, all on L2. I took my previous Route south, charging at public J 1772s, with charges in Chico (I made it to the Chico EAA meeting, and the while-you-recharge Sierra Nevada brewery tour and free tasting, is worth the trip in itself), Woodland, Vacaville, and San Rafael, my overnight destination, 251 miles in total. Sunday I made my way to Lafayette, where I added a few bars, then returned to Vacaville for the night, about 93 miles. To my regret, I didn’t have the time to risk a side trip to the San Ramon DC.

From Vacaville, it’s about 185 miles to my home, along the I-5 corridor, (driving mostly on what is left of old highway 99) with stops at Williams and Corning, using my 16 amp upgraded EVSE at RV parks.

At the end of the first day I was dreading the return trip, but old 99 turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Much lower level of traffic than on the eastern route, with far less obnoxious drivers. Apparently it’s driven mostly by locals, who manage to simply pass slower vehicles, rather than forming ICEV-tailgating-caterpillars, which made the two lane “new” 99 and 113 route a nightmare.

If you want to drive at or below the speed limit, to add range per kWh, take “old” 99.

I also think that well-run RV parks are often superior to public J1772s for required BEV charging, as opposed to opportunity PHEV charging, where L2 opportunities are few and far between.

I had back-up charge points for the entire trip lined up, and needed them twice at public J1772s, one being ICED, and one out of order.

The two RV parks both wanted my business, and I was happy to pay their modest fees. (will post details at Recargo soon).

Both said I would be welcome to check in before closing hours, and come and go as I pleased, or just take a nap (in fairly secure and quiet locations) till my charge was complete.

Next trip I will probably leave in the afternoon and recharge overnight on L1 at a motel (I checked out the charge opportunities at several in Williams), requiring only a few hours of L2 to make it to the plethora of J1772s at Vacaville.

No real drama. I turned over 9,000 miles during the trip, with no detectable range loss. LEAF NAV, unfortunately, does not contain all of the roads used, and old 99 has been rerouted and renamed in so many places, I’d suggest you try it during daylight, at least the first time.

I never even saw the LBW, as my longest leg between charges was the 89 miles from home to Chico.

Edit: I actually did see, LBW, and drove a few miles past VLBW, as planned, when I made the familiar 51+ mile last leg from Vacaville to San Rafael Saturday night, having started with only 7 bars.

I kept written logs, which along with CW, will allow me the confidence to reduce recharge times, by charging to between 70% and 90%, at both Williams and Corning, rather than charging to 100%, next trip.

Yes, you will need patience headed into North California in a LEAF, but if you have the time, there is no need to wait for DC, IMO.

I hope to make a trip to Oregon, and link up with the DC (I-5 Green Highway) corridor soon.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3319
no condition is permanent

TonyWilliams

Wed May 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Interesting stuff. Two things not currently in my arsenal is the J1772 "extension cord" (where can I get one of those?) and the 20 amp / 240v motel air conditioner plug.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed May 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Build your cord here:

http://www.stayonline.com/custom_power_cords.aspx

You need NEMA 6-20 male, L6-20 female.

They also have premoulded L6-20 cords to 50' if you make an adapter. I have a 100' custom build, works great.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

TonyWilliams

Wed May 16, 2012 7:59 pm

smkettner wrote:Build your cord here:

They also have premoulded L6-20 cords to 50' if you make an adapter. I have a 100' custom build, works great.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I have 200 feet of extension cords with L6-20's powering my upgraded to 16 amp Panasonic EVSE.

I'm talking about an L2 EVSE that is blocked by an ICE and the only way to get it to my car is with a J1772 extension.

Also, I need an LED left arrow to flash on my back window.

KJD
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15656

Wed May 16, 2012 8:46 pm

TonyWilliams wrote: I'm talking about an L2 EVSE that is blocked by an ICE and the only way to get it to my car is with a J1772 extension.
I have never found one already made up, however I think one could build an extension cord with these parts.

http://www.tucsonev.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 SL Delivered 12/08/2011
Sold 05/12/2015
2012 Tesla Model S 85

TonyWilliams

Wed May 16, 2012 8:55 pm

KJD wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote: I'm talking about an L2 EVSE that is blocked by an ICE and the only way to get it to my car is with a J1772 extension.
I have never found one already made up, however I think one could build an extension cord with these parts.

http://www.tucsonev.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's another:

http://modularevpower.com/AdapterBox1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How about a good source for an LED flashing arrow?

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed May 16, 2012 9:04 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
smkettner wrote:Build your cord here:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I have 200 feet of extension cords with L6-20's powering my upgraded to 16 amp Panasonic EVSE.

I'm talking about an L2 EVSE that is blocked by an ICE and the only way to get it to my car is with a J1772 extension. ...

(For amusement only. Do not attempt.)

I noticed you're still working with polymers.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed May 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Have not seen a J1772 extension. Just saying the motel 240v air is going to have a 6-20 straight blade.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu May 17, 2012 1:50 am

Between King City and Stanford Mall I'd suggest Rabobank in Sallinas and Gilroy Premium Outlets. I know the Outlets would work beautifully, with two EVSEs that are available 24 hours and very lightly used, a motel a few steps away, and a wide variety of restaurants within half a mile, not to mention 135 stores. I haven't checked out Rabobank in Salinas, but I'll try to run down there soon to verify it.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

GRA

Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 pm

According to the AAA Coast and Valley map, here's the distances LA-SAC via the different routes:

I-5: 388 miles

I-5 & S.R.99: 395 miles

U.S. 101, I-680 & I-80: 501 miles

If you do opt for the San Joaquin Valley route, I'd definitely recommend 99 rather than 5. I had a look at Woodall's 2011 RV camping book yesterday (updated yearly) at a local library, and there are far more RV parks along 99. In addition, the cities are nicely spaced, typical 55-60 miles apart, so you can make them on the freeway at 80% if you keep it to 55 or maybe 60. Along 99 you have the option in several areas of taking side roads that parallel 99, such as SR 43 and Santa Fe Ave.

In mid-June you're almost certainly going to want A/C whether you take 99 or 101 (King City tends to be the hottest point in Monterey county), and I'd definitely invest in a set of window shades for the back window and one side of the car.

There are Nissan dealers in Bakersfield, Visalia, Selma, Fresno, Merced, and Modesto along 99, although I have no idea if they have chargers or not.

North of Sacramento you've got plenty of options a least up to Red Bluff, taking 99/70, I-5 or Old 99 (per edatokrun's post). Are you trying to see how quickly you can make the trip, or are you willing to take more time to make it more scenic?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”