TonyWilliams

Re: Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway

Thu May 17, 2012 2:23 pm

GRA wrote:North of Sacramento you've got plenty of options a least up to Red Bluff, taking 99/70, I-5 or Old 99 (per edatokrun's post). Are you trying to see how quickly you can make the trip, or are you willing to take more time to make it more scenic?
120 miles is a huge penalty to go the "coastal" route. San Ramon to Williams, CA is 109 miles. Via Sacramento is 145 miles. So, does somebody have a contact to use the Nissan DC charger in Sacramento?

I could conceivably hit two or three DC chargers going through SF Bay, however 120 less miles quickly makes the time still quicker on the grapevine to Sacto route.

Not sure what I'll do.

GRA

Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
GRA wrote:North of Sacramento you've got plenty of options a least up to Red Bluff, taking 99/70, I-5 or Old 99 (per edatokrun's post). Are you trying to see how quickly you can make the trip, or are you willing to take more time to make it more scenic?
120 miles is a huge penalty to go the "coastal" route. San Ramon to Williams, CA is 109 miles. Via Sacramento is 145 miles. So, does somebody have a contact to use the Nissan DC charger in Sacramento?
I make the total extra distance (assuming you bypass SAC and take 505) as 70 miles further via 101: 501-395 (S.R. 99) = 106 - 36 miles for avoiding SAC = 70, but you gain with the L3 in San Ramon assuming you spend the night about 1 hour south of it, somewhere around Gilroy or Morgan Hill.
TonyWilliams wrote: I could conceivably hit two or three DC chargers going through SF Bay, however 120 less miles quickly makes the time still quicker on the grapevine to Sacto route.

Not sure what I'll do.
Absent L3, how far do you figure you can reasonably drive per day? 180-200?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

davewill

Thu May 17, 2012 4:06 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:... 120 miles is a huge penalty to go the "coastal" route. ...
If you've never driven that route, though, it is a must do.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

UhClem

Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm

The WA DOT/AVinc quick charge stations in Washington are starting to come on line. I got my first QC at the Bellingham location today :)

Hopefully they'll be all online by mid June. There aren't any QC locations between between Olympia and Burlington (about 130 miles) because the DOT expected EV Project to install Blink QC chargers in that area :(

If you haven't already done so, you might want to sign up for a key fob to activate the AVinc chargers
http://evsolutions.avinc.com/services/s ... r_network/. As far as I know, it'll work on the OR and WA quick chargers.

TonyWilliams

Thu May 17, 2012 4:38 pm

davewill wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:... 120 miles is a huge penalty to go the "coastal" route. ...
If you've never driven that route, though, it is a must do.
I've driven it many, many times, and flown it in everything from Cessna to Turbojet. I would prefer that route, but it will really come down to a tactical decision at the time.

TonyWilliams

Thu May 17, 2012 4:41 pm

UhClem wrote:The WA DOT/AVinc quick charge stations in Washington are starting to come on line. I got my first QC at the Bellingham location today :)

Hopefully they'll be all online by mid June. There aren't any QC locations between between Olympia and Burlington (about 130 miles) because the DOT expected EV Project to install Blink QC chargers in that area :(

If you haven't already done so, you might want to sign up for a key fob to activate the AVinc chargers
http://evsolutions.avinc.com/services/s ... r_network/. As far as I know, it'll work on the OR and WA quick chargers.

Besides the Blink in my garage, there probably won't be many Blink charges. Good to hear that I only need to hyper mile 130 miles!

TonyWilliams

Thu May 17, 2012 6:07 pm

GRA wrote:Absent L3, how far do you figure you can reasonably drive per day? 180-200?
Well, if I started at 7am and drove 50mph for two hours (9am), and could then charge up in 6.5 hours (3:30pm), then two more driving hours (5:30pm), then some half charge of 3.5 hours (9:00pm), then 50 miles (10pm).

I get 250 miles 9 hour break until 7am. Heck, this is airline duty regs legal.

TonyWilliams

Thu May 17, 2012 6:21 pm

The last two challenges:

Olympia to Bellingham, WA

151 miles

Where is a quick charge between the two?

San Ramon, CA to Ashland, Oregon

345 miles

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu May 17, 2012 8:11 pm

planet4ever wrote:I haven't checked out Rabobank in Salinas, but I'll try to run down there soon to verify it.
Well, I did drive down there this afternoon, but didn't learn much more than I could see on Google Earth. It's there; it's one EVSE; it works; it wasn't in use. Curiously, there was a pickup parked next to the EV slot that might have been the same vehicle I see from space in Google Earth. Perhaps it's always there (Rabobank employee?). If so, and the EV slot was ICEd, you would need that J1772 extension you were thinking about.

I didn't find much that I would like to do in that Westridge Shopping Center area, but your tastes might differ.

OT, but I drove 55 or less, Morgan Hill to Salinas and back, and got 4.2 m/kWh, which makes sense because my wife insisted on having the air conditioning on. (I did sneak the temperature up to 74, though.) What was not so good was that I went from 100% to LBW in 68.6 miles. I was driving 45-50 MPH for about 25 of those miles. I think I was close to VLBW when I got home at 74.7 miles.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

EVDrive
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 776

Thu May 17, 2012 8:59 pm

What a cool adventure. I'm excited for you. Maybe when you swing by San Ramon or Stanford we can have a mini Leaf rally. I wouldn't try this drive yet myself without more dc chargers but I think it will be a good accomplishment and raise awareness about the incomplete EV highway on i5. Who would have thought that Oregon would be kicking Californias but on the EV fast charger front.

If we get just a few dc chargers between the Bay Area and Ashland OR, I'm making the drive to Oregon in my Leaf as well.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about all the locations that you charge.
- SF Bay Area
- 2011 Leaf traded in at 46,000 miles, 3 years, lost 1 bar
- Upgraded to 2014 Rav4EV with Quickchargepower.com CHAdeMO port, 53,000 miles
- Tesla Model 3 reserved

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”