toasty

Re: Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway

Thu May 17, 2012 9:05 pm

why a Garmin Zumo 550?

occ
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Head up to Berkeley and borrow Ingineer's super duper LEAF extender. Then you just have to fuel up with BBQ gas for the rest of the trip ! :D

Good luck! I'll be following this adventure daily!
2011 Nissan LEAF:
Res: 4/21/10 7am
RAQ: 11/23/10 (& ordered)
Delivered: 6/17 vin 4873
Toyota Rav4EV (2/27/13)
4Kw Solar PV

TonyWilliams

Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 pm

occ wrote:Head up to Berkeley and borrow Ingineer's super duper LEAF extender. Then you just have to fuel up with BBQ gas for the rest of the trip ! :D

I'm planning on taking my portable DC charger that will fit in the back of the car. No fossil fuels. No trailers. When I arrive at RV parks, I should be able to suck out 240v 40 amps (9.6kW).

With any luck, I'll bump into a couple three phase services somewhere.

TonyWilliams

Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 pm

toasty wrote:why a Garmin Zumo 550?
Backup. Plus, I can put the center console on something else (like energy screen). I'll be happy to replace this with a LEAFscan.

TonyWilliams

Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 pm

EVDrive wrote:What a cool adventure. I'm excited for you. Maybe when you swing by San Ramon or Stanford we can have a mini Leaf rally. I wouldn't try this drive yet myself without more dc chargers but I think it will be a good accomplishment and raise awareness about the incomplete EV highway on i5. Who would have thought that Oregon would be kicking Californias but on the EV fast charger front.
That would be great. Probably some lunch / dinner while the LEAF charges.

UhClem

Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 am

TonyWilliams wrote:The last two challenges:

Olympia to Bellingham, WA

151 miles

Where is a quick charge between the two?
There's a coming QC in Burlington that's on the AV network, about 25 miles south of Bellingham. I was chatting with an AV installer a few days ago and he said the QC in Burlington is almost ready to go.

I saw an EcoTality press release on a new QC near Lake Union in Seattle, but I'd guess the chance of that being available is essentially 0.

I think your only option currently is an L2 charge in the Seattle area. I've made several trips from downtown Seattle to Burlington on a single charge but it was really tight.

GRA

Fri May 18, 2012 1:36 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
occ wrote:Head up to Berkeley and borrow Ingineer's super duper LEAF extender. Then you just have to fuel up with BBQ gas for the rest of the trip ! :D

I'm planning on taking my portable DC charger that will fit in the back of the car. No fossil fuels. No trailers. When I arrive at RV parks, I should be able to suck out 240v 40 amps (9.6kW).

With any luck, I'll bump into a couple three phase services somewhere.
Ah, that will help tremendously - I don't think I'd have the patience to do that trip at 3.3kW. Are you looking to overnight in nice places, or just wherever is the most convenient?

If the former and you decide to take 101 up to the Bay Area, you might just want to stay in Monterey instead of Salinas. You'd need to stop for a 1-2 hour charge between there and San Ramon or Palo Alto but there are plenty of L2s from San Jose north, and Monterey's a lot nicer (cooler, too).

Stopping overnight in Redding for a full charge would probably be necessary for the long leg between there and Mt. Shasta (~61 miles) on I-5, especially given the 3,000 ft. climb. Assuming you charge somewhere around Mt. Shasta, you can go almost all the way to Yreka on N. Old Stage Rd./Old 99 Hwy, and charging for a while there maybe 10-12 miles beyond it until you have to get onto I-5. I'm assuming that you'd probably want to stay in Ashland going and/or returning - might as well eat some good food, and maybe catch a play. After that you're good to go up to Portland or beyond.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

TonyWilliams

Fri May 18, 2012 1:53 pm

GRA wrote:Are you looking to overnight in nice places, or just wherever is the most convenient?

If the former and you decide to take 101 up to the Bay Area, you might just want to stay in Monterey instead of Salinas.

Stopping overnight in Redding for a full charge would probably be necessary for the long leg between there and Mt. Shasta (~61 miles) on I-5, especially given the 3,000 ft. climb. Assuming you charge somewhere around Mt. Shasta, you can go almost all the way to Yreka on N. Old
Well, before I launch, I intend to have a fairly detailed plan, with plenty of alternatives when things go wrong, as they will.

I'm very familiar with California, and lived in the east SF bay area for 10 years. Lived in Sacto for one winter. Lived in Ventura County, Orange County, and now San Diego (not necessarily in that order).

That climb at Mt Shasta, through Weed is going to be the single hardest part.

TonyWilliams

Fri May 18, 2012 1:58 pm

UhClem wrote:I saw an EcoTality press release on a new QC near Lake Union in Seattle, but I'd guess the chance of that being available is essentially 0.
Maybe they'd like to sponsor my run? :mrgreen: I can't find an address for the current Bellingham DC charger. It's not on the AeroVironment site that I can find.

UhClem

Fri May 18, 2012 2:50 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Maybe they'd like to sponsor my run? :mrgreen:
Heh :)
TonyWilliams wrote:I can't find an address for the current Bellingham DC charger. It's not on the AeroVironment site that I can find.
The Bellingham QC location shows up on the AV portal for me, it lists the address as 222 36th Street.

The Burlington QC location doesn't show up on the AV portal but it's at the same physical location as a pair of ChargePoint L2 chargers. Their address is listed as 448 Fashion Way, Burlington, Washington 98233.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”