Sabin
Delivery Date: 17 Nov 2019

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Hello,
I have 24 kwh Leaf 2015, 45k miles on the clock 94% SOH very happy with the car. Im doing 150 miles round trip to work with careful driving on motorway i do which way with single charge that is in the summer but in the winter time im short of few kwh :( . I just wondering if someone knows can i just add few modules from another Leaf 24/30/40 kwh in the boot kind of temporary without taking the main battery? I know someone will say just get 30kwh but can’t afford it right know and i think i can squeeze around £1k for few modules.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:18 am

Daklein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 pm

It looks like there is 40mm of height added in the base of the 62 kWh pack, the extra height hangs out the bottom of the car. (Pictures I see of Plus cars show the pack extending below the rocker panel) The claimed ground clearance is the same, maybe the rear axle is the lowest point already? The two front mounts (near the HV connectors), and rearmost side mount have raised platforms. The HV connectors are moved up from the bottom of the pack, so they will be at the same height as before in the car (the stiff main HV cable will be the same). The forward and center side mounts are one long mount with 4 bolts, with height near the bottom of the pack as the 24-40 packs all have. The Plus cars must have a different frame rail stamping that extends down the extra 40 mm. That would be a reasonably minimal change for manufacturing, just weld in a different rail part(s) to the floor pan. The rear support bracket holes look like they have the same spacing from the bottom of the pack, and the two holes are 40mm vertical spacing as before. The height from the top of the front and rear mount points (with the 40 mm raise) to the top of the pack looks very similar to 24-40 packs: 243mm to the rear hump, 164 to the front hump. (not the total pack height, the height from the mounting plane).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kkMU62Cr5Y42JHo39 Pictures of measuring the new pack, checking measurements on the car, sketches measurements and adapter spacer

What it will take, starting at the front of the pack:
- Front mounts will work the same as before, same bolts.
- Grounding straps may work by flipping them around, so they go down from the frame to the 62 pack, instead of upward from the frame to the 24 pack.
- Forward / center side mounts: Make a spacer from a 40mm square or rectangular tube between the existing frame rail and the new 62 pack. Front bolt location is the same, use a longer bolt. The three remaining bolts on the 62 will use longer bolts, into nuts or threaded plate fished through the frame rail (like in typical trailer hitch installs). There is a hole in the rear of the frame rail to fish them in through. You could almost use the existing center bolt location from the 24 pack, but it falls right at one of the structural channels of the 62 pack, about an inch from the rearmost bolt location on the 62 pack.
- The rear side mount uses two bolts, the inner location measures the same as before, and the outer one lines up with an existing hole in the frame of my 2014 car. There is room to fish a nut or threaded plate into the frame there from the rear suspension mount.
- Rear support brackets, could try to buy brackets from a plus car, or the existing brackets should line up offset by one hole. I could fish a threaded plate into the rear of the pack, adding a third hole on the pack, existing bracket bolting to the upper two holes. There is a 1-inch hole at the rear corners of the pack, between the outer and inner walls of the pack. Also could add a plate on the outside of the bracket, extending down to the bottom hole, so there would be three bolts holding it.
- Playing on the CAN bus will need to follow. ;) (help, help) :)

I have not looked at a Plus car, could any Plus owners take pictures of the sides of the battery mounting? Even with the covers on may help, but even better would be with the covers removed if you enjoy crawling around under your car. And also I wonder if there is anything different in front of the pack on Plus cars, maybe I want a skid plate sort of bar across in front of the pack.
You should message Mux for his CAN adapter if you haven't already. I think Dala or Mux just got a 62 kWh pack installed with the mux MITM device, but it might have only been a 40 kWh pack.

Here's the canadian guys posting about their 62 kWh retrofit. They address a number of your questions and thoughts, including which bolts match up and how they adapted the other bolts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h47rnjsD0Ys

Of particular note is how to get the covers on after installing a 62 kWh pack. The covers both provide protection for water, salt, etc as well as improve aerodynamics. But I don't see how they're going to get the battery covers installed after that retrofit.

Good luck!
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Lothsahn

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:24 am

Sabin wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:00 pm
Hello,
I have 24 kwh Leaf 2015, 45k miles on the clock 94% SOH very happy with the car. Im doing 150 miles round trip to work with careful driving on motorway i do which way with single charge that is in the summer but in the winter time im short of few kwh :( . I just wondering if someone knows can i just add few modules from another Leaf 24/30/40 kwh in the boot kind of temporary without taking the main battery? I know someone will say just get 30kwh but can’t afford it right know and i think i can squeeze around £1k for few modules.
Thank you for your help in advance.
You can't just add a few modules. The existing battery management computer in the battery is not capable of talking to additional cells. Adding a separate BMS and battery cells to the car is something Mux has been working on for over a year. It's a ton of work and not something that can be done for 1k.

You could swap your 24 kWh pack for a 30 or 40 kWh pack, if you can find one from a junkyard. But you'd need the MITM adapter from Mux and the pack, which would both cost far more than 1k.

Given it sounds like you're in the UK, you might contact Mux and get on his list. He adds a battery pack to the rear of the car "battery extender" which may work for your use case. He's already got a waitlist and it will cost more than 1k:
https://muxsan.com/preorder.html

I'm surprised you're able to do 150 miles round trip. You must be really driving efficiently. Well done.

Good luck!

Lothsahn

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:30 am

mux wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:07 am
Well, that's going to take another year at least then.
Mux,

I was reading your pre-order page and had a couple questions:
https://muxsan.com/preorder.html

1) The 2013+ Gen1 Leaf has an open area in the rear of the car where some people have put a spare tire. It was supposedly there for a wireless charging loop that never worked out. Have you thought about putting the battery in that location instead of the trunk? Might avoid having to create trunk moulds and affecting storage space. Won't work for 2011/2012.

2) Have you considered shipping firmware updates via SD card instead of having people have to return to the shop? Especially once you think about the US DIY kits, if you could put firmware on the SD card (specific file, specific location, detected on startup, etc), then you wouldn't need the car in your shop to fix issues.

Oilpan4
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 pm

I think mux has the right idea putting the battery in the trunk, that way you get air circulation and don't have to figure out how to make it water proof.

But if I were going to make a water proof batt box I would use a military ammo can.
They come in all different shapes and sizes and they are water proof.
I put the other batteries I made in ammo cans and it's worked out great.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 am

Oilpan4 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 pm
I think mux has the right idea putting the battery in the trunk, that way you get air circulation and don't have to figure out how to make it water proof.

But if I were going to make a water proof batt box I would use a military ammo can.
They come in all different shapes and sizes and they are water proof.
I put the other batteries I made in ammo cans and it's worked out great.
I use those for eBike builds too, they work great!
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”