TLeaf
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000225

Permanent solution to the foggy window issue?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Though I've considered this solution before, it wasn't until I saw this little video that I thought how great of a solution this might be for our LEAF window woes in the chilly (and humid) northwest. This would seem to be the perfect solution for a full-window defroster (OK, maybe tricky to do on the roll-up side windows). Combined with the heated seats and heated steering wheel that many folks already enjoy (grrr....), there would no longer be a need to run air through the cabin at all in the wintertime.

gsleaf
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2012

Re: Permanent solution to the foggy window issue?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:29 pm

That would be awesome!

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am

There has been a number of cars with windshields equipped with metallic film defrosters. It would make a lot of sense on an EV. (The GM EV-1 had it) Problem is they do not pass radio waves, so your cell phone and things like toll transponders will not work well, if at all, so in recent years they have become less popular.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Ingineer wrote:There has been a number of cars with windshields equipped with metallic film defrosters. It would make a lot of sense on an EV. (The GM EV-1 had it) Problem is they do not pass radio waves, so your cell phone and things like toll transponders will not work well, if at all, so in recent years they have become less popular.

-Phil

I believe Model S has this feature, and there are a lot of complaints about garage door openers not working. They left a "window" behind the rear view mirror so that you have to put the transmitter there to transmit out of the car, and mount the FastPass there for toll road transmitters. I imagine it hurts cell phone signals and dash mounted GPS as well, although I'm not sure why you would need to use a Garmin in the Model S with the big 17" nav screen.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

electrc109
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2013

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Apply rain-x anti-fog to it

http://amzn.com/B0009H5W5W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mynameisjim
Delivery Date: 17 Jul 2012
Leaf Number: 23226

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Ingineer wrote:There has been a number of cars with windshields equipped with metallic film defrosters. It would make a lot of sense on an EV. (The GM EV-1 had it) Problem is they do not pass radio waves, so your cell phone and things like toll transponders will not work well, if at all, so in recent years they have become less popular.

-Phil
Do you know if the style of heat previously used in cars is the same as aircraft windshields? I've noticed no trouble using a cell phone behind heated aircraft windshields.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”