User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6662
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:20 pm

TimLee wrote:
jsongster wrote:Doesn't the E-NV-200 have the LEAF battery modified to use the AC to cool it? If so this may be implemented along with the new LEAF with larger battery. Makes sense no?
Possibly.
But they were pretty clear that was done due to that vehicle possibly using lots of quick charging.
They were pretty adamant in January 2013 that they believe the right design choice is no active cooling.
If their new 2015 battery chemistry accomplishes what they hope they might be right about that.
No cooling makes it easier to swap out bad packs :lol: No lines to disconnect and nothing to drain.

johnrhansen
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:13 pm

TomT wrote:That's all we would need, coolant connections in the charge connector! What could possibly go wrong?!
johnrhansen wrote:Too bsd they didn't include in the specification for the quick charge connector a provision for a liquid cooling system for the battery. Instead of the cooling system being in the car, it's in the charger!
Doesn't have to be the same connector. Yes water and 400vdc do not mix well.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

jstack6
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:32 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Sep 2012
Location: Chandler Arizona

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:54 pm

I can't believe you got to see and check out a 48Kw LEAF in Quebec. That is really good. I heard it won't come out until 2016 just in time for the Tesla GEN III with 200+ mile range and new BMW , GM and KIA electrics with about a 200 mile range. I think the Tesla with Nationwide Super Charging has to be the best deal if not the longest range but we will find out in 2016 or around that time.

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11474
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:36 pm

TomT wrote:It's an almost certain bet that we are not there yet... Particularly if QC is a consideration...
Well, I haven't seen the test reports on the new chemistry. So, I don't know.

Back in the day when Apple struggled and produced electronics with no fans - no one realized the importance. Now people take the feature for granted.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

mkjayakumar
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:13 am
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2012
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 am

What? Someone really saw a 48kWh Leaf and didn't take pictures ?
2011 Leaf, 30K miles, returned after 24 month lease.
Currently leasing 2014 Leaf SV.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14107
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:44 pm

evnow wrote:Back in the day - I remember all computers needed to be kept in AC rooms. But technology improved. We now even have computers with no fans.

Similarly, the long term goal should be - no cooling. Whether today Nissan achieve that needs to be seen.
not sure I would go that far. now I have a fan on my laptop that I can never hear running. only a feeling of warmth at times near the vent and its only usually noticeable after sitting on couch with blanket semi blocking the vent.

as far as heat control, one would have to guess that Nissan has learned an expensive lesson and have come out with a more heat tolerant pack or as "Fight Club" suggests, simply weighed the cost of the fix verses hitting the right time to market.

now, some may complain about that last statement but I am seeing a lot of gratefulness on Nissan's recent actions that is something that should have been expected from day one. Its almost like an orchestrated play. We complain, they deny, they "accept" the challenge, release a better than expected solution, we are elated. So our short term elation is a substitution for what should have deeper sense of long term satisfaction.

whatever is ultimately true, it does appear that it is working too many repeat buyers, leasers and multi-LEAF households. albeit not working as fast as I would have liked but its starting to look like they started developing lizard battery much before they let on if its truly developed, vetted and tested already.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11474
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:04 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:not sure I would go that far. now I have a fan on my laptop that I can never hear running. only a feeling of warmth at times near the vent and its only usually noticeable after sitting on couch with blanket semi blocking the vent.
But no fans in most tablets.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14107
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:16 pm

evnow wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:not sure I would go that far. now I have a fan on my laptop that I can never hear running. only a feeling of warmth at times near the vent and its only usually noticeable after sitting on couch with blanket semi blocking the vent.
But no fans in most tablets.
not sure I can agree with that decision either. but then again, battery life has a completely different meaning in a tablet. my phone has no venting but definitely has heat buildup issues. now is it poor design of the casing or an even poorer design of the software that is causing the processor in the phone to work overtime? I am guessing its mostly the later but that hardly gives the former a pass
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimLee
Posts: 2811
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:13 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:... its starting to look like they started developing lizard battery much before they let on if its truly developed, vetted and tested already.
I agree Nissan may have had the more heat tolerant chemistry in their long range plans much earlier than summer 2012 when rapid capacity loss in Phoenix quickly became a severe problem for the LEAF.
I am less confident that the lizard battery is "truly developed, vetted and tested already".
The real testing has just begun.
Nissan appears to have done about the same accelerated aging on the new battery that they probably did on the 2011 battery.
That didn't work too well the first time.
We will only know how well it has worked this time in 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Might have more confidence in the lizard battery if Nissan had overall coulombic efficiency testing done of the 2011, 2013, and 2015 batteries by Professor Jeff Dahn (Dalhousie University) but I'm not sure they did that. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 96#p352669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14107
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:16 pm

TimLee wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:... its starting to look like they started developing lizard battery much before they let on if its truly developed, vetted and tested already.
I agree Nissan may have had the more heat tolerant chemistry in their long range plans much earlier than summer 2012 when rapid capacity loss in Phoenix quickly became a severe problem for the LEAF.
I am less confident that the lizard battery is "truly developed, vetted and tested already".
The real testing has just begun.
Nissan appears to have done about the same accelerated aging on the new battery that they probably did on the 2011 battery.
That didn't work too well the first time.
We will only know how well it has worked this time in 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Might have more confidence in the lizard battery if Nissan had overall coulombic efficiency testing done of the 2011, 2013, and 2015 batteries by Professor Jeff Dahn (Dalhousie University) but I'm not sure they did that. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 96#p352669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
yes, it is possible they tested it only to insure a decent margin of performance that exceeds the warranty replacement guidelines :o
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”