TonyWilliams

Re: Nema 30 amp/240V capable EVSE.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:44 pm

davewill wrote:Since Tesla can sell theirs for $650, and Nissan's sells for quite a bit more than that, one assumes it would be possible. Nissan just didn't.
The Tesla portable charge cord is ready to plug in your LEAF:

jlatl
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2013

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Hard to see in detail but it looks like Tesla has an odd plug for power in that I guess has an adapter so you can use one of the more normal 120v or 240v receptacles. If I am right that is what I was talking about.
2013 Leaf S

TonyWilliams

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 pm

jlatl wrote:Hard to see in detail but it looks like Tesla has an odd plug for power in that I guess has an adapter so you can use one of the more normal 120v or 240v receptacles. If I am right that is what I was talking about.
It comes with two plugs; NEMA 5-15 (normal wall socket of 120 volts and 15 amps) and NEMA 14-50 (RV parks with "50 amp service" at 240 volts).

It has many other available plugs, too.

The one I pictured is the JESLA conversion to J1772.

maini
Delivery Date: 25 May 2014
Leaf Number: 339745

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 am

RonDawg wrote:
jlatl wrote:Regarding the 12 amp draw and concerns about the quality of the average garage outlet, that is a valid concern. However, we don't need the standard EVSE to be modified to draw more than 12A at 120v.

Since the supplied EVSE can support 240v why not supply the unit with an odd, locking plug that goes to a pigtail for connection to the outlet. One pigtail would have the standard 120v plug and another would use a 240v twist lock connector.

For 120V still draw 12A. For 240V it could still draw 12A or go up to whatever the EVSE is rated for.

No increase in fire hazards, and to use for 240v you would still need to have an outlet installed by a qualified professional.
The supplied EVSE does NOT support 240 volt current "out of the box." It needs to be modified by someone like EVSE Upgrade to be able to safely handle that kind of current. Nissan has long been aware of people who have plugged unmodified OEM EVSE's from North American-market Leafs into 240 volt outlets, will not warranty any EVSE subjected to same, and has sent out a TSB to dealers advising them to look for telltale high voltage damage whenever a customer complains about the EVSE not working anymore.

The rest of the argument falls back into what I was saying earlier: Nissan is discouraging folks from using the trickle charger, since they don't know the quality of your existing house wiring. Already there is one current post where a Leafer has reported a fire resulting from poor wiring used to supply the particular outlet that he was using to charge his car.

The only way to make it safer is to reduce the amp draw of the EVSE, like GM has done with more recent model Volts. But that will slow down the charging rate even more; on a car with a smallish battery like a Volt, that may be OK, but even with the Leaf's 24 kWH battery that would mean a 25+ hour recharge time at 120 volts/8 amps, and that does not include any charging losses.

For $25 you can do this.. it works well and i have had many many charges out to this successfully..
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 SV Cayenne Red with LED and QC port

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”