kieranmullen
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 020781
Location: Hillsboro, oregon

Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 am

Tap into existing radiator system and put a blanket with hoses underneath attached to battery pack?
2012 SL 5-29-14 6,000 Miles 6-16-15 24,562 (all bars)

cwerdna
Posts: 11019
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 1:17 am

Doubt there's any room and w/o using a chilled system, you wouldn't be able to get temps to below ambient.

The video at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 28#p283728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is dead but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxL4LVgdP7E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has the sequence. :lol:

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Levenkay
Gold Member
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 11:10 am

Can't remember whether I shared this craziness before, but since I only need battery cooling on the rare occasions where I want to take a multi-QC journey, I could put up with a pretty crude solution, like an open-loop one where evaporated coolant is just vented to the atmosphere. I didn't keep my envelope-scratching, but as I recall, it looked hopeful that if one allowed the contents of a scuba-tank-sized bottle of liquid CO2 to spray out over the stacks of cells, its evaporation might carry away the heat from four or five 20%-ish-to-80%-ish charge/discharge cycles. Considering that the car will usually stay below nine temperature bars on such a drive (assuming it starts out at only five), one tank might cover a journey. Or maybe, depending on how thermally conductive the battery cases are, just contrive some sort of access hatch through which you could shove some dry ice?

smkettner
Posts: 7497
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 11:24 am

So freeze a sheet of ice in a pan and hold it up to the battery with a floor jack.
Best to remove the plastic cover.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

Graffi
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:01 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 414757
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 11:30 am

With what is happening with the DCQC stations, people like us who only need them when driving away from the local area on rare occasions, it is cost prohibited for us to use the Leaf, and much cheaper to use the ICE per mile than to use the DCQC's.

The way I see it, a network of L3 stations will only work if the Utilities provide the electricity at the EV rate. As it is the provider (eVgo, AC, Blink, CP, etc.) pays a high rate, then mark it up to give them enough to pay the Demand Charge and cover expenses.

Last night I stopped at a dealer 30 miles from home to top off before our return home. Last week their DCQC swithched over to eVgo. As it happened someone arrived just before us to use it, so we plugged into the L2 for 20 minutes or so. It gave us enough to get home. The guy at the L3 was just finishing as we drove away. We would not have used it anyway, why pay $10 for $1 of electricity at home. Gas is cheaper than that.

As to the battery cooling, maybe there is a way to put one of those water mist things in the air intake for the battery cooling. It could cool the outside air 10 or 20*f. Or find a way to have the water spray go directly over the battery pack. The evaporation of this water would cool them down.
2013 SL Metalic Slate - We LOVE our Leaf
MFG 08/13 Dlv 09/06/13 @ 10 mi
# 77 100 mile club
# 10 200 km club

2017 Tesla S 75D Pearl White
Delivered 5/16/17 @ 900 mi
Tesla Model 3 on order awaiting 200+ mile range Nissan Leaf

kieranmullen
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 020781
Location: Hillsboro, oregon

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 12:07 pm

$10 ? Wow The Blink chargers DC charge $5

$20 Unlimited charge for a month DC and Level 2 They are in remote areas but should be a no brainier for those that live in these areas.
I used it 5 times so far. I thought I would try it out while we make a few trips over the holiday weekend.

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/services/s ... er_network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part of it might be in some areas they are not allowed to charge per KW used like a utility would. Hopefully they will change that.
2012 SL 5-29-14 6,000 Miles 6-16-15 24,562 (all bars)

User avatar
Stanton
Forum Supporter
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Graffi wrote:With what is happening with the DCQC stations, people like us who only need them when driving away from the local area on rare occasions, it is cost prohibited for us to use the Leaf, and much cheaper to use the ICE per mile than to use the DCQC's.

The guy at the L3 was just finishing as we drove away. We would not have used it anyway, why pay $10 for $1 of electricity at home. Gas is cheaper than that.
That pretty much sums up my opinion, and why I didn't get the quick-charge port on my Leaf (back when you had to pay "extra" for it on an SV).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

johnrhansen
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 1:49 pm

they should have designed the chademo plug with a hose to blow filtered chilled air over the battery pack while the charger is in operation. This way, all the car needs is a place for the hose to go and some ducts leading to the battery. That's the only time my battery gets really hot (over 6 bars) is when I am quick charging... so that's when it really needs to be cooled.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

cwerdna
Posts: 11019
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Thu May 29, 2014 10:40 pm

johnrhansen wrote:they should have designed the chademo plug with a hose to blow filtered chilled air over the battery pack while the charger is in operation. This way, all the car needs is a place for the hose to go and some ducts leading to the battery. That's the only time my battery gets really hot (over 6 bars) is when I am quick charging... so that's when it really needs to be cooled.
Right... for folks in the cooler parts of the PNW (e.g. NOT places like Spokane), you guys, including the OP have little to worry about in terms of battery temps in normal operation and while parked.

The idea should give the OP an idea of Hillsboro vs. Phoenix weather...
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... raph/97123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/USAZ0166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 07#p215907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5735
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Add on coolant blanket for battery?

Fri May 30, 2014 8:23 am

cwerdna wrote:
johnrhansen wrote:they should have designed the chademo plug with a hose to blow filtered chilled air over the battery pack while the charger is in operation. This way, all the car needs is a place for the hose to go and some ducts leading to the battery. That's the only time my battery gets really hot (over 6 bars) is when I am quick charging... so that's when it really needs to be cooled.
Right... for folks in the cooler parts of the PNW (e.g. NOT places like Spokane), you guys, including the OP have little to worry about in terms of battery temps in normal operation and while parked.

The idea should give the OP an idea of Hillsboro vs. Phoenix weather...
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... raph/97123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/USAZ0166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 07#p215907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OMG, and people live there, on purpose?

I don't mind a little heat. But, Jesus!
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”