Houston810
Delivery Date: 25 Sep 2015

Want to buy but had some visibility issues.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:41 pm

I test drove a leaf today and it handled well and I liked almost everything about it. The only problems I had were that I'm 6'2 and it was a little tight. And then also, and this was the biggest problem for me, is that I felt like I couldn't see very much going on around me outside the car. I've driven a ford150 for the last 10years so I can normally see EVERYTHING.

So my question is, are there any easy body modification that can be done to increase visibility and space? My biggest issue was the back window was very small.

Thanks in advance.

2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Re: Want to buy but had some visibility issues.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:18 am

Houston810 wrote:I test drove a leaf today and it handled well and I liked almost everything about it. The only problems I had were that I'm 6'2 and it was a little tight. And then also, and this was the biggest problem for me, is that I felt like I couldn't see very much going on around me outside the car. I've driven a ford150 for the last 10years so I can normally see EVERYTHING.

So my question is, are there any easy body modification that can be done to increase visibility and space? My biggest issue was the back window was very small.

Thanks in advance.
You're not going to get battering ram of death visibility out of a Leaf or Prius or any car. You might just have to learn how to drive monitoring mirrors and such as you are supposed to so that you know what is going on all around you without needing to see 100% of everything 100% of the time since you can extrapolate which is how you are supposed to drive anyways.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:40 am

Houston810 wrote:I test drove a leaf today and it handled well and I liked almost everything about it. The only problems I had were that I'm 6'2 and it was a little tight. And then also, and this was the biggest problem for me, is that I felt like I couldn't see very much going on around me outside the car. I've driven a ford150 for the last 10years so I can normally see EVERYTHING.

Thanks in advance.
Fold down the rear seats when not in use, so that the rear headrests don't block your view. Or some people remove them if they know they're not driving rear passengers.

I also attached some convex mirrors to the side-views, mostly so I can better judge my position in a parking space.

Other than that, the body geometry is what it is. My only real visibility complaint is the amount of forward view blocked by the thick roof pillars but that is typical in cars nowadays to meet rollover requirements and room for airbags.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:16 am

Second the headrest removal. Taking off just the driver's side headrest will make what seemed like a small rear window *much* larger. You can leave the other one up for the occasional backseat passenger, or remove them both.

Get the "Premium Package." It includes a nice enough stereo, and a *fantastic* four camera parking system that is amazingly good. Plus it can apparently be hacked to provide street-level views around the car on the highway...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:47 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Second the headrest removal. Taking off just the driver's side headrest will make what seemed like a small rear window *much* larger. You can leave the other one up for the occasional backseat passenger, or remove them both.

Get the "Premium Package." It includes a nice enough stereo, and a *fantastic* four camera parking system that is amazingly good.
Agree w/removing the headrests to improve rear visibility or having them turned to the side, if you don't want them floating around in the car.

Yes, like the premium package. I LOVE the Around View Monitor system and even though I'm no fan of Bose, I'm enjoying the stereo. The premium package was worth it, IMHO. The QC + LED package? Unsure about the LED headlight part, but the QC port is looking like a waste of money again...

OP, can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it. By your username, I'm assuming you live in/near Houston...

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations? This is CRUCIAL. The Leaf may not work out for your situation at all.

You also said you wanted to buy. Are you sure? Many folks here lease, for various reasons.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Houston810
Delivery Date: 25 Sep 2015

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 am

I drive between 40-60 miles a day. I don't know if there is a charge station at my college but there is one at the mall which is a half way point for me.

2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:31 am

Houston810 wrote:I drive between 40-60 miles a day. I don't know if there is a charge station at my college but there is one at the mall which is a half way point for me.
At my university we had a lot of parking lots but at least 1 parking garage. There are 2 there now. In the garage there were outlets all over the place and the security people used them to plug in their little golf carts. I know now people use them to charge PiP's/Leaf's/Volt's. So you might have a similar situation. Even though it is a slooooooooooooooow charge, it is often enough. I charge only on L1 which is a standard household outlet. It is like running a hairdryer as long as it's plugged in. Since I am at work for 8+ hours that is a pretty good amount of range. Same at school if you are there for a few hours it may not be much, but it is a good supplement. Also when it is plugged in, I use that to preheat the inside of the cabin in the winter and precool in the summer. On L1 that basically means it stops charging to make the car warm/cold but then that is less battery required to do the same once you are on the road.

As to your half-way point charging, is it a L3? Do you want to hang out at the mall for an hour to get 20 or so miles of range if it is an L2? Only the high power L3 stations can do 80% in 30 or less minutes. So you would only be there for a few minutes to get home. It is a good backup plan, and good to be thinking ahead like that.

Good luck with the Leaf!
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

Slow1
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 425010

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks in advance.
I too have an F-150. It is my workhorse for wood hauling etc... but the 12mpg that I get on a downhill with a tailwind makes the Leaf practically free to drive in comparison :)

You just aren't going to get the same visibility in a small car - face it, if nothing else you are sitting too low. So, unless you are going to jack it up (Monster Leaf anyone?) it is going to be much more limited than what you are used to. Some of the suggestions given can perhaps help a bit, but in comparison to a full size truck sitting on top of the world, I doubt that you are going to make that much difference.
2013 S with 6kw upgrade (Black)
MFD Date 12/13

Bob
Delivery Date: 30 May 2013

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Compare the Leaf to other modern small cars and you'll have similar visibility problems. To make modern cars pass crash tests, they reduced the size of the rear window and increased the size of the roof support "pillars".

Bob

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:01 pm

Houston810 wrote:I drive between 40-60 miles a day. I don't know if there is a charge station at my college but there is one at the mall which is a half way point for me.
How much city vs. highway? At what speeds?

Can you point us to the station at the mall on http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? You can also use it to try to see if there are any at your college.

Besides what 2k1 brought up, how will you charge at home? Will it at be at 120 volts or will it be via a L2 EVSE (charging station/dock) or http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; plugged into a suitable 208/240 volt outlet? Charging at 120 volts is very slow.

If you don't understand what I'm referring to, see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 68#p332668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 30#p262630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”