A better guessometer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthwaite

I know there are lots of complaints about the "guessometer". But it seems to me a software upgrade could make this way better:

If you do NOT have a destination in the satnav, then I think it does the best of a difficult job - i.e. it extrapolates your current driving condition/habit forwards.

But if you DO have a destination in the satnav, well, there's plenty of good stuff that could be done. In a nutshell, you could have the system apportion the journey into road types and use the drivers past driving habits for those road types to estimate the power required to complete each segment. Total that up for what should be a pretty accurate estimate of the power required for that journey. Divide this by the total miles to get an average "anticipated power usage per mile". Divide the remaining battery power by this figure to get a better guestimate of miles remaining.

Any other ideas?

dthwaite said:
I know there are lots of complaints about the "guessometer". But it seems to me a software upgrade could make this way better:
Stop right there. "Software upgrade??" I don't think Nissan knows what that is.

Such a "smart" guess-o-meter is a great idea for a 3rd party app, or more likely as an add-on to an existing app like LeafSpy. But if you're thinking Nissan might come out with something like this, don't hold your breath.

Iirc, Nissan has already tried some of this, implemented in trip-planner function of CarWings. It's a royal pain in the ****

From user accounts, some of the other EVs on the market do a better job of guessing, without "the cloud". Just make the thing less bloody hysterical.

But in any event, each LEAF already has a far better guesser installed when driving:

I'd recommend the one on the left.

2378462448_43cd5378f3.jpg

Golly, your Nissan came with that guy? I'd find that seriously scary driving next to him however good at guessing he was ;)

Levenkay said:
dthwaite said:
Stop right there. "Software upgrade??" I don't think Nissan knows what that is.

Actually, when I was on chat with them yesterday the Nissan person said there was a major overhaul of CarWings coming very soon (though they gave no specific date). So I live in hope.

A better way to estimate range would involve using GPS to locate the car - whether you are climbing in elevation or descending, and historical traffic data, and air temperature data inputs would be very useful, too. Data "recording" for commonly traveled routes would pretty much lock down very accurate estimates.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130073113
Vehicle and method for estimating a range for the vehicle
Ford Global Technologies, Llc

Edit, almost forgot this...
http://news.investors.com/business/052815-754618-ford-opens-electric-vehicle-patents-to-others.htm
Ford Follows Tesla By Opening EV Patents To Rivals

Ford Motor filed for more than 400 EV patents last year alone, more than 20% of the total 2,000 patents it applied for in 2014. In all, Ford has more than 650 EV patents and about 1,000 patents pending.

Back