Oilpan4
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:18 am

Making the 62kwh fit is the easy part.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO
Location: 88103

mux
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 am
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:09 am

There is approx. 2.5-6cm of room between the top of the battery pack and the car. On the 2011, that space is partially taken up by the cable between charger and JB, coolant pipes to the OBC and the brake lines. On all other Leafs all that needs to fit through that space is the brake lines, which are tiny (like, 7mm OD).

The 62kWh will fit no problems at all. There's oodles of space for it. And I betcha it's going to work first time with my battery swap-programmed CAN bridge. Which is bad news, because if it actually does that will only inflate my ego that much more. So hopefully it'll actually take me weeks to figure it out :P

Lothsahn
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 am

mux wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:09 am
There is approx. 2.5-6cm of room between the top of the battery pack and the car. On the 2011, that space is partially taken up by the cable between charger and JB, coolant pipes to the OBC and the brake lines. On all other Leafs all that needs to fit through that space is the brake lines, which are tiny (like, 7mm OD).

The 62kWh will fit no problems at all. There's oodles of space for it. And I betcha it's going to work first time with my battery swap-programmed CAN bridge. Which is bad news, because if it actually does that will only inflate my ego that much more. So hopefully it'll actually take me weeks to figure it out :P
My preference would be damage to your ego vs weeks of your time. I want you to be successful as quickly as possible. We're all rooting for you, mux.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Oilpan4
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm

I can fit my hand between the battery and the floor of the car so I figure worse case scenario I have to modify a bracket.

I plan to buy a whole wrecked newer leaf for when I do a battery upgrade.
That takes care of getting plugs that fit the newer generation battery.
Removing and installing a 300kg batt shouldn't be a problem for me.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO
Location: 88103

AdventureMuffin
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:43 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2016

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:49 pm

Lothsahn wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 am
mux wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:09 am
There is approx. 2.5-6cm of room between the top of the battery pack and the car. On the 2011, that space is partially taken up by the cable between charger and JB, coolant pipes to the OBC and the brake lines. On all other Leafs all that needs to fit through that space is the brake lines, which are tiny (like, 7mm OD).

The 62kWh will fit no problems at all. There's oodles of space for it. And I betcha it's going to work first time with my battery swap-programmed CAN bridge. Which is bad news, because if it actually does that will only inflate my ego that much more. So hopefully it'll actually take me weeks to figure it out :P
Is that true too for the 2013 Leaf? Plenty of room left for an installation of a 62 KWH battery? If so, suggestions on where to purchase battery, CAN bridge, Instructions for delivery in the USA?

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 14356
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Is that true too for the 2013 Leaf? Plenty of room left for an installation of a 62 KWH battery? If so, suggestions on where to purchase battery, CAN bridge, Instructions for delivery in the USA?

Did you mean for this to be from you, rather than included in the post you quoted? Just use the Quote function to reply, then make sure that your post is below the end of the quote. I can fix the above if you want.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

AdventureMuffin
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:43 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2016

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm

mux wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:09 am
There is approx. 2.5-6cm of room between the top of the battery pack and the car. On the 2011, that space is partially taken up by the cable between charger and JB, coolant pipes to the OBC and the brake lines. On all other Leafs all that needs to fit through that space is the brake lines, which are tiny (like, 7mm OD).

The 62kWh will fit no problems at all. There's oodles of space for it. And I betcha it's going to work first time with my battery swap-programmed CAN bridge. Which is bad news, because if it actually does that will only inflate my ego that much more. So hopefully it'll actually take me weeks to figure it out :P
Is that true too for the 2013 Leaf? Plenty of room left for an installation of a 62 KWH battery? If so, suggestions on where to purchase battery, CAN bridge, Instructions for delivery in the USA?

Daklein
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm
Delivery Date: 02 Sep 2019
Location: Hartland, MI

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:25 pm

AdventureMuffin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm
Suggestions on where to purchase battery.
I just got back from a little trip yesterday and today, and I brought home a 62 kWh pack!! I found a salvage yard on car-part.com showing they had an 18 and 19 pack, but wasn't clear what they were. They sent me pictures of the labels once they had them at their yard. One was a 40 and the other a 62. :D I said I wanted the blue dot one, paid them and left to go get it.

Pictures here, including Leafspy screenshots: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cdNQUvgKKQvGX3wG8

serial #000015 62 has a broken HV connector, should be no big deal to replace if you have another connector assembly, have to open it up to replace it. But no dents on the cover. Leaf spy looks good? It had chalky white overspray or paint on the top of it. Maybe just dust or dirt, but maybe overspray from marking structural parts underneath a car for crash testing? Maybe the HV connector broke from the main cable being pushed rearward in a crash test? Or easily just broken during disassembly.

#000010 62 has some bigger dents on the top, must have touched the cells, should open it to check it. Looked like it might been tipped over on the ground? Leaf spy looks funny? Every other cell is hi lo hi lo, only 10-15mv, but why? Maybe some special testing. I can't think why it would look that way.

Any of these probably should be opened to make sure the dents are just superficial. Mine (serial # 000006 ) has some probably superficial dents on the top cover, I may open it to check, I'm not sure. And Leafspy looks similar to #015

The 62 packs report approximately 171 ahrs!! 97soh!! My pretty good 24 pack has only 62 ahrs!

The 40 looks like it had some other testing done on it. It has a hole from a pressure relief valve that got knocked off on the left side top cover. The other side still has a relief valve. It has some good dents on it too. The controls connector looks like the earlier 11-12 connector, but has the PTC heater plug like 13+. I didn't know the pinout for the 11-12 connector, so I didn't plug in to it, sorry. I'm not sure what sort of testing would need to have pressure relief on the case. I'd keep that in mind.
AdventureMuffin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm
Is that true too for the 2013 Leaf? Plenty of room left for an installation of a 62 KWH battery?
The 62 packs are a bit taller, and there could be some mechanical work to fit it. The rear side mounts are higher, vs. the 24/30/40 pack side mount tabs are all the same height I think. The Plus pack looks like it goes lower in the car, I see the front two mounts look different also. The front tabs are up a little higher like the rear side ones. I think my 24 front mount tabs are more flush with the bottom of the pack. It looks like the ground clearance is lower on the plus model, comparing pictures of 2018, vs. 2019 plus. The plus model you can see battery pack covers hanging below the rocker panel. It may require spacers and longer bolts on the first & second side mounts, to get all the mounts on the same plane.

I'll measure it up and figure out more when I unload the new one soon, and look again under my car and measure there. I hope it will fit as is, like the 40's fit in mux's gen 1 projects. It should fit, unless the Plus model underfloor structure is different? If not, I'll be making it fit somehow, modify either the car or the pack.
Last edited by Daklein on Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Leaf S Plus :o (12/2019 62kWh swap!)

mux
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 am
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:37 am

Considering he's got a 62 pack now, I'll be working with Daklein to figure out the 62kWh battery swap, until we get a hold of one of those packs ourselves. The scrapyard doesn't do international shipping themselves, and it's basically impossible to figure out how to ship these packs at reasonable cost without somebody on the spot doing most of the heavy lifting, so I have little hope we'll get the other 62 pack that's sitting there (dented... quite badly...)

Actual development of conversion kits for anyone to use is going to be something we might start in Q1 2020, but no promises. To be clear, this is going to happen, if you find a pack and you know you want to do this upgrade, by all means buy one, but it may take half a year until you have the CAN bridge and safe, well-tested firmware. Even then, this will all be incredibly at-your-own-risk stuff because we have no ability to do any checking if everything's properly installed, etc. and we do not have any insurance abroad. Just to get all of this out of the way.

Oilpan4
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm

mux wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:37 am
Considering he's got a 62 pack now, I'll be working with Daklein to figure out the 62kWh battery swap, until we get a hold of one of those packs ourselves. The scrapyard doesn't do international shipping themselves, and it's basically impossible to figure out how to ship these packs at reasonable cost without somebody on the spot doing most of the heavy lifting, so I have little hope we'll get the other 62 pack that's sitting there (dented... quite badly...)

Actual development of conversion kits for anyone to use is going to be something we might start in Q1 2020, but no promises. To be clear, this is going to happen, if you find a pack and you know you want to do this upgrade, by all means buy one, but it may take half a year until you have the CAN bridge and safe, well-tested firmware. Even then, this will all be incredibly at-your-own-risk stuff because we have no ability to do any checking if everything's properly installed, etc. and we do not have any insurance abroad. Just to get all of this out of the way.
I would like to do a pack swap fall 2020 at the earliest. Buying a crashed leaf from up to 800km away and towing it home is not really a problem to me.
Don't know if I will go with a 40kwh car or 62kwh yet.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO
Location: 88103

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”