User avatar
Dala
Forum Supporter
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851
Location: Finland
Contact: Website

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:17 am

Recently did a budget upgrade on my company car, and snapped some footage from the upgrade. Might be of interest for this forum :D

https://youtu.be/1Dwsk9lnr6I

kebin
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 2:18 pm
Delivery Date: 23 May 2019
Leaf Number: 18520

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:14 am

Thank you very much for sharing this dala, it's very interesting, as are your other videos as well, it's nice to see that concrete options exist to keep those cars on the road!

On newer AZE0 models, do you need to drill the battery support brackets?

I have been thinking of doing this kind of upgrade for quite some time, but it's impossible to find a used battery where I live (France). Or at least I don't know how to search. I contacted some scrapyards, but they don't have Leafs.
How did you find your used battery?

User avatar
Dala
Forum Supporter
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851
Location: Finland
Contact: Website

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:00 am

kebin wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:14 am
Thank you very much for sharing this dala, it's very interesting, as are your other videos as well, it's nice to see that concrete options exist to keep those cars on the road!

On newer AZE0 models, do you need to drill the battery support brackets?

I have been thinking of doing this kind of upgrade for quite some time, but it's impossible to find a used battery where I live (France). Or at least I don't know how to search. I contacted some scrapyards, but they don't have Leafs.
How did you find your used battery?
The newer AZE0 model does not require any drilling of the rear supports. It is very difficult to find the packs nowadays, since more and more people are starting to search for them, so they tend to sell the same day the crashed vehicle enters the lot. Maybe look into something like pro-LOX in the NL for buying a pack?

Oilpan4
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:03 am

How much is your 22 to 32 adaptor cable and can bridge plus shipping to the United States?
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

User avatar
Dala
Forum Supporter
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851
Location: Finland
Contact: Website

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:59 am

Oilpan4 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:03 am
How much is your 22 to 32 adaptor cable and can bridge plus shipping to the United States?
PM sent!

alozzy
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:27 am

Great video, very well explained and, other than figuring out how I would lower and raise the battery pack, seems easier than I thought it would be. Fantastic that you were able to keep this old LEAF on the road for your customer, there's finally hope for a reasonably priced upgrade!

The hard part, where I live, would be sourcing a reasonably priced 40 kWh pack. Not even sure where to begin with that hunt, but hopefully that will be easier in a few more years, when my 2013 no longer has adequate range...
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

knightmb
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 414897
Location: Franklin, TN

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:47 am

alozzy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:27 am
Great video, very well explained and, other than figuring out how I would lower and raise the battery pack, seems easier than I thought it would be. Fantastic that you were able to keep this old LEAF on the road for your customer, there's finally hope for a reasonably priced upgrade!

The hard part, where I live, would be sourcing a reasonably priced 40 kWh pack. Not even sure where to begin with that hunt, but hopefully that will be easier in a few more years, when my 2013 no longer has adequate range...
It's odd because where I am, the opposite is true where my area is awash with leaf packs, 40 and 62 kwh from salvage vehicles. Maybe I should start a shipping business :mrgreen:
Last edited by knightmb on Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Leaf SV

User avatar
Marktm
Gold Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Dala wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:59 am
PM sent!
Dala - if I changed the 24 kWh Lizard pack in my 2012 leaf to a 40 kWh pack , would the required changes result in the bidirectional CHAdeMO protocols to be available?
2012 Leaf SL; 46,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

User avatar
Dala
Forum Supporter
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851
Location: Finland
Contact: Website

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Marktm wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:13 pm
Dala wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:59 am
PM sent!
Dala - if I changed the 24 kWh Lizard pack in my 2012 leaf to a 40 kWh pack , would the required changes result in the bidirectional CHAdeMO protocols to be available?
No, the bi-directional chademo is afaik a function inside the VCM.

All I know is that there is a CAN-message that is sent on AZE0 Leaf, (on the EV-CAN, 0x1F2 from VCM), that is broadcasting if "PCS_Connector_Detection" is in Vehicle-2-Home mode. This is not present on the ZE0 Leaf, and that is probably why the early models don't do bidirectional chademo without an VCM update. Again, this is all speculation, I might be wrong!

cwerdna
Posts: 11343
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 pm

^^^
Dala, thanks! Not sure if you saw https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic. ... 27#p576427.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”