Silver SL
Yorba Linda, CA
5.9 Solar

lanceaz
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1613

Re: Opening the charger port could be easier

Thu May 19, 2011 2:51 pm

I agree. I have experienced the same thing. A little release right under the hatch would be fine.
Nissan LEAF - Blue Ocean SL-E
Reserved - August 2010 - Delivery: - April 26, 2011 - VIN: 1613
EV Project Blink - installed April, 2011
9.66 kWh PV system with 42 230KWh panels 4000W and 6000W SMA Sunny Boy inverters

davewill

Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Mx5racer wrote:I just taught my six year old how to run around, open the drivers door and then
pull the lever to open the charge door.

Remote control opener for when I forget :D :D :D
Yep, that works great until they turn 9 or 10.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Thu May 19, 2011 3:45 pm

the Fob option would just add more expense, buttons, etc. i can live without that. remember, it can all be made much easier, but keep in mind, its a...a...

mechanical thing. and it practically stands alone. nearly everything else is controlled electronically. even the old standby; the Parking Brake is no longer mechanical. when you consider the location of the latch, i find it difficult to really put the release handle anywhere else. its preferable that the cable be in a relatively straight line and ya, i agree, if i lost 20 lbs, it would be a lot easier for me to bend down to pull that lever.

but as it stands, several dozen things could have been made easier and that will always be true. we can get into a left-hand/right-hand discussion as well (i am left-handed) now the charge port latch release is waaaay down my list. now if we want to talk about inconvenient, lets talk about ECO mode
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SKPnSF

Mon May 30, 2011 9:12 pm

We agree, this seems obvious to us if you spend anytime with the car at all, the cover on the port should be more conveniently opened. An easy solution seems to be a double latch. Push once to open and push again to close. Certainly one might wonder why anyone would have it any other way if it had come that way in the first place.

GroundLoop

Mon May 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Because they didn't want anyone but the owner to be able to open the charging hatch.
The last thing I want to find in there is a lit cigarette, urine, or a beer.

Nope, if they can make a trunk pop remote from the fob, they can certainly put a solenoid latch on the charge port.

I'd pay money to convert my stupid Panic button into a charge-port release. Aftermarket alarm shops do this kind of thing all the time -- adding remote trunk pop and remote door unlock to older cars.

jwatte
Delivery Date: 14 Jul 2011

Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Now, that would be a good use for the "forgot where the car is" horn button on the remote.

I wonder how much we can hack into the alarm system, and whether that could be made to work (you'd need an actual servo/actuator to physically "pull" the release, I guess?)

blorg
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon May 30, 2011 9:54 pm

GroundLoop wrote:Because they didn't want anyone but the owner to be able to open the charging hatch.
I disagree. My Murano has a system like this (push to open, push to close) for the fuel door, and to prevent anyone from opening it, you can only open it when the car is unlocked. So if you LOCK the car, with the charging door closed, then nobody can open it. Unlock the doors, and anyone can open it. Very simple system. And Nissan does it already for the fuel door, even back when my 2005 Murano was made.
~ Blorg
---------------------------
2017 Nissan LEAF SV

EVDRIVER

Mon May 30, 2011 10:45 pm

It's easier to pop the trunk on some cars, very sloppy design having the release low and almost touching the hood release. When the car is turned off the latch should unlock and be able to pop open with a push. I give Nissan a D- on thinking this one through, even a button on the dash would be better. I keep wondering if they tested this car with real people or robots, clean robots of course as they would mess up the seats. I bet they knew popped the hood once on accident.

GroundLoop

Mon May 30, 2011 11:44 pm

blorg wrote:
GroundLoop wrote:Because they didn't want anyone but the owner to be able to open the charging hatch.
I disagree. My Murano has a system like this (push to open, push to close) for the fuel door, and to prevent anyone from opening it, you can only open it when the car is unlocked. So if you LOCK the car, with the charging door closed, then nobody can open it.
Ah, good point. My Infiniti did this too. It was just fine.

Considering it's something I have to do multiple times a day, putting it down there with the Hood Release seems really out of touch.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”