tps
Delivery Date: 07 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 18044

Re: Opening the charger port could be easier

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 am

In my brief couple days with the Hertz rental LEAF, I had no problem opening the charge door; it seemed no different than pulling the little release catch for the gas door when I had a Camry. I never pulled the hood release by mistake. The one suggestion I would offer is for Nissan to place some sort of light under the charge door itself; when plugging in after dark I had to do it by "feel", which was a little awkward. Maybe the light could be on a timer so it would go off after a minute or so, much like automatic headlights in many modern cars.

highcountryrider
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7355

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:15 pm

I really don't like the fact that I have to unlock the car to open the charge port. I like
the idea of the light as well. I'm thinking that will be my first mod. - add the light
and a door lock actuator, with a rolling code remote. I think I can do it for under
$50 in parts. The only downside is that I will have two fobs for the car, but I may
find things to use the other two channels for. ;)
2011 Nissan LEAF™ SV trim, blue ocean, no options, accessories:
floor and cargo mats, cargo net.
Ordered on: 05/16/2011
Delivered Sept 3, 2011.
AV Dock installed.

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 pm

a light would help, but it is way doable without it.
a fob on the remote would be cool, too.
but basically, the Leaf is perfectly set up to pull in, stop and turn off the car, gather your stuff, open the door and pull the charge release on your way out. stop, plug in ... make a cocktail, get in the hammock, check the tomato plants, whatever.

I find that arrival process so simple and straightforward; the button is in a perfect place. you never use it by accident and it so obviously IT when you reach down and pull it. last knob on the bottom left and straight on till morning.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

highcountryrider

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:15 pm

thankyouOB wrote:<snip> ... make a cocktail, <snip>
:D :D :D Works for me!
Delivered Sept 3, 2011.
AV Dock installed.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:40 am

I park outside, so you'd think I would really wish for a light, but it's no problem at all. I have the headlights set so they stay on long enough for me to see what I'm doing. And in fact there are several times that I've gone out later to plug in, and I still have no problem. After a few weeks your hand seems to know automatically where to put the connector, and it slides right in.

As for unlocking the charge door, I keep track of the numbers every time I charge, so my procedure is:
  1. Stop in the driveway and look at the bars. If more than six, power down, get out, close the door, and push the lock button. I'm done.
  2. Otherwise, hit the park button then the overhead light.
  3. Pull my tiny notebook from the slot in the left armrest and record the numbers. Put it away.
  4. Hold the top right and bottom left buttons in the group of four until m/kWh and trip mileage resets.
  5. Drop my hand and pop the charge door release.
  6. Reach up with my other hand to turn off the overhead light, then down to power off.
  7. Get out, close the door, and push the lock button.
  8. Open the charge door and release the charge dock cover.
  9. Go grab the cable and connector, release the plastic cover and plug it in.
  10. Drop the charge door down on the connector and wait for the three blue lights to flash.
I know, it sounds like a lot of steps, but it's really just a habit. The key for me is that step 5 naturally and immediately follows step 4. I'm not sure how the process could be simplified other than automatically recording of the numbers. Well, I guess popping the charge door could cause it to open wide and release the charge dock cover, but that's no big deal. What would be a big deal for me would be rummaging in my pocket to find the fob, pulling it out, and squinting to see which button I needed to push.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 am

highcountryrider wrote:I really don't like the fact that I have to unlock the car to open the charge port. I like
the idea of the light as well. I'm thinking that will be my first mod. - add the light
and a door lock actuator, with a rolling code remote. I think I can do it for under
$50 in parts. The only downside is that I will have two fobs for the car, but I may
find things to use the other two channels for. ;)
Why go through so much trouble? Just add a simple cord up front to manually release the charge door. It's already been done by many people. See this thread.

saywatt
Delivery Date: 25 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4701

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:22 am

I think Nissan should have taken tips from Microsoft operating systems - have multiple locations for the same function. I like the current location, however, on occaisian, I might want to right-click the drive selector to open the port. :lol: :lol:

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:07 am

thankyouOB wrote:you never use it by accident and it so obviously IT when you reach down and pull it. last knob on the bottom left and straight on till morning.
:)

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:28 am

Herm wrote:
thankyouOB wrote:you never use it by accident and it so obviously IT when you reach down and pull it. last knob on the bottom left and straight on till morning.
:)
grazie
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

highcountryrider

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 am

Volusiano wrote:<snip>Why go through so much trouble? Just add a simple cord up front to manually release the charge door. It's already been done by many people. See this thread.
I'd rather that it couldn't be opened without a "key". Some a**hole with an attitude about electric
cars could do damage to the port.
saywatt wrote:I think Nissan should have taken tips from Microsoft operating systems[...]I might want to right-click the drive selector to open the port. :lol: :lol:
Heaven forbid! "LEAF has attempted to execute an illegal instruction and will be shut down." :o
Delivered Sept 3, 2011.
AV Dock installed.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”