Charging station updates via Carwings are unacceptable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdogldr

I just learned that the map updates for new charging stations only gets updated quarterly which is really unacceptable. Apparently, the contract with the supplier was written for quarterly updates only meaning that you could potentially run out of juice and be a block away from a new station was installed in the last 3 months.

If Nissan wants to make this car a success, it must have the charging infrastructure current especially during the launch period. The biggest question I get asked from people about the Leaf is "where can you get this recharged" when you are driving. The worst thing that can happen is the have a Leaf sitting on the side of the road with no power.

I also question the validity of the updates. I know of two locations in my general driving area that have been operational for the past 3 months and they did not show up on the last quarterly update that was done last month. Someone at Nissan HQ needs to get their head out of their ass and change the contract to at least semi-monthly updates; especially during this start up period.

bigdogldr said:
I just learned that the map updates for new charging stations only gets updated quarterly which is really unacceptable. Apparently, the contract with the supplier was written for quarterly updates only meaning that you could potentially run out of juice and be a block away from a new station was installed in the last 3 months.

If Nissan wants to make this car a success, it must have the charging infrastructure current especially during the launch period. The biggest question I get asked from people about the Leaf is "where can you get this recharged" when you are driving. The worst thing that can happen is the have a Leaf sitting on the side of the road with no power.

I also question the validity of the updates. I know of two locations in my general driving area that have been operational for the past 3 months and they did not show up on the last quarterly update that was done last month. Someone at Nissan HQ needs to get their head out of their ass and change the contract to at least semi-monthly updates; especially during this start up period.

In my opinion, you have overlooked the real problem, which is that they haven't delivered on the charging maps that the promised. You can go to the Chargepoint network website and find 201 chargers in Northern California; the maps in the car currently show 5 locations with no more than a dozen chargers total, by comparison. I believe Nissan's failure to deliver on the charging maps promised in their slick advertising rates as my second highest customer dissatisfier (with my top dissatisfier being the monopoly-provider price gouging for AV charger installation). During a trip to Santa Cruz County, where I found 7 charger locations in an on-line search, the Nissan maps claim there is nothing. I had to spend 20 minutes writing down addresses in case I needed an emergency top-off. Fortunately, I was able to make the trip without needing to recharge. But if the maps had been provided, Leaf owners wouldn't have to spend their time doing research before every long trip, the way they do now.

- Bob

Charging locations are added to the Carwings database frequently, and you can get them by askubg your LEAF to update in your (or some other) map area.

Yes, they are slow coming, but I probably have 20 or so now. A lot better than the "nothing" we got in this area several months back.

Carwings should REALLY have a way for us to gather/suggest locations to them.

They could even automate the process, gathering all the "public" station locations that we use.

garygid said:
Carwings should REALLY have a way for us to gather/suggest locations to them.

They could even automate the process, gathering all the "public" station locations that we use.

I've suggested "crowdsourcing" as an option for Nissan, if they don't want to have employees do it, or hire an outside data provider. They need to do something, though... Right now they only have <5% of available charging stations listed, which is unacceptable.

Back