Nissan support for existing owners (early adopters)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rreed2000

I first saw the Leaf on exhibit at the Newseum in Washington, DC. And recently, I bought one (a 2011 SL model). My question is - has Nissan committed to providing at least some upgradeability to current owners for things like an upgraded on-board charging system, upgraded battery capacity, etc? I understand that it's not practical to commit to swapping out electrical motors for a more efficient model, but increasing range is critical in winning widespread acceptance. I only hope they won't abandon the folks who became early adopters of the technology.

At the Newseum, when I asked if Nissan would provide an upgrade path for better batteries and charging systems, the Nissan folks there would only say "Nissan is considering that."

Has anyone heard anything more concrete than that from Nissan?

rreed2000 said:
I first saw the Leaf on exhibit at the Newseum in Washington, DC. And recently, I bought one (a 2011 SL model). My question is - has Nissan committed to providing at least some upgradeability to current owners for things like an upgraded on-board charging system, upgraded battery capacity, etc?
Nope. While at one point Mark Perry said that an upgrade to 6.6 Kw charging was possible, that has since been pretty much ruled out. There aren't any other promises, or even hints, that any upgrade is a possibility. What you see is what you get.

The electric motor itself is plenty efficient.

I don't necessarily see any impediment to putting in higher-capacity battery modules as long as the form factor stays the same. The question is cost and whether/when such cells might become available.

Of course in the aftermarket all things are possible and one could replace any or all of the electric components if they're determined and wealthy enough to do so. :)

Historically with technology products, customers always ask for (demand) an upgrade path, but the actual take rate is always a fraction of the implied demand. This combined with the fast pace of technology evolution, makes upgrades a losing proposition for manufacturers.

So essentially today your upgrade path for any kind of technology is sell your old one to a late adopter, and use those proceeds to get the latest and greatest.

no car of any kind has really had any "after the purchase" upgrades. your best bet is to wait for 3rd party aftermarket vendors to step up and they will. if there is a need, someone will fill it

rreed2000 said:
My question is - has Nissan committed to providing at least some upgradeability to current owners for things like an upgraded on-board charging system, upgraded battery capacity, etc?

Nissan and its dealers have committed to providing a vigorous trade-in program for your used Leaf and the subsequent purchase of an upgraded up-to-date new Leaf.. and they will commit to allowing at most wholesale auction prices for your trade-in ;)

The newer your Leaf is the higher the allowance towards the purchase of a current one. They even have a program that automatically gets you a new one every 39 months, at special financing rates... at least until the $7500 tax credit runs out.

DaveinOlyWA said:
no car of any kind has really had any "after the purchase" upgrades. your best bet is to wait for 3rd party aftermarket vendors to step up and they will. if there is a need, someone will fill it

Tesla had offered retroactive upgrades on some of their improvements. I have been very impressed with their treatment of the early adapters.

Nissan lets you to upgrade traction battery to the latest technology.

Stoaty said:
rreed2000 said:
I first saw the Leaf on exhibit at the Newseum in Washington, DC. And recently, I bought one (a 2011 SL model). My question is - has Nissan committed to providing at least some upgradeability to current owners for things like an upgraded on-board charging system, upgraded battery capacity, etc?
Nope. While at one point Mark Perry said that an upgrade to 6.6 Kw charging was possible, that has since been pretty much ruled out. There aren't any other promises, or even hints, that any upgrade is a possibility. What you see is what you get.

TomT said:
To reiterate: Except for Tesla, of course! :D

DaveinOlyWA said:
no car of any kind has really had any "after the purchase" upgrades.
Beat me to it... I suggested somewhere in a long lost thread that car companies, in the realm of electric, should be relationships, founded on customer exchanges like upgrades... Something like rather than buying a car, it was an ongoing relationship. However, the manufacturer dealer model is based on a quick punch on sale, and service pricing that is typically more expensive than independent service. Perhaps the Tesla marketing and distribution model gives them a head up on this? It's my expectation that I will keep the particular I bought for LEAF for a long time (I planned on battery degradation, but less so on a dearth of fast chargers and very low cost opportunity charging).

You can install 2015 battery into 2011 Leaf today, whether you believe it or not.

Stoaty said:
sergeyka said:
I will believe that when I can buy a 30 kwh battery (coming in 2016 Leaf) and install it in my 2011 Leaf.

All that is is a chemistry "fix" for Nissan's disastrous degradation mistake with the first three years of batteries. It really brings nothing else to the party so I would hardly call it an "upgrade..."

sergeyka said:
You can install 2015 battery into 2011 Leaf today, whether you believe it or not.
Stoaty said:
sergeyka said:
I will believe that when I can buy a 30 kwh battery (coming in 2016 Leaf) and install it in my 2011 Leaf.

TomT said:
To reiterate: Except for Tesla, of course! :D

DaveinOlyWA said:
no car of any kind has really had any "after the purchase" upgrades.

which only illustrates the obvious that is not Tesla centric in that EVs are not "your father's car" and will rewrite the rules that automakers will grudgingly follow

Before we start rewriting all the rules, let's see if it can meet a few of them like meet or exceed your stated production goals.

If we are using that as a benchmark, then the Leaf is a huge failure too... It can nowhere even remotely close to meeting the stated sales goals...

mjblazin said:
Before we start rewriting all the rules, let's see if it can meet a few of them like meet or exceed your stated production goals.

Back