EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

I've basically given up on Nav in this car

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:39 pm

This is the first car I've ever had with built-in Nav. I always thought it was overpriced. What I didn't realize, though, is how worthless it is. Not only is in-car nav expensive, but in the case of the Leaf it's actually not usable.

Here are the problems with this car's nav:

1) The Bad: The hand-holding is ridiculous. I cannot go direct to an XM station while driving, but I can navigate (requiring more steps) via catalog. Also, a passenger cannot put in a destination while driving. This is infuriating at times and in the same vein as the oft-hated "ok" button at start-up.

2) The Ugly: Search is woefully, shockingly, heart-breakingly, and breathtakingly terrible. I've complained on this before, but I have found that about HALF/50% of the locations I want to go to I cannot find. It just cannot find common street names. I don't know if it's because of its ineptitude with cities/townships that are right next to each other, or it has in the computer a street such as "E avenue" and I put in "East Avenue", but it can't find anything.

Although I have this navigation system on a four month old car the nav I actually use when I need it, because it finds 100% of everything on the planet 100% of the time, and quickly, is my iPhone's google maps with a $11 phone holder hanging from the windshield. So am I too stupid to use the car's nav? Maybe! However, Google maps at least doesn't remind me of my stupidity and finds what I want.

The only thing good I can say about nav in this car is that if it does manage to find a location it works well, with a nice crisp direction to it and easy to follow.

I can't wait for car manufacturers to build real capabilities into their dash computers/displays and give us apps like google maps.

davewill

Re: I've basically given up on Nav in this car

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 pm

The lock out while driving is pretty much par for the course. All Navs seem to do it. As far as the search, I haven't had much problem searching for streets, but the location database (businesses, etc...) is poor. Nowhere near as well populated as the one in my last two gens of Prius.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Once you set up a route in Google Maps, you can send it to the LEAF's navigation for the turn-by-turn directions. Seems to work pretty well. Not sure if you can do it from a cellphone, but from maps.google.com, it works.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

jackal
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 001904

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Sorry about your bad experiences. I had some difficulty using it initially..but as time goes by and I started to fill up the address book, the Nav is pretty perfect nowadays.
Silver SL with QC
reserved 7/13/10, ordered 1/31/11, delivered 5/26/11
Blink installed 6/14/11
2kW PV w Enphase microinverters
2001 Prius

TonyWilliams

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:11 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote: but I have found that about HALF/50% of the locations I want to go to I cannot find. It just cannot find common street names...
I can't wait for car manufacturers to build real capabilities into their dash computers/displays and give us apps like google maps.
Tesla is already using Google maps.

You can always use the "MAP" feature (instead of an address) to physically move the pointer to the destination to the place on the map that you want to go.

There are several ways to disable the "can't set destination address while moving" safety feature. I've detailed how I did it in the forum. At it's simplest, you can literally put an ON/OFF switch in one wire to the Navigation unit. Quick and easy.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 pm

If you wish to find/enter E (or East) Grady Dr (or Drive), you should
ONLY enter "Grady", and NOT the E or East or Dr or Drive, and it will
prompt you for the variations of Grady, if needed, later.

That should make the street searching work well.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

TonyWilliams

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

http://kemp.it/keith/leaf-nav-override.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 51#p186651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 pm

I never use the nav for entering information. The leaf link app works so much better and the passenger can send the data to the car while its moving. I highly recommend this app.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:33 pm

Nubo wrote:Once you set up a route in Google Maps, you can send it to the LEAF's navigation for the turn-by-turn directions. Seems to work pretty well. Not sure if you can do it from a cellphone, but from maps.google.com, it works.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can't do it from a cellphone apparently, at least not iOS, last I checked a month or two ago :(

It's really absurd that the search is so bad that it's common practice of people to find the location in google maps and transmit to the car.
You can always use the "MAP" feature (instead of an address)
I've never used that. I will give that a shot!
If you wish to find/enter E (or East) Grady Dr (or Drive), you should
ONLY enter "Grady", and NOT the E or East or Dr or Drive, and it will
prompt you for the variations of Grady, if needed, later.
Thanks, will try this, too.
The leaf link app works so much better and the passenger can send the data to the car while its moving. I highly recommend this app.
I have this app; it's better than the Nissan one...Except I've never used it for mapping. I will try this, too.

Three great ideas, thanks, everyone!

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:
Nubo wrote:Once you set up a route in Google Maps, you can send it to the LEAF's navigation for the turn-by-turn directions. Seems to work pretty well. Not sure if you can do it from a cellphone, but from maps.google.com, it works.

You can't do it from a cellphone apparently, at least not iOS, last I checked a month or two ago :(

It's really absurd that the search is so bad that it's common practice of people to find the location in google maps and transmit to the car.
I agree the LEAF's nav is balky to use. But even if it were more user-friendly I just find it a lot easier to plan a trip on a large screen with Google Maps. I'm used to the interface and it's just a lot easier to examine the area, look at alternatives, local amenities, and various other examinations I like to do before a longish trip to an unfamiliar destination. I'll sometimes plan a route online with CarWings, and then switch to Google Maps to round out the process.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”