kicker
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2020
Leaf Number: 57212

Re: 13-17 Leaf S Radio Install Guide

Wed May 27, 2020 5:08 pm

My Leaf S came with some knockoff touchscreen stereo in it, I recently swapped to a Kenwood unit and it sounds a lot better, more power now to drive the speakers properly.

erothenberger
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2019

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi all,

This guide has been very helpful so far. Thanks for that.

Question for the knowledgeable - where did you put the ground(s) for your aftermarket head unit and other components that needed ground wires? The harness black wire says it's for Subaru only, but it seems like there is what looks like a ground wire going into that port from the car. Can I tie my grounds into that? Or must I ground each wire separately to the frame?

First time I've installed my own HU on my own...I did about 15 years ago on a different car, but with help. Use small words :lol:

-E

mkj
Delivery Date: 13 Sep 1979

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:05 pm

> The harness black wire says it's for Subaru only

@erothenberger - in my 2013 Leaf this wire was indeed grounded to the chassis - checked with multimeter. Used it and it does seem to be working.

mkj

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 pm

dmbshn41 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:46 pm
twizttid1 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:54 pm
OK - I had a bit of a *EUREKA* moment this evening while studying the pin diagrams and my wiring harnesseseseseses.
My mistake is I used the basic Metra 70-7552 wiring harness. It doesn't have anything in pins 6, 15 and 16 which are the very pins the steering wheel controls are coming through!!!
My plan is to replace my basic harness with the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 wiring harness (with the SWC wires I need to work with) and get it in after a whole lot of sniping. stripping and soldering.

Then looking at the AX-NIS32SWC-6V harness.... the 12 pin harness that goes into the ASWC-1 has the needed SWC pins grounded off together.

I will need to snip and splice into the wires of pin 5 & 11 of the AX-NIS32SWC-6V 12 pin harness and wire them into pins 6 & 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 respectively; while grounding pin 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 off.....

That **SHOULD** do the trick. I will report back if all goes well!
I may have made this similar mistake as well. Def interested in your results. Let us know.
@zednak @dmbshn41 @twizttid1 - either of you succeeded in making this work? In my case AX-NIS32SWC-6V also has the ASWC-1 pins in question grounded off together and controls won't work.

ncoig
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2020

Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:34 pm

mkj wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 pm
@zednak @dmbshn41 @twizttid1 - either of you succeeded in making this work? In my case AX-NIS32SWC-6V also has the ASWC-1 pins in question grounded off together and controls won't work.
Just seeing this -- it all works fine for me, but I'm unsure what you did. If you still need help, post up and I'll try to check back here soon.

-N

mkj

Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:42 pm

ncoig wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:34 pm
Just seeing this -- it all works fine for me, but I'm unsure what you did. If you still need help, post up and I'll try to check back here soon.

-N
All figured out, got this harness instead: https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/AHH-70-7552.html
and ended up not even needing Axxess ASWC-1.

vdm
Delivery Date: 01 Dec 2020
Leaf Number: 100529

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Just dropping into this thread, as I'm in a similar boat with our Japanese new-import 2014 S AZE0-1x (G2), sporting the terrible Pioneer Carrozzeria AVIC-EVZ05 (includes GPS & rear-camera).
This is the most entry-level EV we could afford, so lacks pretty much all the mod-cons from other models, eg. no big buttons next to the head unit, no steering wheel controls, etc.

When it comes to auto electrical, I'm a complete novice & a little out of my depth, so please be patient if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I've made arrangements with my mechanic/technician to help with the installation (as part of a package deal), but with the condition I source the parts myself & pay-per-hour for labour. Seems fair.

I'm looking at fitting a pretty vanilla Android 2-DIN head unit, and would like to avoid slicing & splicing the cables on the car (because it takes billable time & I'll want to remove the new HU when we sell).
I've tried all sorts of LMGTFY, but much is over my head or in Japanese.
Can't even determine if all AVIC range units have the same pin-outs, for when I try to reference a wiring diagram.

Living in NZ, shipping options are... difficult. Cost of shipping can often exceed the cost of goods and takes aaaages, so I need to get it right the first time.

TL;DR: what cabling & connectors (i.e. conversion dongle) would I need to mount the new aftermarket generic Android HU to the car-side cabling left behind by an AVIC-EVZ05, including appropriate mounting brackets? (I can 3D print some trim)

42phan
Delivery Date: 24 Dec 2020

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:58 pm

I followed the instructions and parts list from this thread and was able to successfully install an after-market ATOTO stereo in my 2016 Leaf.
Everything but the steering wheel controls are working correctly, which I haven't attempted yet.

I'm having one problem, however, I"m hoping someone can help me with - the dashboard Airbag light has been flashing since I finished the install, and a little red triangle is illuminated. I tried re-installing the factory head unit, but still the light flashes.

I followed some Nissan airbag light reset instructions I found googling around - but they didn't seem to help with the problem. Some suggest that powering on before reinserting the center dash passenger airbag warning light harness may have caused this issue, which is quite possible. The passenger airbag light seems to function properly - darkening when a passenger is there, and illuminating when empty.

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for how to get this light to turn off.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”