Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: crutchfield recommends no amp/ subwoofer on leaf

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:14 am

golfcart wrote:
crutchfield wrote:An EV is not the car to choose if you want to build a massively powerful audio system. We do not recommend installing any amplifiers in electric vehicles due to the current draw that they will introduce to the system
This seems monumentally silly. Even a 500W draw would only eat 2 miles of range per hour of operation. And of course amplifiers consume nowhere near their peak values most of the time.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:04 am

Nubo wrote:
golfcart wrote:
crutchfield wrote:An EV is not the car to choose if you want to build a massively powerful audio system. We do not recommend installing any amplifiers in electric vehicles due to the current draw that they will introduce to the system
This seems monumentally silly. Even a 500W draw would only eat 2 miles of range per hour of operation. And of course amplifiers consume nowhere near their peak values most of the time.
It's not a range issue, per Crutchfield, it is a concern about overburdening the accessory battery and charging system.

I've heard the DC/DC converter can supply about 130a (I remember reading on this site somewhere but don't have it sourced). If the heater is on full blast that pulls a lot of juice, I don't know how much margin that leaves you with to power a big amp and all of the other accessories in the vehicle. That would be my guess as to why they make that recommendation but I can only speculate as they refused to be specific about it.
2018 SV

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:16 am

If the heater is on full blast that pulls a lot of juice, I don't know how much margin that leaves you with to power a big amp and all of the other accessories in the vehicle. That would be my guess as to why they make that recommendation but I can only speculate as they refused to be specific about it.
The heating element and/or heatpump is powered from the traction battery. It's the blower and vent motor only that are powered by the 12 volt system.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:50 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
The heating element and/or heatpump is powered from the traction battery. It's the blower and vent motor only that are powered by the 12 volt system.
I guess that makes sense, it wouldn't be very efficient at 12V. I'm stumped then, I don't know what Crutchfield is worried about aside from the decreased life of the 12V battery itself. It doesn't seem like an amplifier pulling 20 - 30 amps max would be a big deal. But hey, I'm not a EE so what do I know...
2018 SV

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:57 pm

One of life's more subtle lessons is that "experts" make stupid mistakes, too.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”