Map update Aug 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also successfully updated the maps over the air on Friday evening--took about an hour or so with fast internet connection (system estimated over 4 hours). I selected maps for all areas except the oceans. Unfortunately, the updates did not address my local map discrepancies--I still get warnings about unpaved road driving out of my neighborhood on a road that was paved before I moved there 20 years ago.

while I like having the maps on my SV+, I am becoming very fond of the Android auto map with satellite images and traffic overlay, which I can bring up on both cars (S+ and SV+).

Since Google added the ability to download maps ahead of time in case you are in an area with no cellular service, I no longer see the point of putting up with outdated in car NAV maps.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Since Google added the ability to download maps ahead of time in case you are in an area with no cellular service, I no longer see the point of putting up with outdated in car NAV maps.
Google vs the car companies on navigation.

Google has far more users. Google has far more data and computers. Google can target far more advertising based on the navigation destinations. The only thing that the car companies have to offer is privacy of searches. Just remember you are naked in Google's eyes.

Its true.

Does Tesla still use google mapping data, or have they moved to apple/another provider?

I have noticed Waze features now popping up in google maps (police trap alerts, etc.).

Once Android wireless support gets wide adoption in the car head units, I think the other sat navs will fall away.

Since I don't always plug my phone in when getting in the car, having the on tap maps is helpful at times.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Its true.

Does Tesla still use google mapping data, or have they moved to apple/another provider?

I have noticed Waze features now popping up in google maps (police trap alerts, etc.).

Once Android wireless support gets wide adoption in the car head units, I think the other sat navs will fall away.

Since I don't always plug my phone in when getting in the car, having the on tap maps is helpful at times.

With Android 11, wireless Auto is supported for all phones. Need 5GHz WIFI.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Yep, now we just need the cars to support it. BWM already has a couple models with wireless android support. Not sure who else.

Audi eTron is reported to work with this. After FexEx gets here today, I'll give a report. Samsung or Pixel phones with Android 10 are supposed to work.

GM has included wireless Android Auto and CarPlay on some newer models: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/04/gm-begins-rollout-for-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto/. I don't have a complete list.

For iOS users like me, I can at least choose from two Google properties (Google Maps and Waze) + Apple Maps. https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/ under "Choose your favorite navigation app" lists most are clearly for markets outside the US (e.g. Chinese names and for South Korea are likely Naver and KakaoNavi),

DougWantsALeaf said:
Its true.

Google bought WAZE about 3-4 years ago. Another case of "If we can't figure out how to do it better than them we buy them"

As far as the privacy thing; not sure how its detrimental to me other than targeted advertising that occasionally actually hits the target or the traffic alerts that seem to be very accurate 99% of the time. Of course, its easier when you are tracking 5,000 phones in the area.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Google bought WAZE about 3-4 years ago. Another case of "If we can't figure out how to do it better than them we buy them"

As far as the privacy thing; not sure how its detrimental to me other than targeted advertising that occasionally actually hits the target or the traffic alerts that seem to be very accurate 99% of the time. Of course, its easier when you are tracking 5,000 phones in the area.
Well, besides any logging it may do of your queries, locations and so on, if you have it enabled, Google can track where you have been: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-do-i-see-my-google-location-history. I disable that and also don't use Google Maps signed in (however, that's required to d/l their offline maps). I also don't use Waze signed in.... but Google can sure have enough info about you w/o signing in if you use it enough and have common start and end points and/or patterns.

And, some people find Google Now creepy, so I disable that. And, location info is disabled on the Android phone I carry around. My primary phone is an iPhone but I usually carry around 2 or 3 phones (personal iPhone 8, work Android phone (Pixel 3), and another iOS test device).

WetEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Google vs the car companies on navigation.

Google has far more users. Google has far more data and computers. Google can target far more advertising based on the navigation destinations. The only thing that the car companies have to offer is privacy of searches. Just remember you are naked in Google's eyes.

Well, there is a workaround and that is downloading maps ahead of time and go to airplane mode. This option is for those times when you have no cellular signal. Then you only use GPS but you get no traffic updates and that is a major problem around here.

^^^
I guess that can work as long as you delete the Google Maps app before you re-enable connectivity since I have no idea if Google stores your location history, queries, etc. and uploads it upon reconnecting...

cwerdna said:
^^^
I guess that can work as long as you delete the Google Maps app before you re-enable connectivity since I have no idea if Google stores your location history, queries, etc. and uploads it upon reconnecting...

I am guessing they probably do store that info. They do have an option where you can opt out of being followed but guessing that is not all its supposed to be either.

But in the grand scheme of things, one would only have to check my public to all Facebook profile to track my movements. :roll:

I don't have the same version of Leaf (or NAV) as the OP, but I upgraded the maps in my 2011 (for the first time) a couple of months ago and notice a difference where I now get traffic info (via XM) on some of the new highways; I also like the fact that charging stations are integrated into the NAV display (even if I don't use them). It seems as though the last update for the Gen 1 Leaf was 2018, so I did it before they pulled it all-together. It was as simple as an SD memory card swap.

Map update. For my vehicle that has a max range of 35 miles. Certainly no need for OTA map update on my 2012 SL...ever!

That's a good one and thanks for the laugh!

Back