Confused about Nissan Connect

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordie

Hi.
We just purchased a used 2013 Leaf SL.
I'm trying to connect to Nissan Connect. I registered with Nissan Connect and added the VIN. But now only get the choice to activate Carwings, which it then tells me is defunct.

I believe the nav unit has been has been upgraded. The TCU ID is 2014-99002707
I can't get the car to connect. (The last Nissan update was in May just before the previous owner sold it)

Any help appreciated

If I'm in the wrong part of the forum, please direct me :)
Thanks

David

My confusion with Nissan Connect - how did such a buggy, unreliable combination of hardware (TCU) and software ever end up in a production car.

Trust me, it's just not worth the effort to try to get it to work. Your time would be better served watching presidential "debates", standing in line at the grocery store, cleaning lint out of the dryer trap...

I can't believe how much FUD--and just plain wrong information--has been offered...so I will try to help the OP.
I suspect your TCU needs to be upgraded to the 3G version; at the very least, you may need the dealer to "associate" your TCU with your (new) account. Either way, a trip to a Nissan dealer is required. The TCU ID provided doesn't tell me much, but the Nissan part number for your model year (12/1/2012 - 9/30/2015) should be 283B0-3NF2B.

I use CarWings/EVConnect almost every day, and the time (and upgrade $) to "fix" it is worth it IMO. The service itself is "free", and it remains the only way to "talk" to your Leaf. Good luck!

I can't believe how much FUD--and just plain wrong information--has been offered...so I will try to help the OP.

[sarcasm]

LOL, I take it back, I've never seen such an exceptional car app as Nissan Connect. It's absolutely worth every hour (there will be many) spent getting it to work properly...

And, as long as you enjoy going through the whole process every time the system forgets its settings, then you'll be thrilled with the two or three useful things it does.

Oh, plus Nissan rolled out those replacement TCUs with the latest 3G technology, so you can continue to enjoy it for another year or so before 3G signals disappear like the 2G before it.

... Verizon will continue to support "the remaining" 3G devices on its network through the end of 2020 ...

... AT&T will shut down its 3G network in early 2022 as the company shifts its focus to 5G implementation ...

Bravo Nissan, well done!

[/sarcasm]

I think that the truth lies in between the above extremes. Yes, a properly working TCU can be a joy, if you need to remotely start the climate control. Yes, many people have no trouble with the units - even the replacement 3G version. Yes, a malfunctioning TCU can be a PITA to get working properly - some people have given up after several attempts by a dealership to fix the 3G "upgrade" units. The biggest issue is when the "upgraded" TCU refuses to shut down with the car and drains the 12 volt battery.

Thanks for all the comments.
If I have time on my hands I'll look into this deeper. Looking at the Nissan History, the car connected back in May just before it sold. So I assume it was upgraded.

David

alozzy said:
... Verizon will continue to support "the remaining" 3G devices on its network through the end of 2020 ...

... AT&T will shut down its 3G network in early 2022 as the company shifts its focus to 5G implementation ...

Bravo Nissan, well done!

I'm curious now -- are LEAFS subscribed to a particular network, or do they "roam"?

Nubo said:
alozzy said:

Bravo Nissan, well done!

I'm curious now -- are LEAFS subscribed to a particular network, or do they "roam"?

The TCU's have AT&T SIM cards...so they are tied to the AT&T network (in the US).
The Leaf was one of the first mass-produced vehicles to offer telematics...and it's un-reasonable to assume they could predict communications technology almost 10 years into the future (the chip sets weren't even available!). The fact is we are lucky that they have been able to maintain the service--free of charge--for this long.

Geordie said:
Do you know which network they use in Canada?

David

You should add your location in your signature, it really helps everyone give you better information...

I imported a US 2013 LEAF into Canada (Vancouver), which came with the 2G TCU. It worked, intermittently, until 2G went black everywhere. I looked into getting a replacement 3G TCU and was on a wait list for months, only to be told by the Nissan dealership (Jonker, in Surrey BC) that they were not permitted to install replacement TCUs into US LEAFs (Nissan corporate policy prevented it).

I could have gone over into Washington to get the TCU upgraded, but I learned from experience with Nissan EV support that they had no clue about how to deal with a US LEAF in Canada. Total gong show...

Do this Google search, for the many existing posts on people's struggles to get Nissan Connect to work in Canada on US LEAFs:

imported US leaf canada tcu site:mynissanleaf.com

In particular, this long post:

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23248

I updated my location - apologies for that.
The Leaf that I purchased here in PEI came from Ontario. The system showed that it had communicated with Nissan in May 2020.

It shows the symbol that it is receiving a network connection, but I can't connect despite over 30 minutes on the phone with Nissan Connect!

David

2013 Leaf SV

Geordie said:
I updated my location - apologies for that.
The Leaf that I purchased here in PEI came from Ontario. The system showed that it had communicated with Nissan in May 2020.

It shows the symbol that it is receiving a network connection, but I can't connect despite over 30 minutes on the phone with Nissan Connect!

David

2013 Leaf SV

Is your LEAF a Canadian model, or American? If it's Canadian, then it should work, following standard troubleshooting steps found elsewhere in these forums.

If it was built for the US market, then, unless things have recently changed, you'll have a very hard time getting it to work.

The first owner bought it new in Ottawa.

His username will be cancelled by now. I’m wondering if Nissan supply the username and password. The one I use for Nissan Connect doesn’t work.
The car is now registered to my wife after another long call to Nissan.

David

You're lucky it's a Canadian LEAF. Nissan Connect should eventually work, as long as you definitely have a 3G TCU unit.

Back