Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Re: Upgraded the Door Speakers in my Leaf

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Gascant,
I hear what you're saying....I'm okay with the non-premium sound system because I knew I would do some upgrades. I've heard some factory premium sound systems that sounded very nice, and I've also heard some that really weren't worth the money...This way, some people will live with what the Leaf offers, and others like us will upgrade...

Leaf Stereo Phase 2 will be beginning soon for me, as I'm expecting a small subwoofer to come via the brown truck in a day or two... 8-) I'll be sure to post more photos....

Randy

EVDRIVER

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:23 pm

gascant wrote:A bunch of early delivery owners were bemoaning the stereo system a while back--I still think it's a shame that, as quiet as the LEAF is (and I've ridden in it 3 times now), Nissan didn't elect to put in a Bose sound system like the one that's in my wife's Altima Hybrid. Maybe they were trying to save some money? I would gladly have paid for it despite my high frequency hearing loss.
Likely because, the entire control system OS in the radio and Bose does not have the ability to do that type of software integration so they had Clarion use an existing unit with new internal software. I wish they had used a better vendor over Clarion as they have always had a bad rep on audio from day one but they likely fit the bill for the spec. The radio directly controls many car functions directly.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:46 am

EVDRIVER wrote: The radio directly controls many car functions directly.
Thats a scary thought.. what functions evdriver?

Randy

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:24 am

It does control a lot of items in the car. In addition to the standard radio / satellite / CD / iPod / USB functionality, it also interfaces to the backup camera, bluetooth, cell antenna, pedestrian sound system, handsfree functions, charging timer, A/C remote functions, NAV system, plus more...

I'd hate to see what the price is for this unit as a replacement if it breaks down the road....

EVDRIVER

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:07 am

Herm wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote: The radio directly controls many car functions directly.
Thats a scary thought.. what functions evdriver?

Whatever you see on the screens. I'm really surprised how poor the UI works, on a 2005 Acura you can push a steering button and say many commands like "find nearest Chineese Restaurant" and a list pops up and you can select one or call directly from the screen, that works on many verbal commands when driving and it makes finding things VERY easy. In the LEAF you need to stop and use the painful interface that looks like it was pieced together from five different outdated products. Far too many layers to get to the information needed and redundant paths. I also doubt there will be any upgrades to existing units so it will stay this way. I suppose Clarion was the cheapest bidder to slap some software into one of their Euro DD units. I mean really Nissan, an EV with a slow clunky interface in "tech car" and poor audio quality, is this another "ground up" component like the EV conversion heater? Some of the LEAF features were touted as high tech but in reality they are average components pieced together from Clarion and antiquated heating systems used in EV conversions. That's all fine but don't make it seem "ground up" and cutting edge, more like "shelf sideways, vendor modified" :lol:

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Nice mod! After Nissan gets a good feel for the EV market, I'm sure they will provide more audio options.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:02 pm

+10!
EVDRIVER wrote:Whatever you see on the screens. I'm really surprised how poor the UI works, on a 2005 Acura you can push a steering button and say many commands like "find nearest Chineese Restaurant" and a list pops up and you can select one or call directly from the screen, that works on many verbal commands when driving and it makes finding things VERY easy. In the LEAF you need to stop and use the painful interface that looks like it was pieced together from five different outdated products. Far too many layers to get to the information needed and redundant paths. I also doubt there will be any upgrades to existing units so it will stay this way. I suppose Clarion was the cheapest bidder to slap some software into one of their Euro DD units. I mean really Nissan, an EV with a slow clunky interface in "tech car" and poor audio quality, is this another "ground up" component like the EV conversion heater? Some of the LEAF features were touted as high tech but in reality they are average components pieced together from Clarion and antiquated heating systems used in EV conversions. That's all fine but don't make it seem "ground up" and cutting edge, more like "shelf sideways, vendor modified" :lol:
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:31 pm

TRONZ wrote:Nice mod! After Nissan gets a good feel for the EV market, I'm sure they will provide more audio options.
The Nissan engineer I met with also indicated as much when I asked him about it. But he's probably just guessing, like you. :)

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Randy

Re: Door Speakers & Subwoofers in my Leaf

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:35 am

On to Phase 2 of the Leaf speaker improvement - Subwoofer additions

Malcolm and I had a wild Saturday last week and decided to upgrade our Leaf sound systems with some subwoofers at the same time. I'm still trying to talk him into upgrading his door speakers :)

After scoping out the rear, I was determined to get a sub that would ride on the charger "Hump" and somehow use the seat belt hooks on the rear of the seat to anchor it down...We ended up choosing the Bazooka BTA 6250D Series amplified 6 inch sub from Amazon, and then ordered a companion BT6014 non-amplified tube that hooks up to the output of the first one...These subs use speaker connections from the Leaf head unit to get the signal...On to the project....

Randy

Re: Door Speakers & Subwoofers in my Leaf

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:35 am

One of the first things you have to do is disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. We wrapped it in a towel and stashed it to the side.

Then one of the next things we did was to remove the head unit to get at the wiring...Now we know how to do it, but we spent a lot of time making sure that we didn't break or scratch anything!! Just use your fingers to pry it loose from the clips on top and then the clips on bottom. Then unhook the clips in the middle...Having two people actually made it easier with 4 hands and prying power...Whatever we did on one car, we immediately did it on the other car...It is helpful to use a small screwdriver to pop the locking tab on each clip before you can pull it out of the rear of the head unit...

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”