Page 11 of 11

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:25 pm
by mspisars
knightmb wrote:Did you have to change the username that google uses to send to or does it send to the e-mail? I can't seem to get mine to work with either my old username or the new e-mail login that the EV connect uses now.
Yes, I did.
Based on the new username that is on the owners portal.

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:34 am
by DoobeeDude
Just tried to do this again since the switchover. I don't remember what my user name used to be, but I know I use my primary email address now.

Sent to car and changed my car info to use my email address instead, but no luck. Anyone else? Everything else (including the new mobile app) works very well for me.

FYI... it also now just says "Send to Phone", but the car option comes up.

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:12 pm
by knightmb
DoobeeDude wrote:Just tried to do this again since the switchover. I don't remember what my user name used to be, but I know I use my primary email address now.

Sent to car and changed my car info to use my email address instead, but no luck. Anyone else? Everything else (including the new mobile app) works very well for me.

FYI... it also now just says "Send to Phone", but the car option comes up.
You have to add your car first here:
https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar

Then when you do the "send to your phone", your vehicle will be listed along with the phone.

I still can't get it to work on mine, it just gives an error "We couldn’t communicate with your automaker. Please contact them for assistance."

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:31 am
by DoobeeDude
WORKING NOW... see below.

I did add the car, with the new logon. But I believe that is incorrect.

If you go to the new web NissanConnectEV and click on the tab next to "Manage Vehicle" -- it should read "NissanConnectEV (CARWINGS)"

From that tab, you can click "Edit Vehicle" and it will display the NissanConnect EV Send to Google Car Account ID for you. In my case, it was unchanged.

However, my previous "Send to car" from Google Maps still didn't work. So I deleted the new and the old entry and just recreated one from scratch (using the ID from the screen I just mentioned). Viola! Tested and works perfectly again.

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:40 am
by knightmb
DoobeeDude wrote:WORKING NOW... see below.

I did add the car, with the new logon. But I believe that is incorrect.

If you go to the new web NissanConnectEV and click on the tab next to "Manage Vehicle" -- it should read "NissanConnectEV (CARWINGS)"

From that tab, you can click "Edit Vehicle" and it will display the NissanConnect EV Send to Google Car Account ID for you. In my case, it was unchanged.

However, my previous "Send to car" from Google Maps still didn't work. So I deleted the new and the old entry and just recreated one from scratch (using the ID from the screen I just mentioned). Viola! Tested and works perfectly again.
Thanks! That is what my issue was. I was using the login but the send the car was still using my old ID. It works now!

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:47 am
by DoobeeDude
NOT working again now.

Seems like there is still some "wonkiness" out there on this, because I didn't change any GOOGLE or NISSAN settings and it's been "broke" for three days now.

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:04 pm
by Rat
I have found this feature to be hit and miss. It usually works for me, but it seems to depend on the way the destination is characterized in Google Maps and at Nissan. For example, today I tried to send the destination using just the street name. It was a street that was only one block long, so I didn't care about the address. Googel Maps found it just fine and had the link to send to car, but after I clicked it, it cranked away for awhile and then said it was unable to completed the transmission. On a hunch i tried putting in the name of the street and the closest intersecting street. Same result. Then I put in the actual street number and street name and it worked fine. I think the Nissan database is much smaller than Google Maps' database. It can find some intersections, but only relatively major ones. I suspect it can't parse just street name without an address to go with it. So if you have trouble, try entering the data another way.

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:53 am
by DoobeeDude
I haven't bothered to update this thread, but I have found that even when Google "send to car" says there was a problem, it seems that the destination is usually at Nissan ready to be downloaded anyway.

At least that's been the case the past three times.

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:41 am
by Rat
Rat wrote:I have found this feature to be hit and miss. It usually works for me, but it seems to depend on the way the destination is characterized in Google Maps and at Nissan. For example, today I tried to send the destination using just the street name. It was a street that was only one block long, so I didn't care about the address. Googel Maps found it just fine and had the link to send to car, but after I clicked it, it cranked away for awhile and then said it was unable to completed the transmission. On a hunch i tried putting in the name of the street and the closest intersecting street. Same result. Then I put in the actual street number and street name and it worked fine. I think the Nissan database is much smaller than Google Maps' database. It can find some intersections, but only relatively major ones. I suspect it can't parse just street name without an address to go with it. So if you have trouble, try entering the data another way.
I just had the same thing this morning. Google Maps found "DMV Los Gatos" just fine and gave me the link to send to car, but could not complete the send. Then I put in the street address and sent it successfully.

Re: Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 am
by Gnom
Hi everyone, I'm new here so I'm not exactly sure how it is viewed to bump old, but since his one is stickied, figured it would be ok. If not feel free to delete!

So I've been trying to use the send to car function for a few days now on a 2015 Leaf, with no luck so far. I've added it to my google maps account using the username I use to connect to Carwings. It's a username I chose and not assigned letters and digits, which is consistent with what some people report but not with others. In doubt, I also tried with the VIN and email address with the same results: google maps reports that the location has been sent but when connecting in the car I get the following message : « There is no corresponding item ».

I'm not sure what's happening here. The fact that google says the location has been sent in all three settings I tried makes me think that there is no error message that would allow one to see if the sending failed and why. I'm also not sure if the message I get in the car means that there is nothing to be found or that it is not usable. Apart from that, the maps are outdated so I'm also wondering if this could be a factor, but I don't see myself spending 200 euros not knowing if it will solve the issue, knowing that so far I didn't experience changes that made me get lost.

Any thoughts on all that anyone?