How readable is the Nav screen?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walterbays

I couldn't tell from the brief tour "test drive" how readable the map screen would be in everyday use. On my gen2 Prius the screen is a CRT and in bright sunlight it's prone to wash out and be nearly unreadable. This is the time I rely on voice guidance. However handheld GPS units and phones (with LCD screens) seem much more readable in sunlight.

On your Leaf, given whatever type of screen it uses, where it's positioned on the dash, and how it's shaded, are you always able to see it? How does it compare with other built-in and portable GPS units you've used?

Thanks.

walterbays said:
I couldn't tell from the brief tour "test drive" how readable the map screen would be in everyday use. On my gen2 Prius the screen is a CRT and in bright sunlight it's prone to wash out and be nearly unreadable. This is the time I rely on voice guidance. However handheld GPS units and phones (with LCD screens) seem much more readable in sunlight.

On your Leaf, given whatever type of screen it uses, where it's positioned on the dash, and how it's shaded, are you always able to see it? How does it compare with other built-in and portable GPS units you've used?

Thanks.

I can't think of a time that I couldn't read it....even in bright sun. I'm very happy with the display.

Jimmydreams said:
walterbays said:

Thanks.

I can't think of a time that I couldn't read it....even in bright sun. I'm very happy with the display.

+1 Agree strongly. Also, the display brightness can be adjusted and it has day and night settings, which both are very readable.

Strange - I've never ever had a problem reading the nav on the Civic Hybrid.

I always thought the Civic was the better built (more solid - better interior designed car) than the Prius. But the Prius has the better Hyrbid technology.

The main reason we went with the Civic in lieu of the Prius was that my wife (6 foot) couldn't sit in the back seat and the roof slopes. Glad that's not an issue in the Leaf. (wasn't in the Civic either)

If the sun is behind the passenger window at just the wrong angle you can end up just seeing glare, but that is a rare situation. Most of the time it is plenty visible.

TEG said:
If the sun is behind the passenger window at just the wrong angle you can end up just seeing glare, but that is a rare situation. Most of the time it is plenty visible.

Well, rare until the seasons shift and the time of day of your commute home coincides with the sun angle through that passenger window. I think I am doomed to a few months of this now:
glare1.jpg

I seem to frequently have issues with being able to see it well and have considered slipping a "visor" into the crack around it. I also can't quite figure out the "tilt" function's purpose... I'd want it to tilt down to self shade, not up.

Electric4Me said:
I also can't quite figure out the "tilt" function's purpose... I'd want it to tilt down to self shade, not up.
Bill, if you haven't tried it yet, press and hold the tilt button for about 2 seconds and release. The entire screen will tilt slightly. You must go through all 3 (or however many) positions to return to vertical by repeating the press and hold for 2 seconds routine. Sometimes this can reduce the glare such as that seen on the photo above.

I get glare all the time. The tilt up function doesn't help. It needs to tilt down and a visor would be nice. This morning the glare was from the upper right of the windshield. Maybe I could get a sunbrella for the whole car.

-Rick

I have never had glare be an issue in a year of driving. I do have a light tint on the front side windows though, so maybe that helps...

rickrides said:
I get glare all the time. The tilt up function doesn't help. It needs to tilt down and a visor would be nice. This morning the glare was from the upper right of the windshield. Maybe I could get a sunbrella for the whole car.

TomT said:
I have never had glare be an issue in a year of driving. I do have a light tint on the front side windows though, so maybe that helps...

I grew up in "the valley", maybe the smog blocks more sun than here. No, really I think my old eyes are more sensitive to glare and I wear polarized prescription sun glasses to drive. I might look in to a slight tint on the front side windows and a little darker on the back.

any sun on the screen issues is highly dependent on your location and time of day. the farther North you are, the lower the arc of the Sun so ya, you can get pretty impossible screen readability in WA at the right time driving in the right (or wrong??) direction that screen tilt will not fix whether its tilting up or down

Back