That Voice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcesare

Anyway to change the voice? For some reason I find it more tolerable if an Australian accent mispronouces "La Jolla" rather than an American.

A friend of mine, trying to drive to La Jolla from LA, wound up in downtown San Diego instead. She had been looking for the "La Hoya" sign.

You should hear the nav lady say "Cupertino".

I'm not a native Spanish speaker, nor am I from LA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but "La Jolla" *is* pronounced "La Hoya", is it not?

GeekEV said:
I'm not a native Spanish speaker, nor am I from LA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but "La Jolla" *is* pronounced "La Hoya", is it not?
Yup. But the friend may have not known that ... when hearing "La Hoya" to look for street signs spelled "La Jolla" ... kind of like the guy who couldn't find Valley Joe in NorCal :eek:

I look forward to hearing it pronounce Puyallup, WA (pew - al' -up), or places like Dubois, WY (dew - boys) :lol: :lol:

I like her voice and wouldn't change anything about her. We call her "Evie".

She surprised us when she correctly pronounced a road near us: Tanque Verde Road.
She said it better than I do!! She must have had some lessons.

Did you know that if you are receiving a phone call and press the "hold" button on the nav screen, that Evie's voice asked the caller to please remain on the line and hold? That's one helpful lady!!!! ;)

Azrich said:
I like her voice and wouldn't change anything about her. We call her "Evie".

She surprised us when she correctly pronounced a road near us: Tanque Verde Road.
She said it better than I do!! She must have had some lessons.

Did you know that if you are receiving a phone call and press the "hold" button on the nav screen, that Evie's voice asked the caller to please remain on the line and hold? That's one helpful lady!!!! ;)
Does it play Musak too?

Azrich said:
That is cool! I must remember to put people on hold when I get my LEAF!

Azrich said:

Cool! You should put that in the 'Tips and Tricks' thread.

the pronunciation is very comical. most of the place names around here are Indian based. but it does not recognize the basics either...

stuff like "3rd ave se" is prononced "third ahvee see"

it does not say "washington" for WA. as far as smartness, it is not. it simply sounds out exactly what it sees with no interpretation.

the difference between Google Maps on my Android and the Nav is like...the difference between a Palm Centro and a 4G android!! iow, its hard to look at both being smartphones!

the only functionality for the NAV is the ability to send locations to car. unfortunately cant do it from my phone. my phone is completely voice controlled so i can do that easily while driving. so now u know how i get around. its easily since the voice from phone does play over the audio in the car.

I've read the Leaf Nav booklet several times, but can't figure out how to stop this lady from talking. On my Prius, when I no longer want navigation guidance to a selected destination, I simply push the talk switch and say: "suspend navigation". How do I do that with the Leaf? Or, do I have to push a bunch of buttons (Menu, Route, etc etc). I'm technologically challenged, so I apologize in advance for such a mundane question. :oops:

derkraut said:
I've read the Leaf Nav booklet several times, but can't figure out how to stop this lady from talking. On my Prius, when I no longer want navigation guidance to a selected destination, I simply push the talk switch and say: "suspend navigation". How do I do that with the Leaf? Or, do I have to push a bunch of buttons (Menu, Route, etc etc). I'm technologically challenged, so I apologize in advance for such a mundane question. :oops:

good ask, sir.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Menu....route.....cancel

Thank you Dave. So, I can't use the voice to suspend guidance. From what I've learned so far, the Prius Nav is far superior to this one. Anyway, with the limited range of the Leaf, I don't expect to be using the Navigation feature very frequently.

If you want guidance (or just an idea when you will arrive, taking in to account traffic for XM), you can navigate to Voice Guidance and turn it off. It will still guide, bing at the turn points if you have that turned on, but will not say anything.

derkraut said:

I think all nav systems have drawbacks. The angled birds eye view the Leaf offers is sorely missed on the Prius.

Its great in unfamiliar congested areas

Back