USB Port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msusser

I search this area and did not find any discussion about this..

Is it me , or does the Leaf not recognize m4a files via a flash drive (via usb port)??

Speaking of USB ports, I found out today that the one in the Leaf is a standard 5W output, and won't charge the ipad. Does anyone know of a way to mod it to output 10W? Or maybe use a USB hub that powered by the 12V socket?

I've bought a 10W USB adapter for the 12V socket, but that doesn't let me use the built-in USB functionality...

Bill

lemketron said:
Wow, that is unfortunate! Interesting they have better bluetooth support than most but can't play AAC files? :-(
I wonder if it has to do with the Microsoft OS that the head unit allegedly runs...? :)

Electric4Me said:
Speaking of USB ports, I found out today that the one in the Leaf is a standard 5W output, and won't charge the ipad. Does anyone know of a way to mod it to output 10W? Or maybe use a USB hub that powered by the 12V socket?

I've bought a 10W USB adapter for the 12V socket, but that doesn't let me use the built-in USB functionality...
Right. Unfortunately, we have to choose between USB mode and 1A charging. On the plus side, if you're using an iDevice with OS 5.x, the Bluetooth audio is nearly indistinguishable from USB mode, so you can opt for 1A charging and still play music over Bluetooth.

lemketron said:
Right. Unfortunately, we have to choose between USB mode and 1A charging. On the plus side, if you're using an iDevice with OS 5.x, the Bluetooth audio is nearly indistinguishable from USB mode, so you can opt for 1A charging and still play music over Bluetooth.

True! Until you said it, I didn't realize that the ipad even had bluetooth! :lol: Just a correction though, the standard USB current is 1A, and the high power ones (required to charge the ipad) is 2A.

Bill

Electric4Me said:
...Just a correction though, the standard USB current is 1A, and the high power ones (required to charge the ipad) is 2A.
The USB 2.0 spec only supports up to 500mA. Lower-power ports may provide as little as 100mA.

DeaneG said:
Electric4Me said:
...Just a correction though, the standard USB current is 1A, and the high power ones (required to charge the ipad) is 2A.
The USB 2.0 spec only supports up to 500mA. Lower-power ports may provide as little as 100mA.
Aaaahhh... I see that you're correct. (confirmed here)
I was mislead by the supplied charger, and the 12V Griffin adapter I just bought, both of which are 2A. I assumed that was what was referred to as "high power" USB current.

Thanks!

Electric4Me said:

Bill
There are a few possible solutions.

One way is to simply buy a USB hub that has an AC adapter. You won't be using the AC adapter, but where the AC adapter would plug in to it you can instead plug in your 12V USB adapter. You'll likely have to replace the plug on your 12V adapter so it will plug into the USB hub.

For those who have no technical know-how, a tiny inverter can be used to supply 120V power to run a regular powered USB hub. Of course this isn't very efficient.

The third option is by far the easiest and most elegant, but I'm really not sure if it would work or not. I guess the only way to know is to try it out. Get a USB Y adapter cord, plug one end in to the USB plug in the car, plug the other end into the ipad, and plug the third end into your USB adapter. Hopefully it will work and you won't burn out something!
Here's a link to a Y cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-POWER-DATA-CABLE-MALE-Y-MALE-AND-FEMALE-BLACK-/300452151204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do NOT (repeat, NOT) just "try" the third option.

You could easily "zap" (ruin) your USB port, unless you have
specific engineering specs that say it is OK to do such a thing.

First, there is no such thing as a USB Y adapter and if you happen to find one be wary of it. USB means Universal Serial Bus--"serial" meaning it cannot be split without a hub. (Okay, there are some special Y-like cords for external drives where one grabs additional power but no one has ever made one for iPad AFAIK and it may not even be possible).

Here are some options for you.

OPTION 1: You CAN charge iPad on a standard USB port. The caveat is the screen has to be off. With the screen off you have a net power gain and the iPad will charge slowly. Even with the screen on you may gain more battery time but I am not sure as I have never measured it. (The iPad has a 10 hour battery life--more than sufficient for most trips!) So if you just want the iPad charging while playing music controlled from the Leaf, but otherwise not in use, this option should work.

OPTION 2: Charge from the 12V while playing music through the headphone audio jack connected to the AUX port on the Leaf. You cannot browse music from the Leaf this way.

OPTION 3: Bluetooth audio? I know this works on iPhone, never tried iPad. I think you would have to pair them then you could play over the air and charge at the same time. BT audio gives you some additional controls over the AUX jack but still no browsing. Also may constrain BT phone abilities. Again, haven't tried this so it's just an idea.

If someone wants to use the iPad (your passenger, not you hopefully) AND charge it AND have the data connection I don't think it can be done.

Back