Phone Button on Steering Wheel Activates Horn?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baumgrenze

Since our taking delivery in early December 2011, my wife has twice answered cell phone calls using the button on the steering wheel. Each time, the horn beeped when she pushed the button. The phone worked, but the horn is startling to the driver and others in the vicinity. Is this experience unique to our car?

When I first got my car the horn beeped every time I tried to change a radio station, and sometimes when I tried to turn on or deactivate cruise control. After a couple of months it stopped doing that. I tell myself that the car got to know me better, but I guess it's possible that I ... No, I refuse to believe that.

[I wouldn't know about the Range or Phone or Talk or Cancel buttons, because I've never used any of those.]

Ray

Nissan mounts the buttons on the horn pad so there isn't any big ugly gap between the controls and the horn pad. Other makers do the same thing, Mercedes Benz comes to mind as one of them.

You're driving an EV. Chill out and stop taking out your aggression while driving. :lol:

You can honk the horn with just a very light touch on the extreme left and right edges of the center pad, which edges are in the way of the phone/radio/cruise control etc. controls. Is there any possibility at all that such was what happened?
IMAG0298a.jpg

I honked the horn the first couple times I tried the handsfree phone button, but I think I've gotten better at it. Seems to require a very light touch... I wonder how many times Agent Dunham (Fringe placement) had to do it to get it right?

Do you guys have club hands? The issue is when honking the horn the stupid source button sticks out. What is the point of a recessed hole for the selector if it sticks out. Nissan has some really bad designers.

Back