Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Re: How to play music on a USB stick in the Leaf

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:45 pm

DeaneG wrote: Prefix each album subfolder name with a short version of the artist's name. Then all of an artists's albums will appear adjacent to each other on the Leaf's screen...
Yeah, that's the plan, I was just hoping that I missed something and there is an easy way to group by artist as all normal MP3 players allow you to. USB playback in our cars is pretty lame IMO, but better that than none at all.

Arvind
Delivery Date: 08 May 2013

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:18 am

In random mode, to skip current song and go to the next random song:

Press "mode", "1 track repeat", "random"

Annoying, but works.

Anyone notice the random function often repeats the same song a few minutes later? Truly annoying.
---
Ocean Blue Leaf SV 2013

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Arvind wrote:Anyone notice the random function often repeats the same song a few minutes later? Truly annoying.
Actually, no, that hasn't happened to me, although I have sort of been expecting it. I am irritated like others here that if you just hit the next track button or lever in All Random mode it goes to the next track in the folder, not random. The way I have usually dealt with it is to just hit the button for another folder, for example, switching from Classical to Rock. That doesn't change out of All Random mode, but the problem with that is it doesn't automatically select a random song with the Rock folder, it always goes to the first song in the folder. It always chooses the first one alphabetically, although I don't know whether that's because alphabetical order is the default or because I happened to have copied a whole folder of mixed tracks from my computer onto the USB drive in alphabetical order. I'm too lazy to do an experiment. Does anyone know the answer to that?
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

Arvind
Delivery Date: 08 May 2013

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:15 pm

I have been listening to songs from a USB stick > 60 mins every weekday for about two months. The songs are in folders, one per album. The random function SUCKS. It repeats certain tracks while ignoring others. And there is no easy way to skip a song and go to the next random song.
---
Ocean Blue Leaf SV 2013

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 pm

I know it's not an ideal solution, and involves a lot of work, but one option is to copy all your favorite songs from a lot of different artists or albums into large folders and sort that folder on a somewhat random basis (e.g. by size of the file, or whether it is mp3 or wma) then copying to the USB stick in that order and then playing the folder in straight order. It's not truly random, but at least you will get every song. There are also programs that allow you to create playlists, selecting songs in whatever order you want from different folders. That's more work, but you can use those.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

Spacep0d
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2019
Leaf Number: 309151

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:50 am

Rat wrote:I know it's not an ideal solution, and involves a lot of work, but one option is to copy all your favorite songs from a lot of different artists or albums into large folders and sort that folder on a somewhat random basis (e.g. by size of the file, or whether it is mp3 or wma) then copying to the USB stick in that order and then playing the folder in straight order. It's not truly random, but at least you will get every song. There are also programs that allow you to create playlists, selecting songs in whatever order you want from different folders. That's more work, but you can use those.
I know this is an old thread, but I was having trouble playing MP3 files from a USB thumb drive in a 2018 LEAF. I got it working. Turns out that my older 4GB drive is not recognized by the LEAF, which I believe is USB 2 (formatted as FAT32, default format option). My newer USB 3 thumb-drive did work just fine.

Also, be careful about how you organize songs. It'll play them in the order they were in when copied, whether you sorted by name over track order. If you sort by track order and then copy, the songs are in the expected album order. When sorted by name, you get some variants of the song playing together, along with songs later in an album which may not be as good (not to mention breaking the flow of the album as designed by the band and producers).

So, if you're gonna pick up a little USB drive for MP3 files, get a USB drive and format it as FAT32 before copying music.

The tips about file/folder naming here are good and I used those. Thanks!
--
2018 Nissan LEAF S
^My First EV!

Leafboy
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5721

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Put your songs in file folders on the USB drive. Put the songs in the related file folders and then you can choose the folders to play the songs you want.
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
Longest continously owned Leaf in Georgia.
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.
Additional upgrades: Horn upgrade, pedestrian warning bell.

RustyShackleford
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2018

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:43 pm

Just to get started, I formatted a USB stick on my Mac, FAT32, and loaded one album as a single folder containing the songs. From Terminal I ran dot_clean within the folder and it got rid of all the extraneous files; did it on the top level and a lot of dot stuff remains. Tried it with 2GB and 32GB sticks. In every case, the Leaf's audio system says it can't find the USB drive or sometimes it says it's trying to read it (dot, dot, dot) but never does. Further pointers ? Thanks.
2018 Nissan Leaf SV
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

RustyShackleford
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2018

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:47 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:Just to get started, I formatted a USB stick on my Mac, FAT32, and loaded one album as a single folder containing the songs. From Terminal I ran dot_clean within the folder and it got rid of all the extraneous files; did it on the top level and a lot of dot stuff remains. Tried it with 2GB and 32GB sticks. In every case, the Leaf's audio system says it can't find the USB drive or sometimes it says it's trying to read it (dot, dot, dot) but never does. Further pointers ? Thanks.
Turns out, when formatting the drive on my Mac (using Disk Utility and the "Erase" button) not only do you need to select MS-DOS (FAT) as the format, you also need to select "Master Boot Record" as the "Scheme". This is on my ElCapitan machine. On my HighSierra machine, Disk Utility does not give you this second Erase option, and when I formatted there it did not work.
Last edited by RustyShackleford on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Nissan Leaf SV
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 am

I really think that the usb is made to just control an ipod or iphone. I have had very good luck with a large Ipod left connected and in the glove box. It turns on when i turn on the radio and has been flawless for 6 months////

The trick is to get a good Ipod or iphone to dedicate to the sound system.. I have a 160 GB Ipod classic and it holds almost 20,000 songs in my glove compartment...

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”