RustyShackleford
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2018

Re: How to play music on a USB stick in the Leaf

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 am

powersurge wrote:I really think that the usb is made to just control an ipod or iphone. I have had very good luck with a large Ipod left connected and in the glove box. It turns on when i turn on the radio and has been flawless for 6 months////
Yeah, that's what I do in my Subaru (and take for rental cars). Only thing is, I think the iPod/iPhone navigation (of the music) is a lot better than car radios tend to do, so I plug iPod into aux-input jack and USB into a cigarette-lighter adapter (instead of the USB port) so the car radio won't try to take over navigation.

The USB stick is working quite well in the Leaf now, except of course only one level of heirarchy. But maybe I'll try to find a good used iPod for it too.
2018 Nissan Leaf SV
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 am

RustyShackleford wrote:
powersurge wrote:I really think that the usb is made to just control an ipod or iphone. I have had very good luck with a large Ipod left connected and in the glove box. It turns on when i turn on the radio and has been flawless for 6 months////
Yeah, that's what I do in my Subaru (and take for rental cars). Only thing is, I think the iPod/iPhone navigation (of the music) is a lot better than car radios tend to do, so I plug iPod into aux-input jack and USB into a cigarette-lighter adapter (instead of the USB port) so the car radio won't try to take over navigation.

The USB stick is working quite well in the Leaf now, except of course only one level of hierarchy. But maybe I'll try to find a good used iPod for it too.
I started by trying the AUX cable, and it worked fine, but then you need to connect the power cable (at the USB), AND the AUX cable. Also you have to disconnect the system for each trip. Also, you need to manually adjust the volume and change songs, which is unsafe.

I have the S version of the radio, and the navigation is great on the radio screen, and I control everything from the steering wheel.. Best part is that I NEVER touch the Ipod. It stays safe in my glove compartment....

RustyShackleford
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2018

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 am

powersurge wrote: I have the S version of the radio, and the navigation is great on the radio screen, and I control everything from the steering wheel.. Best part is that I NEVER touch the Ipod. It stays safe in my glove compartment....
If you're using an iPod instead of a memory stick. do you get more than one level of heirarchy (so you can have a folder for each artist and subfolders for each of their albums) ?
2018 Nissan Leaf SV
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 am

Yes, I can sort by artist, album, and i think even genre.. The nissan screen looks like the ipod screen. I just use the song shuffle mode...

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”