Window Tinting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KillaWhat said:
Hi;I know we East Coast guys are lagging behind a bit, having just gotten our cars, but we are doing our best to catch up.
Got the windows tinted (finally) on my Super Black.
Wow the tint looks great with your super black car - I see that you've done the leather upgrade too; did you do it locally or did you get a kit? Many of us in SoCal got ours done with Tony from Skyline here and I understand he's making kits (sorta) too now. Have you put up photos? Samples of the Skyline install

I bought a kit from leatherseats.com.
They custom made an ALL leather setup for me.
I was unaware that leather seats are rarely all leather, but leather seating surfaces.
Theae guys didn't bat an eye when I wanted ALL leather.
They said I could specify which additional parts I wanted, but I went with all.

Had an old respected local shop put it on.
Gave them fits, as ALL leather is hard to put on because leather doesn't stretch like Vinyl.

Turned out amazing, all buttery soft.
If it's my daily driver, I don't want to have to say to people "yes it's great, just ignore the dirty upholstery made out of recycled milk containers"
Now its all leather and wood, great sound, and well tinted.
If I just had a Leaf-Scan.......... :roll:

Got around to tinting the windows yesterday. Went with TW Tinting in Santa Ana as they do Ceramic and also offered me there shop Scion as a loaner to run some errands. They also have decent waiting area couch if you feel like hanging out for a few hours. Dropped off the LEAF at 9am sharp and picked it up at 11:30am. Looks Awesome!

Went with 20% all around. I wanted a uniform look on the side glass to better tie all the seperate panels together. Really worked! Now looks like one piece of glass which is what I wanted so very happy. The Ceramic looks moderate in darkness to the cheaper Charcool film (their indoor display) but damn does it block heat well! Kids are in heaven now and worth every penny of $350. Highly recommend.

I put metallic tint on my back and side windows with great results. When I tried putting ceramic tint on my windshield a week later the car would not turn off when I got home. I took the car back to the dealer where we took off the windshield tint and had to reset 16 codes. Didn't make a bit of sense to me. I would have never expected the ceramic tint to cause an issue.

I have ceramic tint on my windshield down to the AS1 line and have never had a problem. I suspect it was something other than the tint...

tonymyers said:
I put metallic tint on my back and side windows with great results. When I tried putting ceramic tint on my windshield a week later the car would not turn off when I got home. I took the car back to the dealer where we took off the windshield tint and had to reset 16 codes. Didn't make a bit of sense to me. I would have never expected the ceramic tint to cause an issue.

tonymyers said:

I recall seeing a post about someone having the same problem turning the car off; it ended up being the excess liquid that dripped by the firewall and did something to the electronics. They had the codes reset and waited until the water evaporated.

amtoro said:
tonymyers said:

I recall seeing a post about someone having the same problem turning the car off; it ended up being the excess liquid that dripped by the firewall and did something to the electronics. They had the codes reset and waited until the water evaporated.

Seems a more likely explanation.

tint.jpg

Front windshield: Untouched
Front quarter glass: 20%
Front door windows: 20%
Rear door windows: 5%
Rear door quarter glass: 5%
Rear window: 5%

Cop magnet. Looks great though.

Had my Leaf for a little over two weeks now and am really enjoying it. Today had Madico Onyx (metalized) tint put on as on a previous car... 35% all around. Nav, FM, XM, keyless, mobile inside car, CarWings data are all fine. Judging from the the parts diagram of the GPS antenna, it's up by the base of the windshield so I wasn't too worried. Now I just need my plates and HOV stickers...

johnr said:
csriram45 said:
How much did it cost you to get this done? Also, I thought you could not do that dark (5%?) in CA. What is the legal and darkest I can go in the front and back in CA? I am in SF Bay Area.

Also, what about the Windshield top tint?

Tks
In CA, you can go up to 30% for the front side windows, and as dark as you like for the rest. The top 4 inches of the windshield may be tinted.

http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/CA/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I´m sorry to bump pretty old thread but I cannot keep this without update (for anyone in need of relevant info). That site above has tons of inaccurate information. Check out http://windowtintlaws.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

deadlyhan said:
That site above has tons of inaccurate information. Check out http://windowtintlaws.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This site is inaccurate as well. It states that in Arizona rear windows cannot have tint darker than 35%. AZ statute only says that for the front side windows.

If your are opting for window tinting, 35% on the front side windows and 20% for the rest is legal.
Window tinting helps in reducing harmful UV rays and protects from high glare.
More information- http://tint-shop.com.my/products-overview.php

For California folks, if you want to know what the law says regarding vision obstruction (to include window tint), look up California Vehicle Code section 26708. That is the section you will be cited for if you have illegal tint, or have other unacceptable obstructions to the driver's field of view (like objects dangling from the rear view mirror).

KatherineAllen said:
If your are opting for window tinting, 35% on the front side windows and 20% for the rest is legal.
Window tinting helps in reducing harmful UV rays and protects from high glare.
More information- http://tint-shop.com.my/products-overview.php

What is legal where you are is not necessarily legal elsewhere. For example, in the United States, window tint laws are not consistent from state to state.

Laws and regulation around car tinting and window films on cars varies from country to country.Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In MALAYSIA, this percentage refer to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.Tint is allowed along the top of the windshield , not exceding 20% of th size of the windshield.

Front Side Windows
Must allow more than 70% of light in.

Side Windows
Must allow more than 50% of light in.

Rear Window
Must allow more than 50% of light in.

MATERIALS THAT SHOULD NOT BE FITTED IN MOTOR VEHICLES
*APPLIES TO ALL WINDOWS AND REAR WINDSCREEN
For knowing more about suitable window film please visit :http://solargard.com.my/pro-automotive.html

I seriosuly had no idea that tinting my windows on my lead would turn out this good. I'm going to get mine tinted this weekend. Has anyone heard anything about http://www.orlandocustomwindowtinting.com

Skywagon said:
I already tinted my windows and the look is great as it blends the windows in with the trim around them. I would suggest doing darker than you normally would as the interior is very light in color (and the windshield is large) and it will not be as dark as you think... as in 18% all around...

5354801748_ced1f52df0_b.jpg

5354179911_9fcc28fe4f_b.jpg

5354193511_6a9140e527_b.jpg

Also, on the cloudy and bubbly comment... if you go with a good film you will not have a problem. I have had 10 year old cars with tint that still looked perfect. Plus the better films come with warranties against those issues.

As mentioned window tinting varies by state but IMO I'd never really want to go any darker than 35% for the driver/passenger windows and maybe 20% for the rear windows. I had 20% all around and I just didn't feel safe driving at night, way too dark looking out the side windows. Note in my state nothing darker than 50% is legal but if you've ever seen a car with 50% tint you may not even notice it's tinted, 35% starts looking tinted and 20% or darker looks like limo tint.
Back in the day 3M was the best window tint for scratch resistance, they may have better tint now days but I'd avoid cheap tint like the plague, unless you like lots of scratches/bubbles on your tint :lol:

Nice. Looks similar to ours. Went with 35% Rayno Phantom S7 tint from Eclipse Tinting in Lafayette, CO. The Rayno Phatom line is a combination carbon/ceramic tint that blocks IR efficiently regardless of tint darkness.

State minimum for passing visible light is 30%, went a little lighter to help with seeing at night.

denwood said:
2018 LEAF SL (Scarlet Ember) with 20% tint:

That's a really nice pairing with the red. Looks good by the water too, those are sharp photos. :)

Would you mind sharing what wind deflectors you have installed? They look different than others I've seen.

Back