hbquikcomjamesl
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2020

Re: Anybody ever heard of "EZ Spare"

Mon May 17, 2021 8:40 am

I've now built a plywood trunk rack, and it's in primer, with bolt holes drilled (but not yet countersunk) to bolt it down where the silly little hook for the bottom of the portable charger bag had been bolted.
trunk rack in primer by James Lampert, on Flickr

The portable charger bag will go on the left side of the partition, and the donut (EZ Spare or otherwise) will hang on the right side.

Monday evening: countersunk the bolt-holes (having picked up some black-finished 6mm flathead Allen screws at McFadden-Dale on my lunch break), and then spot-primed them, and then shot a thin second coat of primer on the underside, to seal the dust from sanding the first coat.

Applied the first finish coat after dinner.

Also applied touch-up paint (now that I have some) to the hole I'd drilled for my "Flap Ajar" indicator wire. With 2 coats of cold-galv and a coat of touch-up paint, that hole is an extremely tight fit on my homemade grommet. Also put a coat of touch-up paint on the Gorilla Tape holding the wire as it passes through the door jamb.

Wed., 5/19/2021:
The trunk rack now has its second finish coat. Still looks like painted plywood, but it looks much better now. Third coat Friday evening. Another picture when it's installed (probably not until Sunday afternoon). No actual hanger for the spare until I have a spare to hang on it, though, since that will have to be designed around the spare itself, with both the spare and the rack actually in the trunk.
--
James H. H. Lampert

hbquikcomjamesl

Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 am

The trunk rack is now installed. Both bolt-holes lined up perfectly. Once I have a donut, I'll be able to make a hanger for it, and bolt it to the upright.

Two coats of primer and four coats of paint.

trunk rack installed 1 by James Lampert, on Flickr

trunk rack installed 2 by James Lampert, on Flickr
--
James H. H. Lampert

hbquikcomjamesl

Fri May 28, 2021 7:02 pm

The car no longer smells like latex paint fumes, so I would imagine the four coats on the rack are now cured.

I ordered myself a jack, 2 pair of wheel chocks, and some grip clips to secure my lug wrench (and maybe the jack handle) to the rack.

Then, after due deliberation and diligence, and verifying that the appropriate mounting hardware for the vehicle does indeed come with the EZ Spare donut, I ordered one.
--
James H. H. Lampert

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri May 28, 2021 7:41 pm

If, like me, you are bothered by the smell of rubber, you may want to make or buy a plastic cover or bag for the spare itself.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

hbquikcomjamesl

Fri May 28, 2021 8:17 pm

That, of course, depends on how much it outgasses, and for how long.

The paint fumes were pretty thick, that first day. But they tapered off. And the plasticizers found in "the hyde of a nauga" could be worse than the rubber.
--
James H. H. Lampert

hbquikcomjamesl

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:08 pm

It arrived today (after UPS had lost track of it for a few days). Too late for me to test-install it on my lunch break.
EZspare-1 by James Lampert, on Flickr

I was pleasantly surprised: it came with a canvas carry-bag. And the fittings to customize it to a specific lug pattern and hub profile are pre-installed, and unlikely to fall off spontaneously.

If it actually works as advertised, it's a tremendous piece of engineering.
--
James H. H. Lampert

hbquikcomjamesl

EZ-Spare test results are in!

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:29 pm

IT WORKS!
EZspare-2 by James Lampert, on Flickr
I tried it on starboard rear and starboard front, on my lunch break today, driving around the parking lot both times. It performed as advertised, and was not difficult to mount.
--
James H. H. Lampert

Return to “Accessories / Mods”