Easy Climate Control Fan-Only Solution - 5 cents, 5 mins

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gtsrola was referring to the photos on the first page of this same thread we are on:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11412#p263356

You could just link directly to the Wayback Machine image URLs, such as this one:

2mwyo35.jpg

However, they aren't kept forever either...

alozzy said:
The Wayback Machine to the rescue!

https://web.archive.org/web/20160512142257/https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11412

Perhaps a moderator could edit the original post to link to the same images hosted elsewhere, although that would take a bit of work...

Done.

Hi everyone,

This old thread has been very educational, and helped be configure the heater in my newly acquired 2011 Nissan Leaf. I followed the "de luxe" option 3 instructions and with less than $10 in components, and about 1.5 hr for soldering, I now can control the heater with the AC button.

Here are a couple of notes that may be useful for anyone trying to do this:

1. Make sure that the MOSFET you choose actually triggers at the voltage produced by the voltage divider. The original schematics called for a 1N7000 MOSFET, which I could not find. I used a 2N7000 MOSFET instead, sourced from Amazon. This particular device, requires at least 3V at the gate to operate as a switch. The schematic created by BetterLeaf, calls for a 220kOhm resistor to ground at the voltage divider, dropping the voltage by x10 to about 1.2V at the gate and therefore fails to switch the 2N7000. In my second attempt, I paid closer attention to the parameters, and I used a 1MOhm resistor for this part. Now the divider produces 1/3*12V=4V at the gate, and nicely triggers the MOSFET, thereby showing 330Ohm to ground, to pin #37.

2. The space on the front of the PCB is really very small for all the components. There is very little room for extra long leads, so please plan accordingly. Before your final soldering, test to see if the PCB will still drop-fit in its case, and if the buttons can be pressed freely.

3. For safety, please make sure that you use the large 1MOhm resistors at the RC circuit + voltage divider side. Applying 12V directly to a MOSFET gate without any resistor, will result in smoke and risk very expensive damage within 1-2 minutes.

Otherwise it is a great and very simple modification, that brings some sense back to the ventilation system for the early Leaf (ZE0).

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread!

Arion._

achatzii said:
This old thread has been very educational, and helped be configure the heater in my newly acquired 2011 Nissan Leaf.
Yes, it helped me tremendously as well. I'm saddened to see that many of the images are taken hostage, but I note that you can still see them in this archive.org site:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160731233155/https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11412

[ Edit: Heh! I see I had the same problem as you, and ended up with the same solution (use two 1M resistors). ]

2. The space on the front of the PCB is really very small for all the components. There is very little room for extra long leads, so please plan accordingly. Before your final soldering, test to see if the PCB will still drop-fit in its case, and if the buttons can be pressed freely.
Yes I made some notes about "keep-out zones" here: https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6168

Dang! I see that one of the images that I linked to is missing. I'll go fix that soon. [ Edit: fixed. ]

3. For safety, please make sure that you use the large 1MOhm resistors at the RC circuit + voltage divider side. Applying 12V directly to a MOSFET gate without any resistor, will result in smoke and risk very expensive damage within 1-2 minutes.
I think the resistive divider is there more to work with the RC delay circuit that integrates the PWM signal. You want to stay away from the peaks and troughs of the integrated square wave.

Insert into Connector: i'll take option 1 for 100 Ohms.

Inserted the resistor into the connector. With the leads bent over double it fills the sockets and sits down low, then covered it with some orange electrical tape. No tools were needed.

My old skin is so thin now that it will bruise and bleed at the least impact, so i moved the little fuse box that is behind and above the battery to allow more access (just a little plastic tab holds it to the metal bracket). Also loosened the black plastic hose clips that hold the two hoses above and below the Tee fitting (simple plastic clip that will sprung open with a thumbnail).

Now the hose, tee and sensor could be moved and held for easier access to the connector. There is a plastic hook inside the connector that is released by squeezing a plastic tab between thumb and forefinger. This tab is located on the connector end where the wires exit, on the underside where you absolutely can't see or touch it without loosening the hoses and twisting them to view that end. Now that i know where and how it releases, it is super easy, but when you can't see or feel where you need to press, the squeeze release is difficult to achieve.

Hopefully this will eliminate the phantom Climate Control Power usage i see on the Energy Info screen when i just want to run the fan. i can average 4.8 to 5.0 miles per kwh with the heater off.

Method 3: A/C switch also switches heater.

Now this is the deluxe method. If the A/C light is on, the climate control behaves normally.
But if the A/C light is off, then the heater will never be turned on.
Note that regardless of the manual A/C setting, whenever you preheat your car with the climate control timer, the A/C light always comes on. So preheating always works without manual intervention.

You need any N-Channel MOSFET (1N7000 or BS170, ...),
any diode (1N4148, 1N4001, ... a Schottky diode would be even better),
one 100nF capacitor,
two 1 MOhm,
a 330 Ohm,
a 220K resister,
and some 32AWG magnet wire (aka 0.2mm enameled copper wire).

Please make sure that the car is unplugged and turned off.

Do not turn on the car while any of the connectors are unplugged.

Remove the cover of the climate control unit in the center console. There are no tools required. It may be a good idea to put a blanket over the cup holders and drive selector.

If you have the service manual this is on page IP-18 removal instructions for "cluster lid C".
Or follow this installation video provided by Ingineer.

Also remove the climate control unit.

2nkuko8.jpg

Flip it over and remove the 6 PH screws:

2a8i7ix.jpg

Remove the back cover:

av6lfo.jpg

Grab the PCB by the white M50 connector and just take it out. There are no further screws or clips. This is also a safe procedure as the climate control buttons in the case are secured, they will not fall out.

25zni3k.jpg

In the upper left corner you will see the solder side of the M50 connector.
LED5 is the A/C light. The LED6 is in parallel. It is not populated, so it's pads are free and closer to the connector. Very convenient.

The left pad of LED6 is connected to ground by a transistor whenever the LED is turned on. If the LED is off you will get 12 Volts thru the resistor and LED.

Pin 10 and 30 are the ground pins. Pin 37 is the heating fluid temperature sensor input.

wmfm36.jpg

You can use double sided tape to secure the MOSFET, here a 1N7000 in a TO-92 package, and the capacitor. The rest is just soldered on the fly like that.

If you use another MOSFET it may have a different pin-out. The picture below indicates Source, Drain, and the Gate.
Please note that the front cover with the button does have very close contact to the PCB around all the buttons and LEDS. Do not place any components below the MOSFET. There is lots of head room above the connector. Always make sure that the front cover still fits over the board!
This is also the reason why magnet wire is required. This has to cross one of those contact points. So a regular insulated wire would be too thick. If you have never used magnet wire before: It is insulated with some paint that will be burned off by soldering.

Note that when the climate control unit was left unplugged for more that 20 mins or so, the defrost light will blink for around 15 secs when the car is turned on for the first time. Don't panic, this is normal.

98en1j.jpg

Here are the schematics, the yellow box contains the newly added components:

a3ilau.jpg

Please note that the above circuit has evolved and was influenced by the components that were found in the desk drawer. There are many other ways to solve the problem.

The first approach just had the MOSFET and the 330 Ohm R1 resistor. The MOSFET gate was connected to the LED. When it is off the 12 Volts will switch on the MOSFET and put the R1 resistor in parallel with the heating fluid sensor to fake the high temperature reading.
That worked perfectly to switch the heater on/off until the car lights were turned on. The climate control unit then dims the LEDs. It does that with 200 Hz PWM signal with a 10% active low duty cycle. This has kept the heater off even when A/C was on. So to fix this, the rest of the circuit was added to remove that signal. D1 discharges the capacitor quickly, while R2 charges it very slowly. The voltage divider R3/R4 lowers the voltage below the MOSFET ~1 Volt gate threshold. If the signal remains high for a longer period than the 5 ms of the PWM signal, then the MOSFET turns on. You might be able to do without the two resistors if you use a Schottky diode instead of a regular one, as this lowers the voltage by .5 Volts and/or use a MOSFET with a higher threshold.

SMD components may have been a better choice. You could also use a 4016 CMOS IC with four analog switches to solve the problem. The neat thing here is the 300 Ohm on-resistance, so R1 is not required. Battery voltage (13.8 Volts) is on pin 31 of the M50 connector. The complete pin-out is on page HAC-48 of the service manual.

If you prefer to solder the modification on the component side of the PCB you can use the right side of the unpopulated C159 pads which connect to the T20 LED driver transistor.

wnxh.jpg

Here's a table that shows the resistance values of the heating fluid sensor (HAC-13 of the service manual), the temperature in degrees Celcius and the voltages on a 2012 Leaf. Note that the 2011 service manual page HAC-39 lists different voltages. It appears that the current resistor on the 5 Volts voltage divider for the sensor is 1000 Ohm. If the manual is correct it may have been 390 Ohms in the 2011 models. For the purposes of this modification it is largely irrelevant. Just to let you know in case you measure the circuit. For room temperature the voltage is 2.5 Volts and when the 330 Ohm resistor is active it is around 1 Volt.

R-Sensor Temp C Voltage
6770 -20 4.36
2500 0 3.57
1060 20 2.57
500 40 1.67
360 50 1.32
260 60 1.03
190 70 0.80
140 80 0.61

Enjoy!
the installation video are unavailabal

Back