Megan Racing "Street Series" Coilovers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armadillo

There is another option just becoming available. Megan Racing is developing a full coilover kit, with 32 way adjustable dampening on the front struts. The rear shocks are length adjustable and the rear spring perches allow for 3" of drop. I have installed the kit on my Leaf and am currently testing the system for them. I just asked tehm when it will be available and what the cost will be. I'll post the details as soon as I hear.

IMG_2966.jpg

^ Woo-whoo! Excellent! Looking forward to hearing more. Weather is getting warmer and driving the Leaf around in nice weather makes me sad since (among other things) it rolls like a well trained dog.

Armadillo said:
There is another option just becoming available. Megan Racing is developing a full coilover kit, with 32 way adjustable dampening on the front struts. The rear shocks are length adjustable and the rear spring perches allow for 3" of drop. I have installed the kit on my Leaf and am currently testing the system for them. I just asked tehm when it will be available and what the cost will be. I'll post the details as soon as I hear.
Those look very nice and I like the additional adjustability over the Tein units, please keep us updated...

Megan Racing confirmed these will be in their 'Street Series' with an MSRP of $999. Should be about a month when they will have these in full production. Here are a couple of shots with them on the car. Rear lowered 3 inches and front lowered 2-3/4 inches. Will go all the way back up to stock height. I also have a full write up of the install if anyone is interested. The kit was very easy to install. The ride is adjustable from a little stiffer than stock all the way up to track use, which I haven't found a use for yet. But its really nice to have the adjustability to tune it to whatever ride you prefer. It gives the car the much needed responsiveness that it lacks in stock form.

LoweredFrontandRear1.jpg

LoweredFrontandRear3.jpg

MOD NOTE: I split the Megan Racing posts into a new thread here from the Tein coilover thread.

Armadillo said:
Megan Racing confirmed these will be in their 'Street Series' with an MSRP of $999. Should be about a month when they will have these in full production.
Awesome! Will be quite a bit cheaper than shipping the Tein coilovers over and have more adjustability. Speaking of adjustability - will the coilovers let you adjust camber in the front or will you need camber bolts to do that?

Armadillo said:
Here are a couple of shots with them on the car. Rear lowered 3 inches and front lowered 2-3/4 inches.
Kind of amazing that all the way down just barely gets the tires tucking. Nissan really oversized the fender openings on the LEAF!

Armadillo said:
I also have a full write up of the install if anyone is interested.
Yes, definitely!

Armadillo said:
The ride is adjustable from a little stiffer than stock all the way up to track use, which I haven't found a use for yet. But its really nice to have the adjustability to tune it to whatever ride you prefer. It gives the car the much needed responsiveness that it lacks in stock form.
Does Megan Racing need any more testers before going into final production? ;) Glad that it is adjustable from just slightly stiffer than stock to suitable for track use - will let people dial in the ride that they prefer.

Awesome! Will be quite a bit cheaper than shipping the Tein coilovers over and have more adjustability. Speaking of adjustability - will the coilovers let you adjust camber in the front or will you need camber bolts to do that?

Not anymore. Just had my Tein coilovers delivered from nengun.com. Paid $1016 shipped to my door. The JPY to USD conversion has swung in our favor!

Of course they don't have the adjustable dampers like the Megan's. Oh well, too late for me.

drees said:
MOD NOTE: I split the Megan Racing posts into a new thread here from the Tein coilover thread.

Armadillo said:
Megan Racing confirmed these will be in their 'Street Series' with an MSRP of $999. Should be about a month when they will have these in full production.

These do not come with the adjustable camber plates. Some of the coilover kits on their site do come with the pillow ball top mount and adjustable camber plate so its possible you may be able to upgrade. Otherwise you would have to use camber bolts or some other method to adjust camber.

Armadillo said:
Here are a couple of shots with them on the car. Rear lowered 3 inches and front lowered 2-3/4 inches.
Kind of amazing that all the way down just barely gets the tires tucking. Nissan really oversized the fender openings on the LEAF!

You're right. On most cars, a 3" height adjustment would really tuck the tires. But there is a ton of gap on the stock setup so this height doesn't look that extreme. However the undercarriage of the car is definitely low to the ground. I'm used to driving lowered cars but I still manage to scrape on some speedbumps and driveways.

Armadillo said:
I also have a full write up of the install if anyone is interested.
Yes, definitely!

PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it over

Armadillo said:
The ride is adjustable from a little stiffer than stock all the way up to track use, which I haven't found a use for yet. But its really nice to have the adjustability to tune it to whatever ride you prefer. It gives the car the much needed responsiveness that it lacks in stock form.
Does Megan Racing need any more testers before going into final production? ;) Glad that it is adjustable from just slightly stiffer than stock to suitable for track use - will let people dial in the ride that they prefer.

I was going to post that as well but I looked on their site and the 'Looking for testers' link was no longer available for the Leaf Coilovers. So apparently they've got the data they need now, sorry.

Armadillo, this looks great and I appreciate your effort on this to get another option for us. A few questions... do you know what spring rates are on your vehicle, and if that's what they are going to keep? What size wheels/tires are you running?

No problem. And I am in the East Bay so if anyone wants to arrange a test drive or check them out I'm happy to help.

As far as the spring rates, the front is 5k and the rear is 4.5k, they are linear springs, not progressive. This is what will be supplied on the production version. I am checking to see if they can supply or make available a slightly shorter spring for the front so that there is a little more capability to go lower. The rear really can't go lower unless you were to trim down the supplied spring perch. With the perch on its lowest setting there is only about 1 inch of clearance between the perch and the lower spring mount. so you're limited to about 2 inches of suspension travel (due to the location of the spring vs the hub of the wheel, one inch in spring travel equates to 2 inches of wheel travel).

As far as wheels and tires. My rears are 16 X 9 (+20 offset) and fronts are 16 X 7.5 (+33 offset), all with the stock 205/55/16 Ecopia tires on them.

sick ride man.
it looks like Megan and BC are getting the coils made at the same place.

My BC's cost about the same and the ride height looks the same. I'm also in the east bay area hope to see you around.

didn't want to hijack your thread bro....

your 16in wheels looks nice, i wondered how the rims would look using the same stock tires. very clean and you didnt lose any efficiency.

Sorry for the rather basic question hailing from perhaps the duh file, due inexperience and ignorance, but what tools do I need to install beyond the real basic ones such as a wrench socket set, and a floor jack, stands, and tire bolt wrench?

For that matter, assume the LEAF is metric?

What about alignment checks post installation? I think my life would be better in the LEAF with a successful install...

Back in the day I took an entire car apart and put it back together, but not much wrenching in the last 30 years...

Should I just order and take over to my gasser sports car mechanic to install for me?

JimSouCal, The LEAF is very much metric. You won't need any additional tools than what the LEAF struts/shocks/springs require, which is what you mention. I am not sure how preloaded the OE springs are, you may need a spring compressor as well. I'm sure others can chime in. You will definitely need an alignment done after install.

Armadillo, can you give us some background on your driving experience and style? Do any autocrossing or track events? I'm curious how much you have pushed the car and how it behaves now. I find the LEAF to have some incredible understeer and would like to correct that some. Stiffer springs in back should help, and while I have no idea what the stock spring rates are, I am thinking the rears are much, much softer than the fronts. Feels that way at least.

This is great stuff... keep it coming. Thanks!!

eglee413 said:
sick ride man.
it looks like Megan and BC are getting the coils made at the same place.

My BC's cost about the same and the ride height looks the same. I'm also in the east bay area hope to see you around.

didn't want to hijack your thread bro....

That's pretty crazy, those look pretty much identical to the Megan Racing set. I think you're on to something there. That's great there are more options and companies coming up with offerings though. I'm curious if you had any issue with fitting your brake line in the tab on the side of the strut. Mine was just a little too small and I had to open it up to get the brake line fitting to seat properly. Megan is adjusting this for production but the BC's look the same, wondering if you had the same issue.

eglee413 said:
your 16in wheels looks nice, i wondered how the rims would look using the same stock tires. very clean and you didnt lose any efficiency.

Thanks! Yes I have actually noticed that with the addition of the wheels and the lowering I'm seeing about 8% increase in efficiency. The wheels are a few pounds lighter than stock and I drive 90% freeway so I think the aerodynamic gain of the lowering does have some effect.

I was also concerned about throwing off the speedometer by changing tire size although I have found a hidden menu in the Nav system, someone on here posted it, that allows you to adjust your speedometer calibration. So I wouldn't be too worried about that issue if it is a concern to anyone considering changing tire size.

marcucci said:
JimSouCal, The LEAF is very much metric. You won't need any additional tools than what the LEAF struts/shocks/springs require, which is what you mention. I am not sure how preloaded the OE springs are, you may need a spring compressor as well. I'm sure others can chime in. You will definitely need an alignment done after install.

Armadillo, can you give us some background on your driving experience and style? Do any autocrossing or track events? I'm curious how much you have pushed the car and how it behaves now. I find the LEAF to have some incredible understeer and would like to correct that some. Stiffer springs in back should help, and while I have no idea what the stock spring rates are, I am thinking the rears are much, much softer than the fronts. Feels that way at least.

The process really isn't that bad and doesn't require any specialty tools. The Coilovers come completely assembled and are a complete replacement of the stock strut so you don't have to disassemble the stock strut at all, just remove the entire thing, no spring compressors needed. The tougher part is just figuring out how to access the top of the strut, which requires removal of the windshield wipers (two 14mm nuts) and the cowl cover (some plastic clips). Once you have that figured out it goes pretty quickly - three bolts holding the top of the strut (13mm), two bolts holding the bottom of the strut (19 or 21mm, I don't remember off the top of my head) and one nut securing the sway bar connecting link (18mm).

The rear is easier, you just want to unbolt both shocks before you try to remove the rear springs otherwise the trailing arm wont drop low enough to get enough tension off of the spring to allow you to remove it. From there I would recommend a ratcheting end wrench to remove the top shock nut as there isn't very good access to this nut.

I do have a write-up I can send you that should give you a good idea what it will take. Allow yourself a few hours to be safe but if you've turned wrenches before you should be able to handle this on your own.

You do want to have the car aligned after installing these and you also want to get it pretty close when you install the new struts, I drew some reference lines on the lower mounts so I knew where the stock strut had been sitting. If you don't get the camber pretty close on the left side vs the right, the car will start randomly activating the traction control as you're driving, don't ask me how I know this...

i had a buddy put them on and he didn't mention that there was any major issue with fittment. maybe it was just a minor correct.

don't forget they are coming from taiwan. what might be a problem with your set of megans might not be a problem with another set. Since issues change set to set sometimes, they shouldn't but the reality is they do. lol

Thanks Armadillo and Marcucci. I scoped it out and it really does not look that hard. Looks like an upcoming summer weekend project along with wheels tires... Getting the ride tightened up and right will greatly improve my satisfaction with the LEAF.

Armadillo said:
marcucci said:

The process really isn't that bad and doesn't require any specialty tools. The Coilovers come completely assembled and are a complete replacement of the stock strut so you don't have to disassemble the stock strut at all, just remove the entire thing, no spring compressors needed. The tougher part is just figuring out how to access the top of the strut, which requires removal of the windshield wipers (two 14mm nuts) and the cowl cover (some plastic clips). Once you have that figured out it goes pretty quickly - three bolts holding the top of the strut (13mm), two bolts holding the bottom of the strut (19 or 21mm, I don't remember off the top of my head) and one nut securing the sway bar connecting link (18mm).

The rear is easier, you just want to unbolt both shocks before you try to remove the rear springs otherwise the trailing arm wont drop low enough to get enough tension off of the spring to allow you to remove it. From there I would recommend a ratcheting end wrench to remove the top shock nut as there isn't very good access to this nut.

I do have a write-up I can send you that should give you a good idea what it will take. Allow yourself a few hours to be safe but if you've turned wrenches before you should be able to handle this on your own.

You do want to have the car aligned after installing these and you also want to get it pretty close when you install the new struts, I drew some reference lines on the lower mounts so I knew where the stock strut had been sitting. If you don't get the camber pretty close on the left side vs the right, the car will start randomly activating the traction control as you're driving, don't ask me how I know this...

eglee413 said:
eglee, can you provide any more info on your BC's? I'd love to know where you got them!

-Phil

Back