nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

Re: Using the Leaf for power in a Blackout: MY "Leaf to Home"

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:44 am

RustyShackleford wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:22 pm
Just so you know ... I was hoping that Leaf Spy would tell me how much current I was sucking from the 12v system; yet I'm only seeing less than an amp. Helpful respondent at the Leaf Spy support thread pointed out that it's because I connected the inverter's '-' input to a chassis bolt (as you're supposed to do), not the the battery's negative terminal.
You would have detected the current if the car was turned ON such that the VCM was energized. i'm not sure if this occurs in Accessory Mode or if only in READY mode. Although i would think only in READY mode since the main contactors must be engaged in order to operate the DCDC converter which recharges the aux battery.

If you connect directly to the negative terminal, then the current sensor is by-passed and can not measure the external load.

The FSM Caution note about not connecting to the negative terminal directly is because an external load attached for an extended time could drain the 12V (and excessive drain could damage the aux battery).

Reagle
Delivery Date: 25 Jun 2018

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:26 pm

evtifosi, could you add a few pictures detailing connection to battery positive and your fuse?
Curious which bolt you tied to on the battery.
Btw, negative into "engine block" might be 8x1.2mm if my memory is correct
2018 Jade Frost SV with tech and weather packages
Delivery: 06/2018
Build date: 03/2018

evtifosi
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2015

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:00 pm

Just an update on mine:

We bought a used 2018 SV in June 2020 - I took the connector assembly out of the 2015 when we sold it and it bolted right into the 2018.

Took about 5 minutes.

If anyone wants more pics or details let me know (I didn't see the question from Dec 2109 until just now...)
2018 SV Leaf

sptleaf
Delivery Date: 18 Feb 2019

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 pm

I was considering adding an inverter to my 2019 Leaf S in case of rolling blackouts this summer. Has anyone tried this with the Goal Zero Home integration kit? It appears to be a transfer switch with a 3 prong plug made for their Goal Zero "solar generators". So, my idea was to get the 1500w/3000w surge Leaf inverter kit from EV Extend and plug it into the Goal Zero Home integration kit via the included 10 foot cable. This in theory would give me a good backup for the refrigerator, 7 cu. ft chest freezer, some lights, garage door, and our tankless water heater (gas). Not a lot of stuff, but just the essentials which I have measured with a Kill a Watt, and I could ration certain loads when needed to stay closer to 1000 watts or below. The big one would be the refrigerator which surges to 1500+ watts at start up but then comes way down. Do you think this would work? Other option I guess is to run extension cords from the inverter but the transfer switch looks much cleaner and my sub panel is in that garage already.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/yeti-acce ... ation-kit/

Here is a video that shows all the wires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brgqudO-T58
Last edited by sptleaf on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knightmb
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:25 pm

sptleaf wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 pm
I was considering adding an inverter to my 2019 Leaf S in case of rolling blackouts this summer. Has anyone tried this with the Goal Zero Home integration kit? It appears to be a transfer switch with a 3 prong plug made for their Goal Zero "solar generators". So, my idea was to get the 1500w/3000w surge Leaf inverter kit from EV Extend and plug it into the Goal Zero Home integration kit via the included 10 foot cable. This in theory would give me a good backup for the refrigerator, 7 cu. ft chest freezer, some lights, garage door, and our tankless water heater (gas). Not a lot of stuff, but just the essentials which I have measured with a Kill a Watt, and I could ration certain loads when needed to stay closer to 1000 watts or below. The big one would be the refrigerator which surges to 1500+ watts at start up but then comes way down. Do you think this would work? Other option I guess is to run extension cords from the inverter but the transfer switch looks much cleaner and my sub panel is in that garage already.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/yeti-acce ... ation-kit/
The kit looks neat, seems to only need a standard 120v power source (generator or anything that makes 120v in the correct polarity) and then the kit uses a double-pole throw device to switch between utility and whatever source you feed in. Not sure though if it will play nice with any GFCI outlets you have because if they detect any ground/neutral cross-connection it will trip them. Unless it transfers the ground also, but it doesn't appear to have enough wires to do that with 4 circuits (if you go by the picture anyway). If you can contact them, ask if the ground is transferred as well. Most others I've seen only transfer hot and neutral, leaving ground either floating or bonded with neutral at the switch (sometimes you have to do that manually otherwise). Definitely something you want a knowledgeable electrician to setup unless you already know about that stuff, then otherwise looks fine to me. :mrgreen:
2020 Leaf SL Plus

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:48 pm

We made a home built wannabeteslapowerwall out of a 2000 watt charger/inverter. Built in 100 amp 12 volt charger, sine wave inverter and transfer switch. We had it from an RV we used to own and took it out before we sold it. We picked up 2 X 105 amp hour group 31 AGM batteries, a 250 watt catastrophic fuse and a bunch of 2 gauge cable. We hard wired some secondary circuits to some critical loads like fridge, entertainment centre and one other receptacle. Works well. Good for about a day and a half.

One can run a trickle charge line from the Tesla power point via an inverter and 7 amp charger which will keep it running for about a week. I have heard of people tapping into the Tesla 12 volt battery but I think Tesla frowns on that so I'll avoid that.

Here are a couple pics. We made it look nice in the garage but behind the pretty cover its pretty raw.

2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:55 pm

For that load you may want to use 3 or 4 of those batteries, to avoid damaging them with 90% or more drains. I'm using three for my version, which will run the fridge, freezer, and maybe the sump pump. The marine inverter is only rated for 1200 watts continuous, but has a 400% surge capacity for 20 or so seconds.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:55 am

That is a great setup. One thing you might want to consider is to add fuses between the batteries. If there is a cell failure (fail shorted) in a battery, the other battery(ies) in parallel dump energy into the failed battery. If you put a fuse between each positive (or negative) terminal and the associated bus, then the failed battery is removed from the circuit and the remaining batteries continue on charge or supplying load. Otherwise, the shorted battery may fail catastrophically.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

webeleafowners

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:24 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:55 am
That is a great setup. One thing you might want to consider is to add fuses between the batteries. If there is a cell failure (fail shorted) in a battery, the other battery(ies) in parallel dump energy into the failed battery. If you put a fuse between each positive (or negative) terminal and the associated bus, then the failed battery is removed from the circuit and the remaining batteries continue on charge or supplying load. Otherwise, the shorted battery may fail catastrophically.
That’s a good idea Gerry. I have a smaller 100 amp catastrophic fuse that would probably work as the load is just not that much.

Thanks for the idea.

webeleafowners

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:29 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:55 pm
For that load you may want to use 3 or 4 of those batteries, to avoid damaging them with 90% or more drains. I'm using three for my version, which will run the fridge, freezer, and maybe the sump pump. The marine inverter is only rated for 1200 watts continuous, but has a 400% surge capacity for 20 or so seconds.
Yah I’ll give that some thought Leftie. The longest outage we have had in the last 5 years has been around 18 hours. At that point I was planning on bringing the Motorhome with its built in generator over. But in a pinch I could always use the trickle charge from the Tesla PowerPoint which should be good for about a week according to my tests. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there. The Motorhome is a better option really.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”