RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Re: Spare Tire Mod

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Nubo wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:...As for this stuff becoming weaponized, I can see only one scenario where it might happen: going over multiple large bumps while braking on a steep downhill stretch...
The forces in a collision are greater than most people imagine, and collision dynamics are unpredictable. Any heavy objects can become missiles in the cabin. You'd do well to fabricate hold-down mounts.
Yes, unsecured objects (especially heavy objects) in the trunk of a car can be deadly in a crash. Don't think that upright back seat or especially that papier mache cargo area cover will protect you either.

Several years ago, the British TV show Fifth Gear (back when it was aired on Speed Channel) did an experiment in which they loaded the "boot" (trunk) of a car with several common items including a few heavy ones like a toolbox, and simulated a sudden high-speed impact on a test rig. Slow-motion cameras show the back seat latches to be basically ineffective; the items just slid through the middle part of the split fold down seat and made their way forward, only to be stopped by the dashboard and firewall.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:49 pm

That's Awesome! Well not really, my trunk is filled with Tools, Screw Guns, Drills, Screws, 60LB Subwoofer!

That' one of the reasons I mounted my spare under the trunk floor. I couldn't give up the space.
RonDawg wrote:
Nubo wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:...As for this stuff becoming weaponized, I can see only one scenario where it might happen: going over multiple large bumps while braking on a steep downhill stretch...
The forces in a collision are greater than most people imagine, and collision dynamics are unpredictable. Any heavy objects can become missiles in the cabin. You'd do well to fabricate hold-down mounts.
Yes, unsecured objects (especially heavy objects) in the trunk of a car can be deadly in a crash. Don't think that upright back seat or especially that papier mache cargo area cover will protect you either.

Several years ago, the British TV show Fifth Gear (back when it was aired on Speed Channel) did an experiment in which they loaded the "boot" (trunk) of a car with several common items including a few heavy ones like a toolbox, and simulated a sudden high-speed impact on a test rig. Slow-motion cameras show the back seat latches to be basically ineffective; the items just slid through the middle part of the split fold down seat and made their way forward, only to be stopped by the dashboard and firewall.
Fenix Power Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement - LEAF 380 / LEAF380

For more info click here: http://LEAF380.com

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Ok, so we need a way to hold down the spare cover and all the bombs and missiles under it. If the seats won't hold in a crash, what do we use as an anchor? Don't say "the floor," because a lot of us lease.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:05 pm

RonDawg wrote:Several years ago, the British TV show Fifth Gear (back when it was aired on Speed Channel) .
Fifth Gear still shows on Velocity. Friday nights...7pm Pacific.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 pm

mwalsh wrote:
RonDawg wrote:Several years ago, the British TV show Fifth Gear (back when it was aired on Speed Channel) .
Fifth Gear still shows on Velocity. Friday nights...7pm Pacific.
Yes but I'm referring to an old episode, long before Discovery Networks bought the rights to the show. I have not seen any of the pre-Discovery episodes being shown on Velocity.

Speed Channel may still own the US broadcast rights to the episodes that they broadcast here.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

ttime4four
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 415842

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:45 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Ok, so we need a way to hold down the spare cover and all the bombs and missiles under it. If the seats won't hold in a crash, what do we use as an anchor? Don't say "the floor," because a lot of us lease.
I suspect there are some hard points back there -- seat mounting hardware, using epoxy to fasten a tie down of sorts, finding a spot in the left side cubby to tether to, etc. With some creativity, you could make a semi permanent solution that is probably fully reversible at lease end.

So I'd look at this from the risks perspective. This thread is about avoiding the risk of waiting for a tow (in the remote likelihood of a flat that cannot be fixed with the can and pump): To avoid that risk, two other risks are introduced:

* There is a risk that you get dinged by Nissan on the lease return if you make modifications to secure this load, or
* There is a risk that a 40+ lb object starts bouncing around inside the cabin when you don't want it to.

It is about risk management.

djjazzy
Delivery Date: 21 Sep 2013

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 am

ttime4four wrote:
I suspect there are some hard points back there -- seat mounting hardware, using epoxy to fasten a tie down of sorts, finding a spot in the left side cubby to tether to, etc. With some creativity, you could make a semi permanent solution that is probably fully reversible at lease end.

So I'd look at this from the risks perspective. This thread is about avoiding the risk of waiting for a tow (in the remote likelihood of a flat that cannot be fixed with the can and pump): To avoid that risk, two other risks are introduced:

* There is a risk that you get dinged by Nissan on the lease return if you make modifications to secure this load, or
* There is a risk that a 40+ lb object starts bouncing around inside the cabin when you don't want it to.

It is about risk management.

All points well taken. Almost makes me want to remove the spare tire and jack, to eliminate the risk of objects bouncing around. I'm gonna look for a way to secure the objects instead. I can mod, cuz no lease involved. Any ideas on how to secure the tire, jack. etc.. to avoid it being bounced around?

LeftieBiker

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:47 am

The jack and tire iron can be secured under the seats (I left my aftermarket jack in its box, with some bubblewrap padding), leaving just the spare and the plywood cover to worry about. The more completely the spare is immobilized, the less strength is needed to hold it. You could probably put several long carriage bolts through the (ouch!) floor, and have them go through lug holes in the rim, securing them with wingnuts.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

djjazzy
Delivery Date: 21 Sep 2013

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:15 am

LeftieBiker wrote:You could probably put several long carriage bolts through the (ouch!) floor, and have them go through lug holes in the rim, securing them with wingnuts.

That sounds like a good plan. I'll look into using carriage bolts to hold the spare in place through a couple lug holes, securing them with wingnuts. That should hold the tire in place, much better that using nothing at all. Thanks for the suggestion.

LeftieBiker

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:32 pm

You're welcome. I suggest you use either large, thick washers or steel brackets to spread the load on the underside of the floor.

I cut a false floor this evening, from 1/2" exterior plywood: it isn't a full false floor, because the Bose subwoofer unit is in the way, but it looks fine with the subwoofer exposed. I still have to put in the hinge, though - this isn't really optional as I had thought, because I wasn't able to get the piece into the hatch in one piece, and had to cut the left side off. It may be possible to get it in through a door, but I didn't think of that at the time. The new "floor" is higher in my car because I have a larger spare, but it looks pretty good. Now *I* have to find a way to secure the spare...
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Return to “Accessories / Mods”